Author Topic: MJs top starting five  (Read 12763 times)

Re: MJs top starting five
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Best players from all time to form starting 5.  Yeah, there can be a lot of debate but some positions are easier than other.

PG:  Magic Johnson (#2 Oscar Robertson?, but not that close)
SG   Michael Jordan (Kobe not that far behind)
SF   LeBron James (Larry Bird close behind)
PF   Bill Russell  (I know he played C but I like him at PF on my team)
C    Kareem A. Jabbar (Wilt, Shaq, Olajuwon, all close behind).

The LeBron Larry choice is a hard one.  I suspect if you could ask Magic and Michael for example, they might prefer Larry but LeBron can do a little more as an individual player than Larry.

Magic, Jordan, and Russell are hands down easy picks.

At Center, I like Kareem but easy to argue from some of the others.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:59:25 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Best players from all time to form starting 5.  Yeah, there can be a lot of debate but some positions are easier than other.

The LeBron Larry choice is a hard one.  I suspect if you could ask Magic and Michael for example, they might prefer Larry but LeBron can do a little more as an individual player than Larry.

I think those players are close enough that you'll have to start nitpicking at the criteria, eg. what era of basketball are we talking about.

This would be my All-Time starting 5 in the current NBA landscape:
PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: LeBron James
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Bill Russell/David Robinson/Hakeem Olajuwon (all three are really close, I think the deciding factors are how would Russell shoot/would Robinson be less stiff on the perimeter with modern defensive schemes encouraging bigs to get into a low defensive stance when guarding the perimeter/would Hakeem change his offensive approach).

The 80s/90s/early 00s:
C: Bill Russell/Shaquille O'Neal

Post shot clock/pre-three point line:
PG: Jerry West
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Bill Russell
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think those players are close enough that you'll have to start nitpicking at the criteria, eg. what era of basketball are we talking about.

C: Bill Russell/David Robinson/Hakeem Olajuwon (all three are really close, I think the deciding factors are how would Russell shoot/would Robinson be less stiff on the perimeter with modern defensive schemes encouraging bigs to get into a low defensive stance when guarding the perimeter/would Hakeem change his offensive approach).

The 80s/90s/early 00s:

Curry wouldn't last 10 games in the 80's. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

The 80s/90s/early 00s:

Curry wouldn't last 10 games in the 80's.
Absolutely, he would've been banned in the 80s for being way too good 8), the NBA has to care about the amount of heart attacks he'd give to fans back then!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

No Duncan? Not even as a backup?

Here's my list:

PG: Magic > Oscar
SG: MJ >> Kobe
SF: Bird > LeBron
PF: Duncan > KG (both of them would play at C in today's game)
C: Russell ≥ Kareem (The hardest position to rank. Can't go wrong with any of Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Shaq/Dream)

Don't get the disrespect towards Duncan. Most people agree that he's underrated, yet he keeps being underrated. The way I see it, Duncan is our generation's Bill Russell: The ultimate team player, the ultimate winner. Obviously, Russ won more rings, but there are way more teams in the modern NBA, hence it's way more difficult to win a championship. No way Russ would have won 11 rings in 13 years in the modern game. Imo, Duncan is a GOAT candidate. If I had to choose between him and Bron, I'd be happy to end up with either one of them.

Fwiw, here's a video about Timmy being the GOAT. Give it a shot. The guy makes an interesting case in favor of Timmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRSpQ78Y3c

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 05:54:15 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I have Magic in my top 5...and not Kobe or Bron.  Bron didn't win enough titles, or "dominate" long and thoroughly enough for me.  He gets another one in LA I will have to include him.  I have magic, russel, kareem, MJ, and wilt.  Kobe, shaq, bird, lebron, and probably pipen...though pipen is a step down form the others

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 12:06:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Here's my list:

C: Russell ≥ Kareem (The hardest position to rank. Can't go wrong with any of Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Shaq/Dream)

Don't get the disrespect towards Duncan. Most people agree that he's underrated, yet he keeps being underrated. The way I see it, Duncan is our generation's Bill Russell: The ultimate team player, the ultimate winner. Obviously, Russ won more rings, but there are way more teams in the modern NBA, hence it's way more difficult to win a championship. No way Russ would have won 11 rings in 13 years in the modern game. Imo, Duncan is a GOAT candidate. If I had to choose between him and Bron, I'd be happy to end up with either one of them.

Fwiw, here's a video about Timmy being the GOAT. Give it a shot. The guy makes an interesting case in favor of Timmy.

What disrespect? People routinely slot him in their top 10 lists, the real disrespect gets thrown at Kevin Garnett, who had to deal with a special kind of rubbish during his time in Minnesota that masked his incredible impact. He's my "backup" for the two lineups I listed without him FWIW, he's by no means underrated.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Here's my list:

No Curry at the 1 and no West at the 2? Mind if I know your reasoning?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 12:31:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Duncan is often underrated by the tiniest amount (frequently rated below Kobe, because of the LA hype machine), but KG has it far worse. He was every bit as good at playing the game as Timmy and Kobe, he was just stuck in a cesspit franchise (anyone remember Joe Smith?) That people rate Chuck and even flipping Anthony Davis ahead of KG is a travesty.

I reckon had KG been picked by even a remotely operational franchise, like the Raptors or the Heat (both had picks near where KG was taken) his career would be viewed in a different light.

I always find exercises like these difficult. I have top 5’s for every spot, and basically draw from that depending upon how I feel. I’ve emboldened the ones who I think have an argument for GOAT at their position.

PG: Magic / Oscar / Stockton / Curry / Paul

SG: Jordan / Kobe / West / Wade / Drexler

SF: Bird / LeBron / Durant / Erving / Baylor

PF: Duncan / KG / Malone / Dirk / Barkley

C: KAJ / Russell / Wilt / Shaq / Hakeem or Admiral, legit tossup
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 01:34:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think Duncan is often underrated by the tiniest amount (frequently rated below Kobe, because of the LA hype machine), but KG has it far worse. He was every bit as good at playing the game as Timmy and Kobe, he was just stuck in a cesspit franchise (anyone remember Joe Smith?) That people rate Chuck and even flipping Anthony Davis ahead of KG is a travesty.

I reckon had KG been picked by even a remotely operational franchise, like the Raptors or the Heat (both had picks near where KG was taken) his career would be viewed in a different light.

I always find exercises like these difficult. I have top 5’s for every spot, and basically draw from that depending upon how I feel. I’ve emboldened the ones who I think have an argument for GOAT at their position.

The stripping of multiple first round draft picks hurt, but the Wolves frequently drafted rubbish when they had their picks. I think their 2006 or 2007 squads (forgot which year specifically) had a supporting cast that can contend for the title of worst team of all time, their roster was basically made up of fringe NBA players or players who weren't even NBA calibre.

Also interesting that you had Stockton as a candidate, I don't think his peak was as good as his counting stats suggested (a good amount of his passes were Rondo assists and he really couldn't ramp up his offence even as a second option behind Malone). But he did have fantastic longevity so you might be weighing it really heavily in your evaluations, which is reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:49:37 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes Minnesota wasn't great, but for a very long time he had a very good coach in Flip Saunders and at least credible talent around him, but yet he was never even able to win a 1st round series until Cassell and Spreewell.  Marbury and Brandon were both very credible starting PG's.  Heck the 02 team had Brandon who missed time, but then saw the rise of Billups along with Wally, Rasho, Smith, Peeler, Trent, etc.  Not a great team, but one certainly capable of getting out of the 1st round instead of getting swept and blitzed by the Mavericks (and KG was outperformed by Dirk which was a huge reason why). 

I know KG isn't as good as Lebron, but Lebron had worse talent, worse coaching, worse management, etc. in Cleveland (the 1st time) and he has never lost in the 1st round of the playoffs in his entire career.  KG quite simply isn't a #1 type player and in that he will always be knocked down on historical lists.  Immensely talented, but he has always needed a #1 mentality type player to have success.  He had that in Sam and Latrell the only time he won a playoff series in Minnesota and he had that in Pierce and to a lesser extent Allen in Boston.  KG might be the best complimentary player in history (right there with Pippen), but he wasn't a #1 guy and that will always be a blight on his record when comparing him to other all time greats.

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The stripping of multiple first round draft picks hurt, but the Wolves frequently drafted rubbish when they had their picks. I think their 2006 or 2007 squads (forgot which year specifically) had a supporting cast that can contend for the title of worst team of all time, their roster was basically made up of fringe NBA players or players who weren't even NBA calibre.

Also interesting that you had Stockton as a candidate, I don't think his peak was as good as his counting stats suggested (a good amount of his passes were Rondo assists and he really couldn't ramp up his offence even as a second option behind Malone). But he did have fantastic longevity so you might be weighing it really heavily in your evaluations, which is reasonable.
Yeah, and despite what Moranis said, it had nothing to do with KG. In his pre-Celtic playoff career Garnett averaged 22/13.5/5 with DPOY caliber defence - hardly as if he was letting the team down. Minnesota was, and apparently still is, a dumpster fire.

Nailed it there really. His freakish, almost unparalleled longevity (besides AC Green & K Malone I guess), efficiency, and simple but super effective play style was great. His peak was not as high as any of the other 4 I listed, but he played like 18 years and barely missed a beat. Plus, gotta love the unathletic pest at PG.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 09:09:56 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No Curry at the 1
Steph is hands down the better shooter (imo, the best ever). Magic and Oscar were better at pretty much everything else.

no West at the 2? Mind if I know your reasoning?
At 6'2''/6'3'', I consider West more of a PG. At the very least, I bet he would have been exclusively a PG in today's game. From what I've read, I'd rather build a team around West rather than around Kobe. Having said that, I've only seen West play in short youtube videos. I don't know enough about his game.

What disrespect? People routinely slot him in their top 10 lists
This is my point right there. The way I see it, Duncan is our generation's Bill Russell. If you say Russ is a top 10 player, you are underselling him. He is a GOAT candidate. Imo, the same goes for Duncan.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:24:39 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, and despite what Moranis said, it had nothing to do with KG. In his pre-Celtic playoff career Garnett averaged 22/13.5/5 with DPOY caliber defence - hardly as if he was letting the team down. Minnesota was, and apparently still is, a dumpster fire.

Nailed it there really. His freakish, almost unparalleled longevity (besides AC Green & K Malone I guess), efficiency, and simple but super effective play style was great. His peak was not as high as any of the other 4 I listed, but he played like 18 years and barely missed a beat. Plus, gotta love the unathletic pest at PG.
Here is KG's playoff game log.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/garneke01/gamelog-playoffs/

The overall stats are very misleading, as we see they got inflated significantly from the 3 playoff series he had Sam and Latrell. You will also see just how bad KG was in the series closeouts that Minnesota lost.  I'm not saying Minnesota was well-run, they weren't, but Flip Saunders was a very good coach and he coached every single playoff team that KG was on in Minnesota.  He had a lot of stability there.  The reality is KG was never a #1 guy.  He was a complimentary piece and as a result his teams suffered when he didn't have a #1 guy.  Also, it isn't like Sam or Latrell were great players, they weren't, they just had that closeout the game #1 mentality that KG lacked (it also isn't a coincidence that Minny was tied 1-1 with LA and when Cassell got hurt in game 3 the series took on a vastly different look). 

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Here's my list:

I really like Duncan.  He could be in with a group of PFs behind Bill Russell that could include Karl Malone, Kevin Garnett, I would even throw in a couple of older school guys like Bob McAdoo and Elvin Hayes as potential PFs.

I like tall-ball over small-ball so I have really big (but skilled) PFs to play alongside the true centers.