Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39284 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ojeleye seems to be a solid defender and he's always been solid 3 point shooter in college. So what gives? I'm just as perplexed as most people are to be honest.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Semi has the potential to be an insane defensively player because of his one on one ability. He slides his feet so well and he possesses superhuman strength.  Great for modern nba defense because he allows you to easily switch pick and rolls.  That alone will make him a valuable player.

Now.... to the other parts of his game.  At this moment he is pretty awful at everything else and doesn’t give good effort.  I don’t care if he is ever a great passer, ball handler, or rebounder but he has to be able to hit his wide open threes.  If he can do that, be as excellent as I think he can be playing individual defense, and starts playing a tad harder, he can be a valuable rotation piece.

As someone brilliantly mentioned earlier, he would be a lot more valuable if we actually had a decent scorer off of the bench.  Hopefully that is addressed soon and Semi makes the necessary improvements. Going forward, I do believe that Semi can be a guy who plays 24 minutes a game for a good team (which we will be for the next 6 years at least).

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ojeleye seems to be a solid defender and he's always been solid 3 point shooter in college. So what gives? I'm just as perplexed as most people are to be honest.

Rookie wall, and he hit it early.   Tatum seems to be hitting it now, too albeit not as bad.

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Chuckle.

This thread brings back fond memories of the wild hyperbole on this board that surrounded the great Brandon Hunter when he joined the Celtics.

Death, taxes and every young player in green is going to be absolutely great.

In the meantime, give me Semi's roster spot for a shooter.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Rookie wall, and he hit it early.   Tatum seems to be hitting it now, too albeit not as bad.

Tatum I can buy, but Semi? Semi has only played 546 minutes this season compared to 1195 minutes last season at SMU. The reality is that it's the level of competition/Semi not being that good is the likely culprit here.

Looking back at his history, he was a very good high school player (usually a place where most physically dominant players flourish), but then went to Duke and struggled badly. He was firmly on the bench and averaged 1.6 PPG his first season and 3.0 PPG the next. He also shot pretty poor from 3 (considering the shorter distance of the college line) at 34%. The ACC proved too much for him, so instead Semi redshirted and went to SMU. There, as a 4th year Junior, he thrived playing against weaker competition. However, the NBA is a different level entirely and his lack of actual basketball skills (shooting, passing, dribbling) is on display nightly and now Semi can't physically dominant players like he could in a weaker college conference.

« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

He's a rookie. The NBA is a lot bigger and a lot faster than any league he's ever played in before. I bet he still makes a lot of 3's in practice. He's having trouble adjusting. Hopefully with a year of experience under his belt, he'll be able to catch up and be a reliable 3-and-D guy for the rest of his career.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2018, 03:40:44 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
12 pages & going on an end of bench guy.

Only on Celtics Blog.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Only on Celtics Blog.
Every player matters.  ;)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Only on Celtics Blog.

Who hasn't contributed a thing.

Only on Celtics Blog.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Only on Celtics Blog.

Who a couple of members have grossly overrated.

Hopefully last night's DNP-CD is the first of many.

Refs and rookies
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The other night Ojeleye came out with aggression and picked up 4 fouls in record time.Its ironic i had posted about the daunting task of guarding some of the superstars and the difficulty of aggressive play and having the refs go whistle happy just days ago- the stars get preferential treatment and play the crowd.
Now this becomes even more difficult as you guard multiple players while trying to learn what you can and can't do
.The other day a poster claimed Semi had motor problems and used a play during La game where after a steal LA was on break that easily pushed Kyrie aside but Marcus  who loves to block from behind was tracking and flying in-what i saw was Semi slowing a bit a deferring to Marcus while putting himself in position for a followup rebound if there was a miss.

Semi settled down after those fouls and was praised for his defense and he hit two threes and scored at rim.
It is still my belief that semi gets lost on defense but what rookie doesn't,learning defensive sets while guarding multiple position on the fly and getting no favors from refs.
Marcus Smart was known for aggressive defense coming up in NBA system,i believe the refs were aware and allowed Marcus to play hard-the celtics were in rebuild then and it was -SO WHAT.
Marcus developed his style and it is accepted and promoted -as a defensive star.
I saw Semi get real lost and i saw some real flashes of his quickness and they were wow -off ball and unnoticed.
This kid can shoot and he is being told to shoot those wide open good shots
It is part of developing for one of the best teams in league.His couple of missed three's doesn't cause losses
It is turnovers by our guards ,missed finishes at rim,ego passing and poor shot selection,missed foul shots.
Some rookies get protected as they are the leagues up and coming stars-some get rookies calls and phantom fouls inconsistent refs or just drawn by long time superstars.

The quotes i posted in past came from Brad and Horford and i know he can shoot from Hoops House to summer league and even college
Shooting is repetition and Semi is a tireless worker-the more time he gets now till playoffs is a luxury
.The game is real fast for any rookie not named Jayson

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:26:55 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Refs and rookies
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Um, a rookie getting quick fouls against tough covers is probably not a ref issue.  He's a rookie guarding great, experienced players.  THAT is the MOST likely reason he picks up fouls.

« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The LA game the other day was one of the worst refereed games I have ever seen.
Randle walked every time he touched the ball, and there were no calls.
Did they think he was Lebron?

« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
"Now this becomes more difficult guarding multiple players and positions as your learning what you can and can't do."
"or just drawn by longtime superstars"
This was included along with phantom calls,rookie calls  and inconsistent referees

All of this would create a tentative player attempting to play straight up defense -not foul,not let his teammates down and not embarrass himself.
I would love to see him attack on defense or exude Marcus aggression but i feel the whistles would never be kind -maybe in playoff mode or next season.
Just look at the list of all stars and how many have semi guarded.

I was only using those quick whistles as to the difficulty of playing aggressive versus a sort of tentative defense using his base and strength and imagine the chaos of emotions going on in a rookies head
 The crowd,superstars that you watched on TV and now i'm guarding them.
Studying film is great but hands on experience and mistakes is the only way to learn.Not the g league like some have posted.
And that is just the defensive end

« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
The rookies are definitely getting jobbed by the refs!  But that has been happening for years in this league.  What I found interesting was when Tatum got a tech for waving his arm after the ref called a questionable foul on him.  He didn't say a word but just made the gesture.  Then, you see Draymond Green's histrionics and he never gets T'd up.