Author Topic: Ainge summer of 2019 biggest disappointments but...  (Read 3837 times)

Re: Ainge summer of 2019 biggest disappointments but...
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm just glad we were able to keep the heart and soul of this team in Smart by not sending him out in any deals.

The summer isn’t done yet...

Nailed it. This is not the final team we’re going into the season opener with (apologies for the dangling participle).

I still think Bradley Beal might be in play. I've got to think Ainge is monitoring this situation. Whether anything happens is another question.
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/21/newly-minted-wizards-gm-tommy-sheppard-quickly-faces-bradley-beal-questions/

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm just glad we were able to keep the heart and soul of this team in Smart by not sending him out in any deals.

Nailed it. This is not the final team we’re going into the season opener with (apologies for the dangling participle).

I still think Bradley Beal might be in play. I've got to think Ainge is monitoring this situation. Whether anything happens is another question.
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/21/newly-minted-wizards-gm-tommy-sheppard-quickly-faces-bradley-beal-questions/
Beal is going to be expensive to get and he only has 2 years left on his contract so he'll be expensive to keep.  I don't see where he moves the needle much.  He's not a #1 star who's going to make us a championship contender. 

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Rather have a Center or PF than Beal..dont get me wrong, love to have him but our biggest need is frontcourt..plus i think Boston be last team Washington would deal with cause we are in same division
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don’t agree that there’s another big move to be made. This is from Bulpett’s recent article after the Kemba press conference:

While Danny Ainge stopped short of going full Norman Dale and saying, “This is your team,” he admitted to the Herald that, barring any unforeseen stars becoming available in the late summer, what you see now is what you’re going to get.

“I mean, obviously the answer’s yes,” he said. “We brought in a lot of new guys. But you never know what opportunities come.

“But, I mean, I’m not looking to move players. I like every guy that we’ve signed, every guy that we have. Now it’s just a matter of, are we the right fit? And that’s going to be up to Brad (Stevens) and I to try to figure out the best thing. But, yeah, I’m very satisfied with where we stand right now.”

It seems much more likely that if a trade happens, it will be near the deadline. Could be exciting to have an active deadline again!

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Rather have a Center or PF than Beal..dont get me wrong, love to have him but our biggest need is frontcourt..plus i think Boston be last team Washington would deal with cause we are in same division
We're not in the same division as Washington.  We're in the Atlantic and they are in SouthEast.  Divisions really don't matter anymore.  If the Wiz put Beal on the market, they'll trade him to whoever gives them the best offer. 

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I actually think we are going into the system with the team we have.

yup ...at this point we fight with the weapons we got.   

Maybe next year he ll look to get a better center ....but i ve sad that every year except when we signed Al .  ...sigh  :-\

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I'm excited about our team. I think it has a lot of promise and a lot of upside. Plus expectations around the league and in the media have dropped so each loss won't be scrutinized quite as heavily as it was this year. That said, I think we will surprise a lot of people. The league's pretty open this year and the EC more so. The team's not perfect, but part of the fun is seeing who among our group will rise to the top and grab their opportunity. Just as long as they remember TEAM FIRST, help your teammates be successful and they will do the same, and take it easy on the isos to try and rack up stats in Kyrie and Al's absence. I would be very disappointed if it becomes obvious they (whoever is left from last year) haven't learned from the mistakes of last year when it comes to that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I just dont see the Celtics making any more trades..maybe at trade deadline..but may see them sign one more player before start of season..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 04:39:19 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I was hurt / bothered by Big Al and Kyrie leaving and not getting AD but I think we've rebounded nicely - all things considered.

And what IS'NT getting enough coverage is THIS

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/anthony-davis-i-have-one-year-here/

Anthony Davis - IF THINGS GO SOUTH IN LA this year - could VERY WELL leave them after this season....LOL. Rich Paul stated that he WILL hit FA next summer.............

They would've mortgaged their future for a 1 year rental.

Sometimes it's best to just stay the course...I'm glad that we did NOT trade that much for him...dude could very well be a Celtic NEXT SEASON - and for FREE.

Not going to hold my breath but you could imagine if this happened??!!!  It would be amazing!! He changes his mind about LA and Boston. One can dream.....

Oh and he fires Rich Paul along the way (lol!!!)

Would we have CAP? Does Hayward have to opt out? Or Do we not extend Brown this year and over pay in a S&T next year for AD?

The dream is that Hayward plays great gets Max offer from another team and Walks..

Then sign Davis outright. Them resign Brown after Davis Signs.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22:50 AM »

Offline pablohoney

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
The huge disappointment is the loss of assets for nothing.  Kemba replacing Kyrie is a wash.  However, Horford and his max slot left for nothing and we were limited to $5 mil to replace him.  To get Kanter for that is lucky.  We had to let Morris and Rozier go for a measly second round pick.  Again, it was time for them to go but their salary slots could have netted a good return.

Danny made the most of a bad situation but he is still in a hole for this season - we don’t have enough salary to trade for a really good PF or C without trading one of Smart , Brown or Hayward.