Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394022 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2100 on: February 24, 2020, 07:53:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kemba being out is good for the young guys.

Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots.

I think it's best if the Celts preserve Kemba for the playoffs.
Such as?

Kemba has the tendency to launch 3-pointers, in crunch time, when the Celts really don't need it.

I've also noticed that Kemba makes more 3-pointers early in the qtr. than late in the qtr.

He's shooting 44% from 3pt in crunch time this year, which is higher than his season average of 39% and equal to what he shoots from 3pt in the 4th quarter overall.

https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=401160854

1:44      Kemba Walker misses 26-foot three point pullup jump shot   94 - 90

With the Celts leading by 4, in regulation, why shoot a 3?
Maybe it's the decision making.

That shot and miss led to a Clipper fast break that cut the Celtic lead to 2 points with 1:37 left in the 4th.

Celts ended up losing that game in OT.

Kemba has this knack of going for "all in" shots in crunch time.

I think Kemba needs to learn that he's with the Celtics already, not the Hornets.
So, according to you: "Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots." and your one example is from November 20th, 41 games ago, half a season back! And it's untrue as Kemba hits threes at an elite level late in close games!

Here's another example.
https://www.espn.com.au/nba/playbyplay?gameId=401160999

1:44      Kemba Walker misses 27-foot three point pullup jump shot   109 - 111

Brogdon just hit 2 FTs to give the Pacers a 2-point lead with 1:59 remaining.

Kemba tried to go all in with a 3-pointer.

When Kemba missed, Justin Holiday makes a 3-pointer at the other end to give the Pacers a 5-point lead.

Game over for the Celts.

Like I said, it's not that we don't want Kemba to shoot, just don't go "all in" all the time.
So your only other example is from 34 games ago? Can you see how your complaint is irrelevant?

I can post more examples if you want.

We can also double check using my League Pass.

The complaint is just to become better with the decision making in crunch time.

I think there's nothing wrong with asking for Kemba to make better decisions in crunch time.

Kemba's not used to winning because he's been with Charlotte most of his career.
With Boston, Kemba has lots of options because he's surrounded by very good players.
That's why he doesn't need to have that "all in" mentality in crunch time.

Kemba just needs to learn to trust his teammates.
He doesn't need to do it all by himself.

This is an odd take. It's the first time I've ever heard Kemba be accused of trying to do it all himself while playing for the Celtics. He's actually been very selfless this year, he was feeding JT when JT was hot. Even at the end of the game. When JB is hot he feeds the ball to JB.

Sometimes we can second guess players too much. Sometimes it's the right shot but he just missed.
TP...could not agree more. Kemba in the last 5 minutes of games in close games hits 3s at an elite rate but somehow is getting criticized for the ones he misses?!?!?! The whole take makes very little sense to me and, IMO, is just not based in reality. Kemba, late in games has been beyond clutch, with his scoring, defense and playmaking...again, just my opinion.

I agree Kemba's defense has been great in the clutch.

I'll give you another example.
If you have league pass you can check it for yourself.

4:22      Kemba Walker misses 25-foot step back jumpshot   97 - 92

That was the game the Sixers beat the Celts in Boston.

Embiid just scored to give the Sixers a 97-92 lead.

Kemba's response was a step back 3 that missed.

Embiid got the rebound and ended up making a 3 on the Sixers' next possession.
That gave the Sixers an 8-point lead, 100-92.
Game over for the Celts.

Again, it's not that Kemba shoots poorly in the clutch, it's about taking good shots.
Sometimes Kemba tries win it all with one shot.

What we see happening in games trumps the stats because the stats don't tell the whole story.

I already gave 3 examples.

Every Celtic fan here who watch the Celtics on a regular basis has seen Jayson Tatum make clutch shots numerous times this season.

Can't say the same for Kemba.

But it's true that Kemba has drawn a lot of charges in the clutch.
https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4

And here is 14 times you are wrong. He is 14 for 32 from three in situations you describe. 43.7% from three in the clutch. That is elite. His decision making in these situations is just fine and far far above average.

This whole take is based on missed shots in the clutch and makes zero sense. Know why? Because I don't care who you are, you're missing more shots in the clutch than you are going to make. But if you make those shots at an elite rate, you clearly are making the right decision to take those shots.

You seem like a very bright guy, Fierce. I am shocked that this very simple concept needs to be explained.

« Reply #2101 on: February 24, 2020, 07:54:39 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots.

Such as?

Kemba has the tendency to launch 3-pointers, in crunch time, when the Celts really don't need it.

I've also noticed that Kemba makes more 3-pointers early in the qtr. than late in the qtr.

He's shooting 44% from 3pt in crunch time this year, which is higher than his season average of 39% and equal to what he shoots from 3pt in the 4th quarter overall.

That shot and miss led to a Clipper fast break that cut the Celtic lead to 2 points with 1:37 left in the 4th.

I think Kemba needs to learn that he's with the Celtics already, not the Hornets.
So, according to you: "Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots." and your one example is from November 20th, 41 games ago, half a season back! And it's untrue as Kemba hits threes at an elite level late in close games!

Here's another example.

When Kemba missed, Justin Holiday makes a 3-pointer at the other end to give the Pacers a 5-point lead.

Game over for the Celts.

Like I said, it's not that we don't want Kemba to shoot, just don't go "all in" all the time.
So your only other example is from 34 games ago? Can you see how your complaint is irrelevant?

I think there's nothing wrong with asking for Kemba to make better decisions in crunch time.

Kemba's not used to winning because he's been with Charlotte most of his career.
With Boston, Kemba has lots of options because he's surrounded by very good players.

This is an odd take. It's the first time I've ever heard Kemba be accused of trying to do it all himself while playing for the Celtics. He's actually been very selfless this year, he was feeding JT when JT was hot. Even at the end of the game. When JB is hot he feeds the ball to JB.

Sometimes we can second guess players too much. Sometimes it's the right shot but he just missed.
TP...could not agree more. Kemba in the last 5 minutes of games in close games hits 3s at an elite rate but somehow is getting criticized for the ones he misses?!?!?! The whole take makes very little sense to me and, IMO, is just not based in reality. Kemba, late in games has been beyond clutch, with his scoring, defense and playmaking...again, just my opinion.

This people who are so stuck with yesterday's basketball and hasnt accepted that the game has evolved are in for a shock. If you are skilled enough to shoot at that high rate, by all means shoot.

If we had the same narrowmindedness governing GSW, Steph and Klay would average way less points. If these people are appalelrd with these few Kemba threes, I wonder how would they feel if they were a fan ofthe Warriors in their championship years?

Theyd probably be leading some campaign against Draymond and say the dubs has to trade iguodala for the likes of Drummond, WCS, Jacob Poetl etc!

« Reply #2102 on: February 24, 2020, 09:59:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Looks like Ben Simmons could be missing extended time due to the back injury sustained against the Bucks. This can't be good news for the Sixers and their "struggles" this year.

« Reply #2103 on: February 24, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
Game vs was going ot is the worst that could happen today. Bucks going to play again tomorrow vs raptors

« Reply #2104 on: February 25, 2020, 04:51:23 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Game vs was going ot is the worst that could happen today. Bucks going to play again tomorrow vs raptors

Luckily Antetokounmpo didn't play too many minutes because of foul trouble.

« Reply #2105 on: February 25, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Such as?

Here's another example.

Game over for the Celts.

I agree Kemba's defense has been great in the clutch.

If you have league pass you can check it for yourself.

4:22      Kemba Walker misses 25-foot step back jumpshot   97 - 92

That was the game the Sixers beat the Celts in Boston.

Embiid just scored to give the Sixers a 97-92 lead.

Kemba's response was a step back 3 that missed.

Embiid got the rebound and ended up making a 3 on the Sixers' next possession.
That gave the Sixers an 8-point lead, 100-92.
Game over for the Celts.

Again, it's not that Kemba shoots poorly in the clutch, it's about taking good shots.
Sometimes Kemba tries win it all with one shot.

What we see happening in games trumps the stats because the stats don't tell the whole story.

I already gave 3 examples.

Every Celtic fan here who watch the Celtics on a regular basis has seen Jayson Tatum make clutch shots numerous times this season.

Can't say the same for Kemba.

But it's true that Kemba has drawn a lot of charges in the clutch.
https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4

And here is 14 times you are wrong. He is 14 for 32 from three in situations you describe. 43.7% from three in the clutch. That is elite. His decision making in these situations is just fine and far far above average.

This whole take is based on missed shots in the clutch and makes zero sense. Know why? Because I don't care who you are, you're missing more shots in the clutch than you are going to make. But if you make those shots at an elite rate, you clearly are making the right decision to take those shots.

You seem like a very bright guy, Fierce. I am shocked that this very simple concept needs to be explained.

That's because you value stats more than what is actually happening on the court.

Again, you can check league pass if you want.

Celts beat LAC in Boston.
But it should not have gone in double OT.
Jayson Tatum saved the Celts in this game.

3:05      Kemba Walker misses 27-foot three point pullup jump shot   109 - 109

Game tied so why jack up a 3 when Kemba was not really open?
That's an ill-advised shot because that was not the best shot possible.

Brad then gave the last shot to Kemba, in regulation, and Kemba missed.

0.5      Kemba Walker misses 16-foot two point shot   114 - 114
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:50:50 AM by Fierce1 »

« Reply #2106 on: February 25, 2020, 06:50:26 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Such as?

Here's another example.

Game over for the Celts.

This people who are so stuck with yesterday's basketball and hasnt accepted that the game has evolved are in for a shock. If you are skilled enough to shoot at that high rate, by all means shoot.

If we had the same narrowmindedness governing GSW, Steph and Klay would average way less points. If these people are appalelrd with these few Kemba threes, I wonder how would they feel if they were a fan ofthe Warriors in their championship years?

Theyd probably be leading some campaign against Draymond and say the dubs has to trade iguodala for the likes of Drummond, WCS, Jacob Poetl etc!

There's always an exception.

Klay and Steph are two of the greatest shooters in NBA history.

That's the only reason why the dubs won multiple championships.

Your theory of yesterday's basketball is also wrong.

Right now, 2020, the #1 team in the east is the Bucks and the Bucks are one of the tallest teams in the NBA.

In the west, the Lakers are the #1 team.
Lakers also have one of the tallest, if not the tallest, lineup in the NBA this season.

Take the case of the Lakers.

The Lakers and Lebron last season didn't even make the playoffs.
This season the Lakers are the #1 team in the west and the only change is Anthony Davis.

If yesterday's basketball is obsolete, why do teams still prefer bigs like Ayton with the #1 pick?
Why didn't Phoenix pick Luka #1?

This year, James Wiseman, another 7-footer, will most probably go #1 again.

Just because GSW had success with small ball, it doesn't mean every team who tries to copy it will be successful.

Another example is Phil Jackson's triangle offense with the Bulls.
That MJ Bulls team won 6 championships.
A lot of teams hired assistant coaches that were under Phil Jackson.
They were hoping to copy the triangle offense and succeed with it.
To make the story short, only Phil Jackson had success with the triangle offense.

Ben Simmons out for extended period of time (back injury)
« Reply #2107 on: February 25, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28781074/sources-sixers-expect-ben-simmons-back-soon

Who would have thought a  7 foot dude who has to keep his back low to THe ground to dribble as a point guard would have back issues

Re: Ben Simmons out for extended period of time (back injury)
« Reply #2108 on: February 25, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28781074/sources-sixers-expect-ben-simmons-back-soon

Who would have thought a  7 foot dude who has to keep his back low to THe ground to dribble as a point guard would have back issues

If I were to do baseless speculation on why he got injured it is probably that Brown runs him into the ground just like he does Embid because he is coaching for his job. Brown played Simmons 39mpg in 13 January games and was at 38 before leaving leaving their recent game (all while being asked to be dominant on both ends of court). By comparison Tatum was at 32.5 in January.

« Reply #2109 on: February 26, 2020, 12:17:55 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Bad karma for pulling a fast one on the Celts by stealing Horford.

« Reply #2110 on: February 26, 2020, 12:28:11 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

If I were to do baseless speculation on why he got injured it is probably that Brown runs him into the ground just like he does Embid because he is coaching for his job. Brown played Simmons 39mpg in 13 January games and was at 38 before leaving leaving their recent game (all while being asked to be dominant on both ends of court). By comparison Tatum was at 32.5 in January.

Celtics fans want that kind of coach, just based on the complaints from Laker game alone. Maybe we should aign Thibs instead of Brad and let them be happy.

« Reply #2111 on: February 26, 2020, 12:32:53 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Celtics fans want that kind of coach, just based on the complaints from Laker game alone. Maybe we should aign Thibs instead of Brad and let them be happy.

For the Lakers game, of course, the Celtics gotta destroy them! If it's the Blazers or the Jazz of course limit their minutes  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2112 on: February 26, 2020, 12:39:36 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Brad is always going to get criticized.

It will only stop once he wins a championship with the Celts.

I'm a Brad Stevens fan, so I want Brad coaching the Celts for many, many years.

« Reply #2113 on: February 26, 2020, 12:41:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
So far Celts only have 2 losses in February.

Hopefully Celts win both remaining games this month.

Celts still on pace to win 56 games.

« Reply #2114 on: February 26, 2020, 03:25:01 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Such as?

Here's another example.

Game over for the Celts.

If yesterday's basketball is obsolete, why do teams still prefer bigs like Ayton with the #1 pick?
Why didn't Phoenix pick Luka #1?

Because these GMs are godawful. Its the reason why they were picking that high in the first place. Years and years of bad drafting and bad management.

The top 2 picks in that draft class are bigs. There were 2 all-stars from that draft class. Neither of them were bigs. You gonna use that to bolster your argument lol.

You mentioned Anthony Davis. We faced them the last game, he shot an awful FG from the field being guarded by 6 foot 6 Jaylen Brown mostly and Theis who you usually malign. The easiest points he got? From the 3 point line. Something the likes of your WCS, Drummond, Poetl cannot do. Anthony Davis is also one of the best defenders in the league if you go with Bigs. He was nowhere near stopping Tatum. What more can slower than Molasses guys like WCS, Drummond, Poetl do in that situation? The Spurs boast of a huge frontline with Aldridge and your Poetl. Are they in the playoffs? Drummond who you value so much got traded for a bag of peanuts. The same Drummond who regularly got killed by Joel Embiid.