Author Topic: The Official Guerschon Yabusele Shanghai-CBA 2016/17 Season Highlights Thread  (Read 24814 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, not to be the one to take this thread further off-topic (apologies), but why is it okay to call Caucasians "white", Africans "black", but not Asians "yellow"? What is the difference? Every race seemingly has a color associated with their skin tone (incl. red/brown).

Seems to me it's when we label a certain skin color as the reason for some sort of lesser value that is when you have an issue (racism).  I don't see that is what happened here, though. If someone joked that a team wearing black uniforms, but had mostly all white players, was the "white" team I doubt people would care. It'd just be a mildly humorous joke that most people would just look past.

Just seems like weird set of rules for which race can be referred to by their skin tone and which one's can't.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The reason is because people used to call Asian people "yellow" in an insulting, racist manner.  Calling someone black or white is traditionally not used in a racist manner.  So the answer is that racists ruined it for everybody and a word game isnt going to change that.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The competition this guy is playing is so garbage. Hard to tell what we have in him. Really liked him in the summer league though.

That's what they said About Giannis and Gobert.
were they wrong?

Not exactly but competition is not always a measure of success in the NBA.

Correct - not sure why people in this country criticize competition against players in Europe, China, etc...but will rave about US players dunking on 15 year olds.

well the us players dunking on 15 year olds are also 15 year olds. so it is a fair comparison....

I am one of those people you mention. The thing is that i am not from the US. I live i Europe (Germany at the moment) and i watch every week european bball. You can trust the Spanish league , the Turkish league , the Euroleague, the Russian league. After that it gets a bit tricky.... Italy , France, Greece .... Maybe Germany ,Poland,Israel. And that is it.

I can"t believe that someone will rave about Yabushele or Zizic without any knowledge of their competition. Zizic 60% of his games are against players who couldn't even get the last spot on an NBDL bench. If you are saying it it the same thing playing in Spain the second best league in the world and playing in Latvia against summerleague outcasts then i don"t know what else to say

1) No, they rave about 18 and 19 year olds destroying 15 year olds

2) 100% of games of US high schoolers are played against players who can't play in the D-leauge, and at least 90% will never play again after high school. 

My point stands, the competition does not matter.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Well, not to be the one to take this thread further off-topic (apologies), but why is it okay to call Caucasians "white", Africans "black", but not Asians "yellow"? What is the difference? Every race seemingly has a color associated with their skin tone (incl. red/brown).

Seems to me it's when we label a certain skin color as the reason for some sort of lesser value that is when you have an issue (racism).  I don't see that is what happened here, though. If someone joked that a team wearing black uniforms, but had mostly all white players, was the "white" team I doubt people would care. It'd just be a mildly humorous joke that most people would just look past.

Just seems like weird set of rules for which race can be referred to by their skin tone and which one's can't.
the history race for asians in in america is complex and filled with racial stereotypes. being "yellow" is one of them. it was regularly used in a derogeratory way and was part of the larger discourses used by a dominate group to belittle and marginalize others. the point to that was to perpetuate a larger system of domination.

not all forms of racial stereotyping are the same from group to group. yet the damage done remains.

since asian are not really "yellow", labeling them this way had a purpose of separating and demeaning them for many years. it was part of a larger practice of discrimination.

watermelon is an innocent fruit. it is tasty. what could possibly be discriminatory about saying one group of people like to eat it a lot? the answer is clearly "plenty" since watermelon once (still is) used as as part of a larger process of demeaning another group.

are posters here that oblivious to the power of stereotypes and their harmful history? is this the new norm on this board?

the use of yellow above was a direct and intentional use of a term to label a group based upon race. yes. i object to such usage of language.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

the history race for asians in in america is complex and filled with racial stereotypes. being "yellow" is one of them. it was regularly used in a derogeratory way and was part of the larger discourses used by a dominate group to belittle and marginalize others. the point to that was to perpetuate a larger system of domination.

not all forms of racial stereotyping are the same from group to group. yet the damage done remains.

since asian are not really "yellow", labeling them this way had a purpose of separating and demeaning them for many years. it was part of a larger practice of discrimination.

watermelon is an innocent fruit. it is tasty. what could possibly be discriminatory about saying one group of people like to eat it a lot? the answer is clearly "plenty" since watermelon once (still is) used as as part of a larger process of demeaning another group.

are posters here that oblivious to the power of stereotypes and their harmful history? is this the new norm on this board?

the use of yellow above was a direct and intentional use of a term to label a group based upon race. yes. i object to such usage of language.

Great post, but what is far more shocking than his comment is the complete lack of attention to it by the moderators - PATHETIC. 

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I'm generally of the opinion if it okay to identify one race by their skin color it is acceptable to do so for all. Either that, or it is wrong do so for all.

Call that ignorance or what ever you may, I'm not concerned.  I don't view any race as lesser than any other, nor would I ever take any discriminatory act against another race.

So maybe we should just stop referring to all races by an assigned skin "color". Otherwise you are a hypocrit of the highest order.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm generally of the opinion if it okay to identify one race by their skin color it is acceptable to do so for all. Either that, or it is wrong do so for all.

Call that ignorance or what ever you may, I'm not concerned.  I don't view any race as lesser than any other, nor would I ever take any discriminatory act against another race.

So maybe we should just stop referring to all races by an assigned skin "color". Otherwise you are a hypocrit of the highest order.
Completely agree, and I am "yellow" myself. I started this by misunderstanding the person who said the team was white (I did not notice that he was referring to their shirts rather than skin colour.) And as for the people saying it's racist, let me tell you guys, what happened in America isn't really related to this because the game is in China. In China we call our race as "yellow". I don't see anything wrong with calling my own race with a term that is widely accepted.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

In America and not in China. The game was in China and Chinese refer their race as "yellow". Don't see anything wrong with that, I may have misunderstood the original post because I did not notice he was referring to the colour of the shirts, but I did not mean to be racist in any manner, being a member of the race I was not "insulting" myself
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:53:14 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I will say, I shouldn't have let this thread get further off-topic, I regret that.

Let's not get this thread locked. If anyone wants to further discuss rationally they can start a new thread. I may or may not join in the discussion.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
The reason is because people used to call Asian people "yellow" in an insulting, racist manner.  Calling someone black or white is traditionally not used in a racist manner.  So the answer is that racists ruined it for everybody and a word game isnt going to change that.
That is not true tbh. I don't know about America, but Chinese refer themselves as yellow (myself included)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I will say, I shouldn't have let this thread get further off-topic, I regret that.

Let's not get this thread locked. If anyone wants to further discuss rationally they can start a new thread. I may or may not join in the discussion.

Well I think I have some blame in that too, I did not know that people here are uninformed that Chinese call themselves yellow when asked about their race in china
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
why is it okay to call Caucasians "white"

Actually, the Caucasus is in Asia.  So technically, all Caucasians are Asians.

You're welcome.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
why is it okay to call Caucasians "white"

Actually, the Caucasus is in Asia.  So technically, all Caucasians are Asians.

You're welcome.

Historically, and geographically speaking the Caucasus Mountains are in both Europe and Asia and considered the dividing line between the two continents. More recently they have been assigned more towards Asia due to the current ethnicity of the general population in the region.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Caucasus

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
1. I can't decide if this is guy fat or just has one of those bulky bodies.

2. The white team does not know what returning back to defense off a rebound is.
It's yellow...he's in China
trump, is that you?
No, I misunderstood that the white team was referred by their shirts and not the colour of their skin. Btw yellow is not racist to Chinese people, they call themselves that sometimes
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Completely agree, and I am "yellow" myself. I started this by misunderstanding the person who said the team was white (I did not notice that he was referring to their shirts rather than skin colour.) And as for the people saying it's racist, let me tell you guys, what happened in America isn't really related to this because the game is in China. In China we call our race as "yellow". I don't see anything wrong with calling my own race with a term that is widely accepted.

It's not at all accepted here in the States, and that is where this website is based, in case you hadn't noticed.  A lot of people think it's okay to call a Chinese person a "chink."  If I walked up to you and called you that to your face, you might rethink your position.