Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120642 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1035 on: July 10, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
So now Toronto is "generating buzz" as a team that could trade for Kawhi.

With Lebron leaving the East, Toronto may continue to "go for it". That said, they probably also might have doubts about a DeRozan/Lowry back court going forward. The report says they may trade one of the two + pick(s) + young piece for Mills and Leonard.

I wouldn't mind that. Toronto IMO (stubbornly) has to do something and that could include gambling on a rental. Meanwhile, it's good for us because I still think we can beat TOR, but more importantly it keeps him away from PHI.
a week ago I said on here that Toronto and Milwaukee should both be working the phones to take a flyer on Kawhi.  It seems Toronto listened.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1036 on: July 10, 2018, 04:54:45 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

With Lebron leaving the East, Toronto may continue to "go for it". That said, they probably also might have doubts about a DeRozan/Lowry back court going forward. The report says they may trade one of the two + pick(s) + young piece for Mills and Leonard.

I wouldn't mind that. Toronto IMO (stubbornly) has to do something and that could include gambling on a rental. Meanwhile, it's good for us because I still think we can beat TOR, but more importantly it keeps him away from PHI.
a week ago I said on here that Toronto and Milwaukee should both be working the phones to take a flyer on Kawhi.  It seems Toronto listened.

I’m glad you got Toronto to listen to you, but how come Milwaukee hasn’t yet?

I think it’s a terrible idea for both, but moreso Toronto. They have two all-stars and a deep-ish team, are they really going to break that up for an assured rental that probably doesn’t even get them out of East (let alone a championship)? I think they should trade one (or even both) of their stars, but for a rebuild, not a rental.

As for Milwaukee... what would they give up? Outside of Giannis, who would they want? S&T of Parker? Meh, what else? And that would also almost assuredly be a rental. Going to a smaller market with an already established younger superstar?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1037 on: July 10, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I think it’s a terrible idea for both, but moreso Toronto. They have two all-stars and a deep-ish team, are they really going to break that up for an assured rental that probably doesn’t even get them out of East (let alone a championship)? I think they should trade one (or even both) of their stars, but for a rebuild, not a rental.

As for Milwaukee... what would they give up? Outside of Giannis, who would they want? S&T of Parker? Meh, what else? And that would also almost assuredly be a rental. Going to a smaller market with an already established younger superstar?

Why don't people think that adding a top 5 player would make Toronto a contender?

« Reply #1038 on: July 10, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

Why don't people think that adding a top 5 player would make Toronto a contender?

Also, when you consider Lowry/DeRozan all these years continually choke in the playoffs and underwhelm, I think you'd definitely entertain dealing one of the two and some other assets to acquire Kawhi + Mills (to make salaries all work). San Antonio might not want to go into a full rebuild and maybe willing to take back one of DeRozan/Lowry in a package.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1039 on: July 10, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Also, when you consider Lowry/DeRozan all these years continually choke in the playoffs and underwhelm, I think you'd definitely entertain dealing one of the two and some other assets to acquire Kawhi + Mills (to make salaries all work). San Antonio might not want to go into a full rebuild and maybe willing to take back one of DeRozan/Lowry in a package.

Well I think the idea is actually trying to add Leonard to Demar and Lowry.

« Reply #1040 on: July 10, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

Hard to do unless SAS is high on a Valanciunas or Ibaka (lol)

Or they could package a bunch of their young guys on cheaper contracts to get it done (including OG), but then that guts their team and weakens their bench considerably.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1041 on: July 10, 2018, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Hard to do unless SAS is high on a Valanciunas or Ibaka (lol)

Or they could package a bunch of their young guys on cheaper contracts to get it done (including OG), but then that guts their team and weakens their bench considerably.

I think the idea i heard floated was og, valuncias, and either siakim/other plus picks. Not sure how much is being offered to san antonio for the rental, but could approach being reasonable. Ibaka is beyond cooked.

« Reply #1042 on: July 10, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Leonard is refusing any teams access to his medical records. He has not played basketball in over a year and is threatening to sit out this year as well. I'm not interested. The guy is a head case.

« Reply #1043 on: July 10, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
San Antonio not likely to deal with Toronto unless Demar included. Don’t even think that would tickle their fancy.

« Reply #1044 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Toronto's run is over.  They are probably going to break up their next year anyway, so why not give it a last chance run at a title.  And you never know, maybe Kawhi falls in love with the City and organization like George did in OKC.

If the Raptors traded Powell, OG, Poeltl, Siakam, filler, and their 1st next summer for Kawhi, that would leave the Raptors with the best starting 5 in the East (Lowry, DeRozan, Leonard, Ibaka, Valanciunas), which still has some depth (VanVleet, Wright, Nogueira, Richardson) and a team that at least on paper might give the Warriors fits.  I don't see why they wouldn't take that chance.  Now the real question is, is that the best the Spurs are going to do.

As others have said, it could be a larger trade where Lowry or DeRozan (and a young player or two) goes out for Leonard and Mills, though I think that is a lesser option for the Raptors because I don't think that makes them the best team in the East.

Milwaukee has plenty of potential trades out there.  It could be Parker in a sign and trade or Middleton as the main piece, but they could also include Maker, Brogdon, and/or DiVincenzo.  They could also include someone like Henson and take Gasol back (shaving dollars from the Spurs).  So is Parker/Middleton, Maker, Brogdon, and DiVincenzo (maybe a 1st) a good enough package for the Spurs, I don't know, but it seems to be better than what Philly and LA have reportedly offered.  Post trade the Bucks would be Bledsoe, Leonard, Middleton/Parker, Giannis, Lopez, Snell, Plumlee, Henson, Ilyasova, Delly, Wilson, Jennings, Zeller, etc.  That team would have a pretty good shot at coming out of the East, and would pose some issues for the Warriors given the match-up problem Giannis, Leonard, and Middleton/Parker would pose for the Warriors (or for that matter any team).  It also is a pretty darn deep team with a well constructed bench.  Then you have the outside shot that Giannis and Kawhi really hit it off and Kawhi ends up wanting to spend the rest of his prime with a monster like Giannis next to him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1045 on: July 11, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

Toronto's run is over.  They are probably going to break up their next year anyway, so why not give it a last chance run at a title.  And you never know, maybe Kawhi falls in love with the City and organization like George did in OKC.

If the Raptors traded Powell, OG, Poeltl, Siakam, filler, and their 1st next summer for Kawhi, that would leave the Raptors with the best starting 5 in the East (Lowry, DeRozan, Leonard, Ibaka, Valanciunas), which still has some depth (VanVleet, Wright, Nogueira, Richardson) and a team that at least on paper might give the Warriors fits.  I don't see why they wouldn't take that chance.  Now the real question is, is that the best the Spurs are going to do.

As others have said, it could be a larger trade where Lowry or DeRozan (and a young player or two) goes out for Leonard and Mills, though I think that is a lesser option for the Raptors because I don't think that makes them the best team in the East.

Milwaukee has plenty of potential trades out there.  It could be Parker in a sign and trade or Middleton as the main piece, but they could also include Maker, Brogdon, and/or DiVincenzo.  They could also include someone like Henson and take Gasol back (shaving dollars from the Spurs).  So is Parker/Middleton, Maker, Brogdon, and DiVincenzo (maybe a 1st) a good enough package for the Spurs, I don't know, but it seems to be better than what Philly and LA have reportedly offered.  Post trade the Bucks would be Bledsoe, Leonard, Middleton/Parker, Giannis, Lopez, Snell, Plumlee, Henson, Ilyasova, Delly, Wilson, Jennings, Zeller, etc.  That team would have a pretty good shot at coming out of the East, and would pose some issues for the Warriors given the match-up problem Giannis, Leonard, and Middleton/Parker would pose for the Warriors (or for that matter any team).  It also is a pretty darn deep team with a well constructed bench.  Then you have the outside shot that Giannis and Kawhi really hit it off and Kawhi ends up wanting to spend the rest of his prime with a monster like Giannis next to him.

Nah. Even assuming Kawhi is mentally and physically healthy it is not close. Ibaka is outright trash. Valenciunas is soft and wildly overrated. Doesn't defend the rim. Lowry is a choker and is past his prime. DeRozan is OK but doesn't play good D. I'd bet other teams would value our players at every single position except SF. Raptors are gonna get exposed once again next year no matter what hey do. They are COOKED

Kyrie > Lowry
Brown = DeRozan
Hayward < Kawhi
Tatum >> Ibaka
Horford >> Valenciunas

Boston Bench >> Toronto Bench

« Reply #1046 on: July 11, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Nah. Even assuming Kawhi is mentally and physically healthy it is not close. Ibaka is outright trash. Valenciunas is soft and wildly overrated. Doesn't defend the rim. Lowry is a choker and is past his prime. DeRozan is OK but doesn't play good D. I'd bet other teams would value our players at every single position except SF. Raptors are gonna get exposed once again next year no matter what hey do. They are COOKED

Kyrie > Lowry
Brown = DeRozan
Hayward < Kawhi
Tatum >> Ibaka
Horford >> Valenciunas

Boston Bench >> Toronto Bench

This proposal seems silly. San Antonio is not going to trade Kawhi to Toronto if DeRozan not included in the trade, and even then it is very dubious.

« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Leonard is refusing any teams access to his medical records. He has not played basketball in over a year and is threatening to sit out this year as well. I'm not interested. The guy is a head case.

Which is why the Spurs will take what they can get....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Which is why the Spurs will take what they can get....

If this is the case why pay someone money to sit and pout. Waive him and stretch his salary
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #1049 on: July 12, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Vegas now favors Raptors as his landing spot.