Author Topic: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread  (Read 61223 times)

Re: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« Reply #630 on: January 10, 2024, 09:09:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 559
Wonder who next Alabama coach will be? One of his assistants? Something like Coach K did with his assistant to become coach
There is no obvious heir apparent.  There were no rumors of anyone being groomed to take over.
Kevin Steele, the DC, just retired a few days ago.  Tommy Rees, the OC, just got to Bama a year ago and has never been an HC.  No one obvious from the HC ranks either.  Lots of pluses with being the Bama HC but do you really want to be the HC who immediately replaces Saban?

« Reply #631 on: January 11, 2024, 06:45:03 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Wonder who next Alabama coach will be? One of his assistants? Something like Coach K did with his assistant to become coach
There is no obvious heir apparent.  There were no rumors of anyone being groomed to take over.
Kevin Steele, the DC, just retired a few days ago.  Tommy Rees, the OC, just got to Bama a year ago and has never been an HC.  No one obvious from the HC ranks either.  Lots of pluses with being the Bama HC but do you really want to be the HC who immediately replaces Saban?
Thanks bout putting about no heir apparent cause I didn’t know plus your right, do u really want to replace a legend? Going be hard and lot of pressure
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #632 on: January 11, 2024, 01:33:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
Joel Klatt said today he'd be pretty surprised if Kalen DeBoer wasn't the next Alabama coach.

That seems strange to me as I'm not sure Alabama is going to be a better job in a world with NIL than Washington is with all those Seattle mega companies and with them in the Big Ten.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #633 on: January 12, 2024, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Joel Klatt said today he'd be pretty surprised if Kalen DeBoer wasn't the next Alabama coach.

That seems strange to me as I'm not sure Alabama is going to be a better job in a world with NIL than Washington is with all those Seattle mega companies and with them in the Big Ten.
Bama is clearly the better job if you want to compete at the highest level but if you want the easier, less pressure job that would certainly be Washington. Washington doesn't recruit well.  They rank 36th in the 2024 class and ranked 26th in the 2023 class.  That's bottom of the barrel recruiting in the SEC.  It is fat cat boosters who are providing the NIL money not corporations.  Corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.  There's no reason or justification for corporations like Microsoft and Boeing to give NIL money so that Washington can recruit better. 

I don't know much about DeBoer but I'm concerned that he doesn't appear to have any SEC ties or experience recruiting in the south.  Bryan Harsin had the same issues and was an absolute disaster for Auburn.  Now under Hugh Freeze they just jumped to 7th ranked in the 2023 recruiting class. 

Edit:  Lanning probably would have been my 1st choice from the realistic options but he's staying at Oregon.  Norvell just got a big 8-year extension from FSU so another option off the table. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:50:58 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #634 on: January 12, 2024, 01:03:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Bama is clearly the better job if you want to compete at the highest level but if you want the easier, less pressure job that would certainly be Washington. Washington doesn't recruit well.  They rank 36th in the 2024 class and ranked 26th in the 2023 class.  That's bottom of the barrel recruiting in the SEC.  It is fat cat boosters who are providing the NIL money not corporations.  Corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.  There's no reason or justification for corporations like Microsoft and Boeing to give NIL money so that Washington can recruit better. 

I don't know much about DeBoer but I'm concerned that he doesn't appear to have any SEC ties or experience recruiting in the south.  Bryan Harsin had the same issues and was an absolute disaster for Auburn.  Now under Hugh Freeze they just jumped to 7th ranked in the 2023 recruiting class. 

Edit:  Lanning probably would have been my 1st choice from the realistic options but he's staying at Oregon.  Norvell just got a big 8-year extension from FSU so another option off the table.
big corporations have lots and lots of very wealthy people working at them though. And as they change the NIL rules it will be easier for big corporations to justify giving that money as it is likely going to the schools.  Washington was in the Pac 12, they are in the Big Ten next year. That will help their recruiting a lot as it plays out, or at least it should.

The bigger issue may just be DeBoer while an excellent game day coach doesn't appear to be a great recruiter.  Under Peterson, UW was consistently pulling in classes around 15, and they've gotten worse under DeBoer.

« Reply #635 on: January 12, 2024, 01:06:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Also, Saban has been talking a lot about NIL and the unfairness in the system the last couple of years.  I believe that is the case because Saban knows Bama can't compete with the major market schools on a dollar for dollar basis, year in and year out.  May have contributed to him walking away now instead of a few more down the line.  The players, by and large, want the money and Bama can't give the same number of guys the big dollars.

« Reply #636 on: January 12, 2024, 03:14:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Buckeyes coming up with some cash, first they keep Egbuka and just now JT Tuimoloau.  Egbuka was a 2nd round projection and JT was late 1st early 2nd.

« Reply #637 on: January 12, 2024, 03:17:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 992
Buckeyes coming up with some cash, first they keep Egbuka and just now JT Tuimoloau.  Egbuka was a 2nd round projection and JT was late 1st early 2nd.

Looks like they stole another one of Michigan’s playbooks.

« Reply #638 on: January 12, 2024, 03:52:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Also, Saban has been talking a lot about NIL and the unfairness in the system the last couple of years.  I believe that is the case because Saban knows Bama can't compete with the major market schools on a dollar for dollar basis, year in and year out.  May have contributed to him walking away now instead of a few more down the line.  The players, by and large, want the money and Bama can't give the same number of guys the big dollars.
With NIL hot and heavy, Bama just finished 2nd in recruiting in 2023 and was 1st in 2022.  Saban has talked about a lot of subjects over the years which he doesn't like but one of his best strengths is his ability to adapt and remain at the top of the game.  Bama, Georgia and OSU aren't paying top NIL dollars and yet they remain at the top.  Teams that are throwing around lots of NIL money like Texas A&M and Miami continue to flounder in mediocrity. 

« Reply #639 on: January 12, 2024, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Have to wait for the official announcement but ESPN and others are reporting that DeBoer has agreed to be the next Bama coach.  Definitely concerned about his ability to recruit at a top level in the SEC but overall looks like a good hire. 

« Reply #640 on: January 15, 2024, 11:01:12 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Caleb Williams still hasn't declared for the Draft, and the deadline is today
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #641 on: January 15, 2024, 11:27:23 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

I can't imagine that he stays. He had a down year, and he is likely to get picked in the top 3. What would be the upside to staying?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 11:33:05 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #642 on: January 15, 2024, 11:45:04 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

I can't imagine that he stays. He had a down year, and he is likely to get picked in the top 3. What would be the upside to staying?

More NIL money. Maybe he really doesn't want to go to Chicago, Washington or New England lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #643 on: January 15, 2024, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

More NIL money. Maybe he really doesn't want to go to Chicago, Washington or New England lol
NIL money isn't anywhere close to top 3 NFL money. 

« Reply #644 on: January 15, 2024, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

Sure, but next year he's going to be staring at other bad options as well. I wouldn't want to go to one of those three teams either. Maybe he can stay in college, never get drafted, and play in the CFL.

If I'm the GM of one of those three teams, I'm passing on Caleb Williams.

If I'm Caleb, I hope Atlanta trades up to snag me.