Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 49237 times)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Willing to give Hayward one more year. If he does not improve this season and is not Utah Gordon...cut him loose.
How are you going to do that?  If he doesn't improve he'll pick up his 34M player option. 
So you'll have to give up a lot to get rid of him or take on bad contracts.

I really want him to succeed in Boston. Get back to the guy that made the All Star team. But after this past season, I am having a hard time seeing it from him.

He needs to be 23 ppg 8 plus boards 3 plus assists kind of player for Boston and for that money

He's never been a 23/8/3 player ever.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2019, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
How about we do 2 year at the max - $78M total?
That’s more than he made before he signed here three years ago

« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2019, 11:30:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
So either it’s posturing or tampering, but something is apparently up.

Whatever, I don’t even care if he walks too. Blow it up.

This season went about as bad as possible. Regular season was frustratingly inconsistent. Playoffs epitomized that with five straight wins followed by four straight losses. Then we lost just about all tiebreakers in the lottery. Kyrie is leaving. AD never comes. Now Horford apparently ready to walk.

Yikes, what a difference a year makes. This time last year we were brimming with confidence after a deep playoff run and two all-stars on the way back with two budding young stars.

Ugh.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Thing about losing Al would be this team would have absolutely no steady leadership.

Smart is not level headed

Tatum and Brown have no idea how to be a leader

Rozier cares only about himself

Hayward wilted under the lights last year. Just disappeared. He is not a leader at all.

Then you throw in more rookies or guys new to Boston...going to be a rudderless ship.

I don’t know maybe time for the coach to take his head outta the clouds and do something?

« Reply #499 on: June 18, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Thing about losing Al would be this team would have absolutely no steady leadership.

Smart is not level headed

Tatum and Brown have no idea how to be a leader

Rozier cares only about himself

Hayward wilted under the lights last year. Just disappeared. He is not a leader at all.

Then you throw in more rookies or guys new to Boston...going to be a rudderless ship.

I don’t know maybe time for the coach to take his head outta the clouds and do something?

Well this team is going to be a step above a college team with all the young players. Stevens is said to do well with that.

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Danny is hauling off and destroying the entire team. He doesn't deserve the chance to oversee another rebuild. He either corrects the ship and retains our Stars, or he leaves. I hope Wyc realizes this.

There is no indication of this. Wyc will probably let Ainge stay until he can turn it over to his son. I doubt Ainge even has to face hard questions from ownership.

« Reply #501 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
So either it’s posturing or tampering, but something is apparently up.

Whatever, I don’t even care if he walks too. Blow it up.

This season went about as bad as possible. Regular season was frustratingly inconsistent. Playoffs epitomized that with five straight wins followed by four straight losses. Then we lost just about all tiebreakers in the lottery. Kyrie is leaving. AD never comes. Now Horford apparently ready to walk.

Yikes, what a difference a year makes. This time last year we were brimming with confidence after a deep playoff run and two all-stars on the way back with two budding young stars.

Ugh.

That is sort of what gives me pause for optimism. The fact is when all the dust settles, the main pieces that made it to the Eastern conference finals will still be intact, that is, potentially, minus a Horford with less miles than this Horford. I’m okay with it. I don’t want to say that Horford is starting to break down, but I will say that injuries have begun to take their toll and we saw it this season.  He was not the same player that he was in the playoffs in 2018. Horford walking would give the Celtics tremendous cap flexibility with a young talented core in place, and low expectations. That’s a good recipe for Danny Ainge in for Brad Stevens to cook a pretty good meal, let’s say.

« Reply #502 on: June 18, 2019, 11:39:01 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
good luck to al, may be for the best for the c's, go young let Tatum and Brown develop, perhaps Hayward gets better and becomes an asset.

Right now its time to rebuild go conservative, pick all three pick and preserve cap space beyond two years

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Willing to give Hayward one more year. If he does not improve this season and is not Utah Gordon...cut him loose.
How are you going to do that?  If he doesn't improve he'll pick up his 34M player option. 
So you'll have to give up a lot to get rid of him or take on bad contracts.

I really want him to succeed in Boston. Get back to the guy that made the All Star team. But after this past season, I am having a hard time seeing it from him.

He needs to be 23 ppg 8 plus boards 3 plus assists kind of player for Boston and for that money

He's never been a 23/8/3 player ever.

Gladly take his 2016 stat line. 22 ppg, 40 percent from 3, 5 rpg, 4 assists.

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I realize how important Al was to this team and our offensive sets. But he is 33 years old. A 4 year contract takes him to 38 years old in the last yer of his contract. No thanks.

The posturing that Al will go sign a 4 year contract with another team. No kidding he will. But I don't believe another team will offer him this. Thus he will return to the negotiation table after testing free agency and if the bridge wasn't burned, we can revisit matching whatever 2 or 3 year offer teams are likely to offer him is within our acceptable range. Or he signs elsewhere and we thank him for his tremendous professionalism, watch the youth movement (more minutes for Time Lord) and see what Danny and Co. are able to pull off with a bunch of young cornerstone players already, enough room to sign a max player and league exception player, and a bevy of draft picks moving forward.

I don't see this as doom and gloom at all.

If losing isn't doom in gloom then things are perfectly fine.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I took a longer nap than usual this evening...woke up, went to the fridge and my oldest son comes up to me and says - "Dad, I have some bad news"

He is normally upbeat and positive so when he came to me with THIS I "KNEW" it had to be BOS-related.....

And it's not football season (Washington Redskins), so I quickly ruled that out. Sept - Dec? Then YES any bad news sports-related from my son is PROBABLY about our Washington Redskins.

But now? Big Al too??

C'MON Man..................................

« Reply #506 on: June 19, 2019, 12:00:37 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Mark Murphy
@Murf56

1h
League source: Celtics believe Horford may already have a good idea of where he's headed, after such a dramatic step back from negotiations.

https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/1141169268949704704
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #507 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Mark Murphy
@Murf56

1h
League source: Celtics believe Horford may already have a good idea of where he's headed, after such a dramatic step back from negotiations.

So they basically know he was tampered with.

« Reply #508 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:23 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Mark Murphy
@Murf56

1h

So they basically know he was tampered with.

Pretty much.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #509 on: June 19, 2019, 12:07:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey