Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 398887 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2145 on: February 26, 2020, 09:43:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Bertans could have been had for the Bucks and Celtics own picks I think he'd be on the Celtics right now. Or some other contender.

Wizards are building their offseason around keeping him as a FA and reporting had him as "not available".

« Reply #2146 on: February 26, 2020, 09:47:00 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
For the record you move the goalposts like a high school debate opponent, so judging what "balance" means or what trade you're actually advocating for on a given day to you is not something I'm willing to engage with.

Especially when you've now thrown down that gauntlet that if the C's don't win a title or perform as well as the team with the MVP and the best record by far you are "right". And not just right in one argument, but with the vague "the other posters".

Why the Celts don't have balance?

1. Celts are using backup Centers like Theis and Kanter as starting Centers.

2. The bench is weak.

If this season's Celtics is a balanced team then those two I mentioned above wouldn't be an issue.

The Celts don't have to have a superstar big man, just someone bigger than Theis.

And the Celts bench doesn't have to be great, just decent.

« Reply #2147 on: February 26, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
If Bertans could have been had for the Bucks and Celtics own picks I think he'd be on the Celtics right now. Or some other contender.

Wizards are building their offseason around keeping him as a FA and reporting had him as "not available".

Last season a lot of Celtic fans criticized Ainge for not making any moves at the trade deadline.

Ainge admitted he was wrong for not making any moves at last season's trade deadline.
Hopefully Ainge will not admit to being wrong again, in not making any moves at this year's trade deadline, in the near future.

« Reply #2148 on: February 26, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Theis was a backup C last year, this year he's performed at a starter level. Saying he's a backup C is like saying Brown is a backup SG because he came off the bench last year.

We have 57 games of information to consume and Theis has been a productive starter for a top 4 NBA team.

« Reply #2149 on: February 26, 2020, 09:54:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Last season a lot of Celtic fans criticized Ainge for not making any moves at the trade deadline.

Ainge admitted he was wrong for not making any moves at last season's trade deadline.
Hopefully Ainge will not admit to being wrong again, in not making any moves at this year's trade deadline, in the near future.
Last season Kyrie said he would be resigning if the Celtics would have him.

What does that have to do with your quote? Nothing, nothing at all. Just like your response to my pointing out that Bertans was not in fact available for two low first round picks had nothing to do with my statement.

« Reply #2150 on: February 26, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Theis was a backup C last year, this year he's performed at a starter level. Saying he's a backup C is like saying Brown is a backup SG because he came off the bench last year.

We have 57 games of information to consume and Theis has been a productive starter for a top 4 NBA team.

You can look it up.

Theis' production is not up to par with the starting Centers of the league right now.

« Reply #2151 on: February 26, 2020, 09:58:28 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Last season Kyrie said he would be resigning if the Celtics would have him.

What does that have to do with your quote? Nothing, nothing at all. Just like your response to my pointing out that Bertans was not in fact available for two low first round picks had nothing to do with my statement.

The point is Bertans was not the only available player Ainge could've trade for.

So it was Bertans or nothing at all?

« Reply #2152 on: February 26, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Since Ainge decided not to move Poirer or first round picks to get a veteran big man, what is the downside in playing Poirer for 5-7 minutes a game?  How many games will it cost the Celtics in the win-loss column if Stevens took that approach?  It seems to me that 1 or 2 losses may be worth the benefit of having Poirer get more NBA experience and giving him an opportunity to get acclimated in case a big man is needed for spot duty or even worse, if there is a major injury to a big man on the team.  Ainge ponied up to grab him from France.  We have a plethora of wings, and we give Langford time.  Langford looks like a legitimate NBA player, but my point is that with better current talent/ability on the team, we still find a way to get Langford minutes.  Why can we not do that with the big man spot, given that Theis is the only real option at the moment?  (Kanter does not look serviceable lately.)

« Reply #2153 on: February 26, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Since Ainge decided not to move Poirer or first round picks to get a veteran big man, what is the downside in playing Poirer for 5-7 minutes a game?  How many games will it cost the Celtics in the win-loss column if Stevens took that approach?  It seems to me that 1 or 2 losses may be worth the benefit of having Poirer get more NBA experience and giving him an opportunity to get acclimated in case a big man is needed for spot duty or even worse, if there is a major injury to a big man on the team.  Ainge ponied up to grab him from France.  We have a plethora of wings, and we give Langford time.  Langford looks like a legitimate NBA player, but my point is that with better current talent/ability on the team, we still find a way to get Langford minutes.  Why can we not do that with the big man spot, given that Theis is the only real option at the moment?  (Kanter does not look serviceable lately.)

The problem is Brad refuses to play Poirier.

« Reply #2154 on: February 26, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Only reason I can think of why Ainge didn't make any moves is because, in crunch time, the Celts will be playing Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Hayward, and Smart at Center in the playoffs.

Forget Theis and Kanter, Celts will be ultra small in the playoffs.

« Reply #2155 on: February 26, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

You can look it up.

Theis' production is not up to par with the starting Centers of the league right now.
Among All C who've played a lot:

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15
RAPM at Nbashotcharts has him 78th overall (they don't let me search by position but thats easily top 20 among Cs given how many guards/forwards appear on the list)

http://bkref.com/tiny/Woxfw sorted by WS he's top 10
http://bkref.com/tiny/0G9za sorted by PER he's top 25
http://bkref.com/tiny/JHCcQ sorted by Rebound per game he's top 20

Theis straight up is easily a starting level productive center. Maybe you should "look it up" yourself before you challenge people.  ;)

« Reply #2156 on: February 26, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

You can look it up.

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15
RAPM at Nbashotcharts has him 78th overall (they don't let me search by position but thats easily top 20 among Cs given how many guards/forwards appear on the list)

Theis straight up is easily a starting level productive center. Maybe you should "look it up" yourself before you challenge people.  ;)

It's simple, when Kanter, Theis' backup, is averaging 8 rebounds per game game and Theis is only averaging 6.5 rebounds per game, that means your starting Center is below average.

Seriously, Theis is top 20 among Centers in the NBA and you're happy with that?

I think it's just a case of your standard is lower than mine.

« Reply #2157 on: February 26, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Here's a list of all Centers who started this season.

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=C&StarterBench=Starters

That list has Theis 46th in rebounds per game and Theis is not even in the top 48 in scoring.

« Reply #2158 on: February 26, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

You can look it up.

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15

It's simple, when Kanter, Theis' backup, is averaging 8 rebounds per game game and Theis is only averaging 6.5 rebounds per game, that means your starting Center is below average.

Seriously, Theis is top 20 among Centers in the NBA and you're happy with that?

I think it's just a case of your standard is lower than mine.

He’s playing with 4 other starters who are great scorers. Of course his stats won’t be as great as centers playing in mediocre lineups.

« Reply #2159 on: February 26, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Of course you respond by pointing to raw RPG which is the worst measure of a C's quality of play in your reply.

He's comfortably a top 20 C in the league by most measures of production. That's starting quality as its a 30 team league, and he's the lowest salaried starter on the team!