Author Topic: ESPN Patriots Article (MERGED)  (Read 13615 times)

Re: Just found this on 98.5 Twitter page...
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 11:31:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So adding another strange wrinkle is the fact that it appears the Patriots only spoke to the Niners and no other team before trading Jimmy G.  The Browns were apparently willing to offer the Houston 1st (and maybe more) and would work with the Pats on finding a back-up QB, but were continually and consistently told Jimmy G wasn't available (one of those calls was 2 days before he was traded).

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/01/how_cleveland_browns_were_froz.html#incart_2box

I’d rather him go to the NFC anyway.
I can see that, but why not at least open the bidding up to other teams if for no other reason then to drive the Niners price up.  And of course, is a pick in the 30's with him in the NFC better than the 4th pick in the draft (plus potentially other compensation), which is what Cleveland would have offered. 

This just strikes of a last minute not very well thought out decision, which I can't imagine actually came from Bill. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Belichick was never going to send JG to Cleveland.  It's pretty apparent that Belichick held the kid in high regard and was aware of how much of a disaster of an organization Cleveland is.  San Fran was a better situation for him.  Also, in the NFC.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kraft is Red Auerbach.

Belichick is Danny Ainge.

Red refused to trade Bird, McHale and Parish and the team ended up in purgatory. Because Red was emotional.

Kraft is the same way with Brady.  Whom he considers one of his sons.

When Kraft made clear to Bill that Jimmy G was not going to replace Tom, Bill pulled a F U by trading him to SF for a relatively poor return; he clearly was worth more than a 2nd round pick in the marketplace. 

I hope TB really does play well until he is 45, because that is how long it will take to groom his replacement out of the draft. And that assumes we draft another Jimmy G, not another Ryan Mallett.

Ugh.

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Belichick was never going to send JG to Cleveland.  It's pretty apparent that Belichick held the kid in high regard and was aware of how much of a disaster of an organization Cleveland is.  San Fran was a better situation for him.  Also, in the NFC.
Yeah it seems like Bellichick was torn up and wanted to keep JG and move on from Brady. Really believed in him and wanted him in the NFC and someplace where he had a shot.

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is just silly.  Let's acquire a pick in the 30's rather than a pick in the top 10 plus other assets.  That isn't Bill unless he is just being spiteful to Kraft for making him trade Jimmy G.  That seems like something Bill would do. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is just silly.  Let's acquire a pick in the 30's rather than a pick in the top 10 plus other assets.  That isn't Bill unless he is just being spiteful to Kraft for making him trade Jimmy G.  That seems like something Bill would do.

You might think its silly but its almost certainly true.  Hell, even Joe Thomas speculated that was the case.

CLE is a dysfunctional mess.   Belichick seemed determined to steer JG to a better situation than that.

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 02:05:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

You might think its silly but its almost certainly true.  Hell, even Joe Thomas speculated that was the case.

CLE is a dysfunctional mess.   Belichick seemed determined to steer JG to a better situation than that.

What did Joe Thomas say? However, yea it wouldn't surprise me if Belechek really likes the kid to not send him to Cleveland. That franchise is becoming a problem for the NFL where the top prospects may stay in school to avoid it. Their losing to the Steelers backups in week 17 was a pretty embarrassment for how far behind the other teams they are.

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

What did Joe Thomas say? However, yea it wouldn't surprise me if Belechek really likes the kid to not send him to Cleveland. That franchise is becoming a problem for the NFL where the top prospects may stay in school to avoid it. Their losing to the Steelers backups in week 17 was a pretty embarrassment for how far behind the other teams they are.

Joe Thomas

Verified account

@joethomas73
 Jan 7
More Joe Thomas Retweeted kevin
I believe the following;
1) Bill loved Jimmy, wanted him to succeed  2) Bill loves Kyle, thinks he’ll succeed.  3) Bill thought that if he sent @JimmyG_10 somewhere with instability, he would sign with an Afc east team in 2018 and beat the Pats 2x every year for the next 10+ yrsJoe Thomas added,
kevin

@kiddicusmaximus
Replying to @joethomas73
I get that it’s a business first, but is there a chance that Belichick actually cared about JG & wanted him to go to a program run by someone (Kyle Shanahanaganaha) he thinks will help him?
25 replies 45 retweets 242 likes
Reply 25   Retweet 45   Like 242   Direct message

Joe Thomas‏Verified account
@joethomas73
Follow Follow @joethomas73
More
So he put all this together (and the pressure 2 get rid of Jimmy from his owner) and traded him to the Niners. Now, remaining argument is; was Bill too hasty in the process that he didn’t get fair value for Jimmy. I’d argue he was, due to trade deadline, middle of the season, etc

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kraft is Red Auerbach.

Belichick is Danny Ainge.

Red refused to trade Bird, McHale and Parish and the team ended up in purgatory. Because Red was emotional.

Kraft is the same way with Brady.  Whom he considers one of his sons.

When Kraft made clear to Bill that Jimmy G was not going to replace Tom, Bill pulled a F U by trading him to SF for a relatively poor return; he clearly was worth more than a 2nd round pick in the marketplace. 

I hope TB really does play well until he is 45, because that is how long it will take to groom his replacement out of the draft. And that assumes we draft another Jimmy G, not another Ryan Mallett.

Ugh.
There would be an absolute s---storm locally if the Pats ever sent Brady packing. I can see why Kraft would say no - and he pays the bills so ultimately it's his call.  Red did mess up in holding onto the Big 3 too long and Danny remembered it.  It's a bit ironic too that he was the guy who ultimately shipped out in the Ed Pinkney trade. 

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kid did his job, sat patiently on the bench, and brought home the bacon when he was asked to. What's there not to like?

edit: Also, G10 is one heck of a nickname. Much better than Jimmy GQ.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

ESPN pulls a CNN with Fake News on Brady, Belichick, Kraft and Patriots
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Seth Wickersham's espn article "For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?"

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

Is anyone else sick of the media creating fake news and then running with it? It is well known that outside of New England, the Patriots and Brady are hated because they win. So this writer created a false narrative to feed that hatred and ESPN went all in.  No wonder ESPN ratings are going down the tube.  Journalism is dead.

Re: ESPN pulls a CNN with Fake News on Brady, Belichick, Kraft and Patriots
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
If you think the tension in NE is fake then you are in denial...

Re: ESPN Patriots Article (MERGED)
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Jimmy G threw 7 TDs and 5 Int's against some of the weakest teams in the NFL this year.

I think he can be a good QB, but I'm not calling him a top 10 QB yet.

Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins, RG13, etc etc were all overhyped at one point.

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
You really think so?  Lame come back.  Tell us what part of the article do you think is true? We can have an intelligent discussion.

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I am sure there has always been some tension - these guys have been together and been at the top of their respective games since 2000 - but this thing reads like a National Enquirer article. Seriously, the author sounds like he is auditioning his script for a 'Real Hollywood Movie'.

I suppose it's possible these guys don't work it out, but they always have before. Brady is likely the MVP this year and should at least play at Garoppolo's level for another 3-4 years. People may want to trade off Brady for a nice return, but you don't do this to the greats when they want to stay. I am personally glad Bird, Russell, Havlicek, etc never played for another franchise. The PP/KG trade was obviously awesome, but PP still wanted to compete and was ready for the next chapter in his life outside of Boston.