Author Topic: Redsox future looks promising  (Read 13833 times)

Redsox future looks promising
« on: August 22, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pitching looks promising with
Rodriguez
Owens
Wright

Tazawa as closer

Lineup looks promising with
Betts
Castillo
Bradley Jjr.
Bogaertz
Swihart
Panda
Holt
Shaw
Rutledge

If redsox can trade ramirez and porcello for more pitching,  even better. 

Re: Redsox future looks promising
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They have some quality pieces.  They also have 2 guys under contract for big $$ the next 4-5 years who should both be playing DH.  To make matters worse, Ortiz will probably play DH full-time for at least another season.

They have some decent young pitchers, but none of them looks like a top of the rotation guy.  They have a lot of OK arms, but none of them especially reliable or at all dominant.

It's not a bad place to be.  Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart, Rodriguez, Owens, maybe Shaw.  Those are some young, cost-controlled, talented, and likely productive players.  Dombrowski has his work cut out for him though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Open the vault for David Price. 

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Teammates with Papi? Doubtful.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Just wondering, who thinks Shaw is legit? I've been trying to keep my expectations low, but he just looks so [dang] good to me.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Teammates with Papi? Doubtful.

Good point.  These guys teammate up with opponents all the time though.  The team officials and coaches can smooth it out.  They should be able to move past it.  $200 million and 7 years is my opening offer.  They need an ace.  The rest of the rotation will fall in place after him.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:41:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
They have some quality pieces.  They also have 2 guys under contract for big $$ the next 4-5 years who should both be playing DH.  To make matters worse, Ortiz will probably play DH full-time for at least another season.

They have some decent young pitchers, but none of them looks like a top of the rotation guy.  They have a lot of OK arms, but none of them especially reliable or at all dominant.

It's not a bad place to be.  Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart, Rodriguez, Owens, maybe Shaw.  Those are some young, cost-controlled, talented, and likely productive players.  Dombrowski has his work cut out for him though.

??

Erod and Owens are elite level pitching prospects. Wright a solid number 3 guy

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 04:46:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just wondering, who thinks Shaw is legit? I've been trying to keep my expectations low, but he just looks so [dang] good to me.

Shaw reminds me of Mark Bellhorn. He will strike out or make solid contact.   Dont mind seeing what else he can.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Jays apparently will lock him up

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Maybe so, but if I'm Dave Dimbrowski, I'm not letting Toronto outbid me.  The Red Sox have much more money.  Throw it at Price.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

if Ortiz can continue to hit RH pitching AND be willing to platoon against LHers, then i dont see how this is a negative. his slash line against RHers is .280/.395/.567 with an OPS of 962. 20 out of his 26 HRs are against RHers. This is a very,very good line.

next, on the pitchers, i agree with you, but it is nice to have rotation slots 3-5 filled with quality as good as this. the rub, as you imply, is slots 1 & 2. without addressing this, the team is in trouble.

but let's see whether dombrowski et al can finally solve the bull pen woes of the sox. the bull pen has been terrible season long and uehara cant be counted on in the long run. the bull pen has coughed up too many leads. remember the last time the sox were ahead by 3+ runs and you felt secure? neither do i.

as far as everyday players, they are VERY strong up the middle and if JBJ breaks out as a hitter and is consistent, he is automatically an all star....IF, IF, IF!

the interesting sss player to watch is shaw, who hails from kent state, my old employer.  ;D no one thinks he can continue to bat .370 and slug .681. his MiLB pedigree argues against this. but if he can hit well on the road and not turn into a pumpkin, he will be at least good depth. heck, he MIGHT be an everyday major leaguer, but way to early to tell.

mookie, JBJ, castillo, xander, swihart, vasquez all look to be major leaguers, and good ones. i dont see anyone there with great power, but there is speed, OBP, and defense.

needed are:
- a pair of good/great starters
- corner outfield with power, or hanley becoming old hanley
- a corner infielder, or sandoval becoming old sandoval
- and 2-3 relievers

this is a LOT to ask for, but not impossible. they have cheap, good core of young players. so we shall see what dombrowski does with it all.

oh, and just to look really far down the pike, moncada, devers, and margot will be knocking on the door in 2-3 years. should be fun.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Maybe so, but if I'm Dave Dimbrowski, I'm not letting Toronto outbid me.  The Red Sox have much more money.  Throw it at Price.
i wish it were so simple. in recent memory TWICE the red sox have tried to solve their problems by having dump trucks pull up and unload large piles of money in front of  players. it did not.

remember, crawford, gonzalez? and how are sandoval and ramirez working out these days? gagne ring a bell? unlike basketball, one player rarely makes a big difference.

look, even with price, he only gets to be a star every 5th game. he would start at best TWENTY PERCENT of the total number of games. how many would he win for the sox? he has won OVER 15 games only twice in his career.

more is needed than price.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

i wish it were so simple. in recent memory TWICE the red sox have tried to solve their problems by having dump trucks pull up and unload large piles of money in front of  players. it did not.

remember, crawford, gonzalez? and how are sandoval and ramirez working out these days? gagne ring a bell? unlike basketball, one player rarely makes a big difference.

look, even with price, he only gets to be a star every 5th game. he would start at best TWENTY PERCENT of the total number of games. how many would he win for the sox? he has won OVER 15 games only twice in his career.

Sure, but they have young talent.  Great time to splurge on an ace.  They got too cute last year by signing mediocre veteran pitchers.  20% regular season, but much higher in the playoffs.  ERod, Owens, Porcello, amd Miley will fit in well behind him.  Move HRam to first, a veteran SS should have no problem with that move  ;D.  JBJ, Betts, and Castillo in the outfield, very exciting, amazing defense.  This all works out  :).  Just need to sign a couple of relievers. 

Honestly, I suspect Dombrowski will pull off huge moves that none of us could see coming.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Sure, but they have young talent.  Great time to splurge on an ace.  They got too cute last year by signing mediocre veteran pitchers.  20% regular season, but much higher in the playoffs.  ERod, Owens, Porcello, amd Miley will fit in well behind him.  Move HRam to first, a veteran SS should have no problem with that move  ;D.  JBJ, Betts, and Castillo in the outfield, very exciting, amazing defense.  This all works out  :).  Just need to sign a couple of relievers. 

Honestly, I suspect Dombrowski will pull off huge moves that none of us could see coming.

Ramirez is done as a fielder. Such a poor fielder and has put on so much mass does not look athletic enough to handle the ss spot

Trade ramirez. Or dont resign Ortiz and give the dh job to ramirez

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Ramirez is done as a fielder. Such a poor fielder and has put on so much mass does not look athletic enough to handle the ss spot

Trade ramirez. Or dont resign Ortiz and give the dh job to ramirez

Ortiz will be back.  He's actually been very good this year.  23rd best OPS right now. Ideally, you trade Ramirez, but who takes him?  It's conceivable he could play first.  He is horrendous in the outfield, but he might be able to play first.  They have to find out.