Author Topic: Celtics/Clippers trade idea  (Read 5376 times)

Celtics/Clippers trade idea
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
I want to start by saying I do not want to see these guys go, but...

KG and Pierce to Clippers for Bledsoe,Jordan,Butler,Odom. I think This deal puts LA in a great position to win now. PP and KG with Griff and Paul could be deadly.  As for C's, they get 2 young pieces for the future, and when Odoms 8 mill come off the books next year, with a few other moves have enough to bring in Big Al or J.Smith in via FA.

Re: Celtics/Clippers trade idea
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.

Celtics give away the best two players and take back the worst contract (Jordan)

For a small guard of the future to go along with the other two small guards of the present and future.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
No.

Celtics give away the best two players and take back the worst contract (Jordan)

For a small guard of the future to go along with the other two small guards of the present and future.

Look I hear ya, tough to stomach, but can we do better?

Im pretty sure Their are not many other teams that KG waives his clause for.

Once again I would prefer to keep them, but if we are going to trade I think it works, everyone comes out happy...IMO

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.

Once again I would prefer to keep them, but if we are going to trade I think it works, everyone comes out happy...IMO

Not trading them and letting their contracts come off the book is better then this trade. 

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I don't understand why people are enamored with DeAndre Jordan. If he was still on a rookie deal or a even a cheap one it'd make sense. Right now the comparisons to Perk are apt for him, alebit with a different skill set.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
No.

LOl, can we do better?  Seriously?  An overpayed C who shoots 42% from the free throw line and can't play in the 4th quarter, Odom who we'd have to waive, Butler the only guy on the planet to go through Mountain Dew withdrawls, and a backup point guard.  This collection just lost their third straight to the Wizards.

Are you seriously asking if we could do better than that for two Hall of Famers who are signed to very good deals for All Star caliber players?

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
No.

Yes, can we?

You name a better deal that we can do? Take in to consideration that the other team has to be a contender, has to be somewhere they want to go, and a team that is willing/have room to take on both there

LOl, can we do better?  Seriously?  An overpayed C who shoots 42% from the free throw line and can't play in the 4th quarter, Odom who we'd have to waive, Butler the only guy on the planet to go through Mountain Dew withdrawls, and a backup point guard.  This collection just lost their third straight to the Wizards.

Are you seriously asking if we could do better than that for two Hall of Famers who are signed to very good deals for All Star caliber players?

Yes, Im serious.
Find me a better deal?

The team has to be a contender, has to be a prefered dest. for them, has to be a team that can take on both there contracts.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
No.

Yes, can we?

You name a better deal that we can do? Take in to consideration that the other team has to be a contender, has to be somewhere they want to go, and a team that is willing/have room to take on both there

Yes, Im serious.
Find me a better deal?

The team has to be a contender, has to be a prefered dest. for them, has to be a team that can take on both there contracts.

A contender, preferred destination and can handle both of their contracts that makes us a better basketball team than your Clippers trade.  Ok, let me think here...give me a minute...its coming to me...just a second...OK, I think I have it.  Boston.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Yeah I don't understand why people are enamored with DeAndre Jordan. If he was still on a rookie deal or a even a cheap one it'd make sense. Right now the comparisons to Perk are apt for him, alebit with a different skill set.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't understand.  Yeah, he's overpaid for his current production.  He's also a legitimate NBA center.  Ainge just used a 1st round pick to get a center project who might not even be able to play regularly for another year or two.  Where do you think Boston is going to get someone better than Jordan?  Without massively overpaying him?

For pete's sake, Omer Asik averaged 3.1 pts and 5.3 rebounds with Chicago and got 3 years, 26 million from Houston.  Roy Hibbert is getting 4 years, 58 million and has never averaged more than 13 points or 9 boards a game.

I'd kinda like to see KG and Pierce retire as Celtics, even if it makes the rebuilding process harder.  Let's not kid ourselves, however.  If KG and Pierce are gone and Boston has nothing but cap space to show for it, the team will almost certainly have to overpay or likely have to be in the lottery for several years just to get somebody as good as Jordan is now.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No.

Yes, can we?

Yes, Im serious.
Find me a better deal?

A contender, preferred destination and can handle both of their contracts that makes us a better basketball team than your Clippers trade.  Ok, let me think here...give me a minute...its coming to me...just a second...OK, I think I have it.  Boston.

Yeah, 'cause being a team struggling to hang onto a .500 record and the 8th playoff spot in the East is the ultimate fantasy of all fans.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No.

Not trading them and letting their contracts come off the book is better then this trade.

I was just about to say... Yes we can do better, by keeping them both.

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

That makes the Clippers starting five virtually unstoppable.

I want their first rounder, too, in this deal.

I think you're right that it might be the best thing out there for us, but I'm in no hurry to find out with a few weeks to go before the deadline.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't understand.  Yeah, he's overpaid for his current production.  He's also a legitimate NBA center.  Ainge just used a 1st round pick to get a center project who might not even be able to play regularly for another year or two.  Where do you think Boston is going to get someone better than Jordan?  Without massively overpaying him?

For pete's sake, Omer Asik averaged 3.1 pts and 5.3 rebounds with Chicago and got 3 years, 26 million from Houston.  Roy Hibbert is getting 4 years, 58 million and has never averaged more than 13 points or 9 boards a game.

I'd kinda like to see KG and Pierce retire as Celtics, even if it makes the rebuilding process harder.  Let's not kid ourselves, however.  If KG and Pierce are gone and Boston has nothing but cap space to show for it, the team will almost certainly have to overpay or likely have to be in the lottery for several years just to get somebody as good as Jordan is now.

Mike

According to Hoopsworld, Jordan has a 15% trade kicker so his average salary for 2013-2015 (2 seasons) would be $12.9M.  That is an awful lot for 9 pts and 8 rebs or whatever his production is.

It is too bad that this is not a little bit better contract because otherwise the idea of Bledsoe and Jordan for KG is a decent idea.  Jordan did have 21 rebs the other night which is huge so he certainly has some value.

Expanding this to include Pierce for Odom and Butler is far less appealing to me.  How about Pierce and Terry for Gasol and Earl Clark, then flip Gasol to Toronto for Bargnani and a young player we like.

It is pretty tough to come up with good trades for these guys but it is fun to try.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Getting Bargs who has two more years on his deal at around 11 million isn't a good deal (he has an ETO but I doubt he exercises it).

At this point Bargs has settled in my mind as an Al Harrington/Sheed with the C's type. Can space the floor for you and not a whole lot else. At least Sheed could play some mean post defense consistently and foul really hard.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For pete's sake, Omer Asik averaged 3.1 pts and 5.3 rebounds with Chicago and got 3 years, 26 million from Houston.
Asik is currently paid less and producing more than Jordan in a roughly similar role. I don't see how this example helps your argument.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."