Author Topic: i don't see how tony allen fits  (Read 14032 times)

Re: i don't see how tony allen fits
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »

Offline eat ur wheaties

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
I still can't believe all the Tony hate around here. If you had Pose in that second unit and not Tony we wouldn't score. We'd have 3 guys sitting on the perimeter magically hoping to get open, BBD taking contested midrange jumpers and Powe trying to work in the post with heavy pressure on him. The fact of the matter is that Tony is one of the only players on our second unit that other teams defenses have to adjust to. Even though he isn't the worlds greatest kickout passer, he can do it (and has developed some nice chemistry with Eddie recently) and defenses have to collapse on him as he drives. Everyone also seems to forget about his defense, it is spot on. I hate to bang on about this point about him not being clutch, but Celtics fans seem to remember the bad and forget the good with the utmost ease sometimes. Yeah, he screwed up on TMac who got the classic bailout call. Remember that game in San Antonio? Where Manu basically jumped into him to try and draw the foul and ended up easily missing what would have been a pretty uncontested 3? Speaking of which. Turnover Tony? Is that what we call a guy who has 2 steals and 1 turnover nowadays? Out of control Tony who takes all these bad shots just happened to get 4 points on 1-1 shooting. The consistent hate for some players around here amazes me. That being said, it's probably brought on by the consistent love for Tony shown by some. The way we see him is pretty similar to the way he plays, the guy you love to hate or hate to love.

Just finally, on his jumpshot. His huge injury around 21 months  ago still has been plaguing his lift all the way until the end of last season. Then in the short offseason, instead of expecting him to keep doing core strength work to improve the knee and so on we're expecting him to spend what would be all of a very short offseason to "fix" his jumper? I'd say that people are sleeping on his jumper though, it's been much improved this season just with consistent hops. Also, with the slashing threat he has defenders can't play so heavily which gives him more room to go up uncontested.

I apologise if I come off at all harsh, it's 8.30 in the morning and I have an exam this arvo :D
j

TP.

ive been wondering the same thing.  he is not the roundest ball in the basket (literally & figuratively), and he knew what role he would be playing when the C's resigned him.  hes still a bit out of control on offense(charge in 4th qtr monday off his own missed 3), but played tight D on kapono.  he can get to the hoop, which nobody on the bench can do, plays D and hustles.  id like to see him take less 3's and more midrange (ask cassell).  http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2004.html

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Both TA and Rondo can get to the rim  virtually at will. So let them do what they do best.

How exactly can players get to the rim at will when facing, for example, a compact 2-3 zone, no matter how good they are doing it? I mean, if you have  an answer to this question, you can become an instant billionaire, there's a fortune to be made on books and dvds.

Ah, yes. Exaggeration in an attempt to prove a point. One of the great staples of the blog. TA can get to the rim at will, now. Of course, he doesn't always bring the ball with him. And sometimes he hurts himself.

Decent outside shot?   ;D Yeah, right there with Quinton Ross. One undersize shooter off the bench isn't enough. Period. You know, that fella #50 who doesn't start. The bench.

Guy's playing pretty well defensively. His judgment with the ball is better, but it hardly qualifies as good. And as for the perimeter shooting, not there. Not likely to be, either. The fictionalizing of this guy's skill set on this board never ceases to amaze me. The Gerald Green "Welcome to Fantasy Island" Award.

Excuse me, but I'm not ready to dust off a space for TA in Springfield.

Windex away, fellers.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »

Offline jerrykid69

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Tony Allen gives me a headache. It's like he plays for Tony Allen not for the Celtics. He dribbles, and dribbles some more, then dribbles some more. Then loses the ball.
“They played well when they had to. Paul Pierce is the best in the business when it comes to hitting fourth-quarter shots.”

-Kevin Garnett-

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »

Offline phaze

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
Tony Allen gives me a headache. It's like he plays for Tony Allen not for the Celtics. He dribbles, and dribbles some more, then dribbles some more. Then loses the ball.

Stats don't agree.  He has the 2nd lowest TO per 48 minutes of any Celtic guard and 3rd best among the 9 guys that actually play (House and BB are better).

He didn't do much tonight, though I thought he played good D.  So far, he's been our best bench player.  His numbers are very good.

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 07:03:22 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Stats don't agree.  He has the 2nd lowest TO per 48 minutes of any Celtic guard and 3rd best among the 9 guys that actually play (House and BB are better).

He didn't do much tonight, though I thought he played good D.  So far, he's been our best bench player.  His numbers are very good.

Getting Gabe Pruitt some action on the second unit together with Tony should help.  at least, in preseason Pruitt shot well from beyond the arc.  I know House is supposed to provide that, but having both House and Pruitt should help.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
If it wasn't for tony allen we probably would have a few more losses on the board right now. 

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Both TA and Rondo can get to the rim  virtually at will. So let them do what they do best.

How exactly can players get to the rim at will when facing, for example, a compact 2-3 zone, no matter how good they are doing it? I mean, if you have  an answer to this question, you can become an instant billionaire, there's a fortune to be made on books and dvds.

Ah, yes. Exaggeration in an attempt to prove a point. One of the great staples of the blog. TA can get to the rim at will, now. Of course, he doesn't always bring the ball with him. And sometimes he hurts himself.

Decent outside shot?   ;D Yeah, right there with Quinton Ross. One undersize shooter off the bench isn't enough. Period. You know, that fella #50 who doesn't start. The bench.

Guy's playing pretty well defensively. His judgment with the ball is better, but it hardly qualifies as good. And as for the perimeter shooting, not there. Not likely to be, either. The fictionalizing of this guy's skill set on this board never ceases to amaze me. The Gerald Green "Welcome to Fantasy Island" Award.

Excuse me, but I'm not ready to dust off a space for TA in Springfield.

Windex away, fellers.

I seem to remember you making a bunch of doom and gloom predictions this summer. Things like losing a lot more games than last year and the big 3 playing ruinous amounts of minutes. I'd wait until my predictions were a little closer to accurate before I smugly scoff at all of the foolish opinions out there.