Author Topic: Rozier + 27th for 6th. Fair deal?  (Read 7530 times)

Re: Rozier + 27th for 6th. Fair deal?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
That’s not a good deal for them.  Rozier does not have top 6 pick value.

I'm not sure about this. Rozier would be considered an excellent 6th pick in most drafts..just look at some of the past 6th picks in recent memory..Cauley-Stein, Isaac, Noel, Vesely, Flynn..historically the 6th pick is a crap shoot. To get a player of Roziers caliber (gives you Kyle Lowry like impact) for it- when your a franchise like the magic who always seem to screw up the pick anyways- that's a pretty sweet deal.

The GM that plans on screwing up the draft is the GM that is looking for a job.

None of those players you mentioned were projected to be busts by the team that drafted them.

What is Rozier's caliber? I think he's an average starting pg in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Rozier is an expiring contract

Didn't stop Orlando from trading sabonis and oladipo for ibaka when he was an expiring. Which is why I'm saying ainge would take advantage of the magics clearly incompetent front office.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Didn't stop Orlando from trading sabonis and oladipo for ibaka when he was an expiring. Which is why I'm saying ainge would take advantage of the magics clearly incompetent front office.
that Orlando deal was terrible. They traded oladipo the all star for half a season of 35 year old ibaka

I do get what you’re coming from

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
That’s not a good deal for them.  Rozier does not have top 6 pick value.

I'm not sure about this. Rozier would be considered an excellent 6th pick in most drafts..just look at some of the past 6th picks in recent memory..Cauley-Stein, Isaac, Noel, Vesely, Flynn..historically the 6th pick is a crap shoot. To get a player of Roziers caliber (gives you Kyle Lowry like impact) for it- when your a franchise like the magic who always seem to screw up the pick anyways- that's a pretty sweet deal.

The GM that plans on screwing up the draft is the GM that is looking for a job.

None of those players you mentioned were projected to be busts by the team that drafted them.

What is Rozier's caliber? I think he's an average starting pg in the NBA.

I stated twice what I think roziers caliber is..17/5/5 guy who can potentially (maybe already is) be a Kyle Lowry type player. There have been too many playoff games where Rozier has looked like the best player on the floor to dismiss his recent production as a fluke.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
I think #16 + #31 from Phoenix is more realistic, if they decided to take Ayton.

Wouldn't make that deal. This draft is very good maybe 1-9, but there aren't any prospects that stand out to me in late lottery or early second round. Roziers worth more even on an expiring deal.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If I was to trade Rozier, i would want to trade him for a player that can help the team now (most likely a big), not a draft pick.  And if we did that, we have to pay the 6th pick over $4M while only $3M.  I know that is not a big difference but I would rather have that $1M to pay Smart.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
That's not enough.  Rozier and the Sacramento pick is more realistic.  I would do that trade.  I would love to get one of the big guys in this draft.

Assuming good health next year and keeping Smart, I don't see where Rozier gets his minutes and his offense won't be as needed with Irving and Haward back.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
not enough

this would probably get you the 8th pick (after missing out on Young, Bamba)  from the Cavs

no thanks

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
not enough

this would probably get you the 8th pick (after missing out on Young, Bamba)  from the Cavs

no thanks

Don't think CLE would be in a rush to trade with us again lol.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
It's not crazy, if management feels the pressure to improve now. Their point guard situation is absolute garbage (DJ Augustin??), and there are big question marks around Trae Young getting abused if he's thrown into a starting role right away.

Orlando needs a lot of pieces, including some players that can actually compete right now. Rozier was a steal at #16 and already been developed into a starter-level young player, I don't see why #6 is such a stretch. Draft picks outside the top 3-5 are notoriously overrated...

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
not enough

no thanks

6th pick no, 8th pick yes? That's a pretty fine line to draw before draft night.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think #16 + #31 from Phoenix is more realistic, if they decided to take Ayton.

That's idiotic. So now that Rozier is a proven NBA baller, he's only worth the exact same slot at which he was selected plus a crappy 2nd rounder? While fans tend to over-project their draft picks, good GMs don't. They know the track record of draft positions. Lets do the same by looking at the last 15 guys selected at #16 (pre-Rozier):

Jusuf Nurkic
Lucas Nogueira
Royce White
Nikola Vucevic
Luke Babbitt
James Johnson
Marreese Speights
Nick Young
Rodney Carney
Joey Graham
Kirk Snyder
Troy Bell
Jiri Welch
Kirk Haston

That's a couple of good players, a couple of role players and a whole lot of busts. That's what is expected from that slot. GMs know this. They know a bird in hand is worth a lot more than two in the bush. At 17/5/5 - which is what Rozier has put up the last 1/2 of a season - and good defense Rozier could be considered the best out of that entire list. That's worth a HELLUVA lot more than the 16th pick. That's insulting.

In fact, let's look at the #6 picks in that same time frame:

Marcus Smart
Nerlens Noel
Damian Lillard
Jan Vesley
Ekpe Udoh
Jonny Flynn
Danilo Gallinari
Yi Jianlian
Brandon Roy
Martell Webster
Josh Childress
Chris Kaman
Dajuan Wagner
Shane Battier

Rozier is better than half of that list already and is a known quantity. So yeah, Rozier for the #6 pick isn't that far fetched when someone actually understands the danger of drafting and how many players outside of the top 5 bust.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Oops
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fair deal for the other team bad for us.

Not for another year he is not.

https://hoopshype.com/player/terry-rozier/salary/

We got him all next year.   But sure it may hurt his value.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:54:09 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

That's idiotic. So now that Rozier is a proven NBA baller, he's only worth the exact same slot at which he was selected plus a crappy 2nd rounder? While fans tend to over-project their draft picks, good GMs don't. They know the track record of draft positions. Lets do the same by looking at the last 15 guys selected at #16 (pre-Rozier):

Jusuf Nurkic
Lucas Nogueira
Royce White
Nikola Vucevic
Luke Babbitt
James Johnson
Marreese Speights
Nick Young
Rodney Carney
Joey Graham
Kirk Snyder
Troy Bell
Jiri Welch
Kirk Haston

That's a couple of good players, a couple of role players and a whole lot of busts. That's what is expected from that slot. GMs know this. They know a bird in hand is worth a lot more than two in the bush. At 17/5/5 - which is what Rozier has put up the last 1/2 of a season - and good defense Rozier could be considered the best out of that entire list. That's worth a HELLUVA lot more than the 16th pick. That's insulting.

In fact, let's look at the #6 picks in that same time frame:

Marcus Smart
Nerlens Noel
Damian Lillard
Jan Vesley
Ekpe Udoh
Jonny Flynn
Danilo Gallinari
Yi Jianlian
Brandon Roy
Martell Webster
Josh Childress
Chris Kaman
Dajuan Wagner
Shane Battier

Rozier is better than half of that list already and is a known quantity. So yeah, Rozier for the #6 pick isn't that far fetched when someone actually understands the danger of drafting and how many players outside of the top 5 bust.

Rozier is heading into the last year of his contract which causes him to lose a lot of value.  If Mitchell Robinson falls to the 16th pick and and Danny and Brad are impressed by him, that trade could make sense.  The 31st pick could be used on a pg who would be a third stringer for now and be groomed.  There are some decent/somewhat promising point guards projected to be drafted around there.