Author Topic: Steve Kerr speaks the truth  (Read 1446 times)

Steve Kerr speaks the truth
« on: May 27, 2018, 12:11:19 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Kerr on NFL protest ban: “It’s just typical of the NFL. They’re just playing to their fanbase. Basically just trying to use the anthem as fake patriotism, nationalism, scaring people. It’s idiotic. But that’s how the NFL has conducted their business.

I’m proud to be in a league that understands patriotism in America is about free speech and peacefully protesting. Our leadership in the NBA understands when the NFL players were kneeling, they were kneeling to protest police brutality, to protest racial inequality. They weren’t disrespecting the flag of the military. But our president decided to make it about that and the NFL followed suit, pandered to their fanbase, created this hysteria.

It’s kind of what’s wrong with our country right now—people in high places are trying to divide us, divide loyalties, make this about the flag as if the flag is something other than it really is—which is a representation of what we’re about, which is diversity, peaceful protests, right to free speech. It’s ironic actually.”

https://theathletic.com/367157/2018/05/24/steve-kerr-delivers-scathing-criticism-of-the-nfls-new-national-anthem-rule/

Re: Steve Kerr speaks the truth
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 12:21:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Exactly! What the flag stands for is way more important than the flag itself!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:31:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't agree with Kerr

But more importantly why is he commenting on another leagues issue to the media?   Is he going to comment about what is going on with North Korea next?

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:34:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"It's just typical of the NFL". Hey, Steve, the NBA has had a more stringent anthem policy for much longer. What have you done about it?

What a tool.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:39:50 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:37:27 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
i'd like to see him back up those words and kneel if we play them

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:52:57 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
What a hypocrite. The league you are currently a part of forces the players to all stand. At least the nfl gives them the choice to stay in the locker room lol. And it's been like that for years now..

My opinion, there's a time and a place to protest and it's not during the national anthem. I dont care if you say you're not trying to disrespect, you can't tell someone not to feel disrespected if you do something that goes against their beliefs.
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This already happened in the NBA in 1996: 

"Rather, he comments that many American Muslims are still sorting out their beliefs. Denver Nuggets guard Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who created a small stir last year by sitting during the US national anthem, "misunderstood" Islam, Olajuwon says. "The advice he got was not the best advice. He took things to an extreme, whereas Islam is a flexible faith, giving you a lot of choices."

I can't find it as a direct quote but I believe Olajuwan said that as a Muslim should stand for the flag out of respect for the country you are in even if you disagree with things that the government does or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:11:04 AM by liam »

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:36:04 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Ya know I might listen to what the NFL owner's had to say if their position wasn't precipitated by the comments of a draft dodger who called POW's cowards and then became a super flag waver.  Where was his patriotism when he could have served his country?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
"It's just typical of the NFL". Hey, Steve, the NBA has had a more stringent anthem policy for much longer. What have you done about it?

What a tool.
B-but his virtue signalling!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)