Author Topic: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!  (Read 13708 times)

Re: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm okay with him taking open shots or shots drawn up (hopefully as opt 3). Asking him to limit shots kind of makes no sense if they are there. However he must 100% watch the shot selection. He is bad at it at times.

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
These posts are so redundant. Lately, I hate coming on CB because I know there will be new Marcus bashing post. Then, another followed by another....ad infinitum. Am I the only one sick of them?

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
These posts are so redundant. Lately, I hate coming on CB because I know there will be new Marcus bashing post. Then, another followed by another....ad infinitum. Am I the only one sick of them?
I'm more sick of the non Celtics threads that pop up all the time. I don't care for Balls or philly injury reports. They need to keep that in those post in respected team "all things __" threads. I'm okay with C's stuff because people come if C's players do bad or good either way it's supposed to be about C's.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:51:25 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So early in the season most teams have played smart honestly.  Last game the mavs did something different.  They basically dared Marcus to shoot, which could be a really bad sign for him.  As the season evolves, we’ll see this more and more.  And we’ll definitely see it in the playoffs.

This will definitely affect our offense.  Kyrie, Tatum, Jaylen, Al, and everyone else will have a lot less room to operate with smart on the floor.  And unlike rondo, who was still smart and good enough to make other teams pay at times.  Smart does not have the same talent or skill.  He basically will need to make shots or get off the floor no matter how good his defense is.

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
All the times Marcus catches the ball and is open he should just be driving to the hoop.

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
All the times Marcus catches the ball and is open he should just be driving to the hoop.

I honestly would rather Marcus take a wide open 3 than drive it to the hoop in traffic. First a 3-pointer is worth 1.5x the points and, second, Marcus might be the worst NBA lay-up finisher I have ever seen in my life.

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is depressing to say but I'd rather he take that open 3.

Marcus is shooting 38% within 3 feet of the hoop and he's shooting 26% from 3. That's a .76 PPS from 0-3 feet and .78 PPS from 3.

Obviously the possibility of an assist/foul drawn/turnover on the drive confound the issue but its been that bad for Marcus shooting from all areas of the court.

Yet he's still one of the better leader of +/- for the team, we score better when he's on the court across pretty much all lineups. Smart is a really hard player to evaluate.....

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is depressing to say but I'd rather he take that open 3.

Marcus is shooting 38% within 3 feet of the hoop and he's shooting 26% from 3. That's a .76 PPS from 0-3 feet and .78 PPS from 3.

Obviously the possibility of an assist/foul drawn/turnover on the drive confound the issue but its been that bad for Marcus shooting from all areas of the court.

Yet he's still one of the better leader of +/- for the team, we score better when he's on the court across pretty much all lineups. Smart is a really hard player to evaluate.....
Yeah seriously, let's stop using the term bad shooter with marcus.  He's pretty much bad at everything to do with scoring. 

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think you could make the argument that Smart has the same upside as Lance Stephenson had. At his best, Stephenson was a good defensive player and 4th option on offense, averaging 14, 7, and 5. Stephenson always had an edge and good intangibles.

At that level of production, the best contract he could get was was a 9 million dollar contract from the Hornets when the salary cap was 63 million. Comparatively, that would be 15 million a year under the current salary cap.

Comparing the two, Stephenson has figured out how to get his shots to go down, although he still isn't as good of an offensive player as his basic stats indicate. However, Smart seems to have great intangibles and is a bit better in the pick-and-roll.

I don't think Smart's value goes higher than 15 million a year, especially considering how little money is available next off-season. At 26, Stephenson could not earn more than a 4 million dollar contract with the Pacers. At 24, what will Smart be able to earn considering his woeful shooting?

In other words, I think the most Smart can hope for is 15 million, and that dollar amount comes down from there considering the competition to sign him will be small and his shooting has lowered his value.

In the end, I think we end up around 45-50 million over 5 years. Expressing that security to him in a long-term contract, along with getting him as the proper cog in the offense as the 4th-5th option, will likely raise his shooting percentages during that time. By the end of that contract, I think he will be one of the best non-rookie contracts in the NBA.

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Actually marcus is bad driving to the hoop as well.  It's better for him to take the wide open shots even if he is a bad shooter.

It's pretty sad that in his 4th year as a pro, Marcus still can't shoot consistently over 30% and I doubt we ever see him even reach the 40% FG mark.

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I just want him off the team ASAP. I can't stand him anymore his insistence of being a gunner/first option when he is on the court just sends me through the roof. It's mind numbing to me that this moron can't figure out he sucks and play with in his ability.

Removing Smart at this point would be smart! It's addition by subtraction. 

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If he listened to Kyrie astro physics ....you know more of his shots would fall.

Smart = non believer

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I just want him off the team ASAP. I can't stand him anymore his insistence of being a gunner/first option when he is on the court just sends me through the roof. It's mind numbing to me that this moron can't figure out he sucks and play with in his ability.

imo your distaste for the aesthetics of missed shots is not wise, given his affect on the game and that the Celts are statistically better offensively with him on the floor.  Look around the league there's lots of gunners who add nothing on defense or intangibles.  Smart hit a big three at the end of the last game.  That's what matters...along with his other big play and save of the ball and assist. 
Stevens is a smart basketball guy, maybe one the smartest coaches ever...if Smart was so horrible he'd be on the bench, not on the floor at the end of the game. 

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I can't imagine the stress Smart causes you. I truly hope you can let it go and enjoy the ride. Let it go, let it go. Just laugh at Smart. Try to find it amusing rather than infuriating.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart is the best in the league at defensive Win shares but his offense is offensive.