Author Topic: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread  (Read 59098 times)

Re: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« Reply #645 on: January 15, 2024, 03:40:37 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Caleb declared for the draft.

Chicago has a decision to make. Sure, they are better off with a QB on a rookie deal. Sure, Fields hasn't inspired much confidence. I don't think they want to give him $30m per year.

The opportunity cost of selecting Caleb Williams at 1 is massive if he turns out to be a good, not great QB. They could have Harrison at 1, who is going to be a stud. Even more so, they could trade back and collect a ton of assets, in addition to a rookie quarterback.

This decision can make or break a GM's career. Chicago is a good market for football, so I hope they make the right call.

« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2024, 05:48:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Caleb declared for the draft.

Chicago has a decision to make. Sure, they are better off with a QB on a rookie deal. Sure, Fields hasn't inspired much confidence. I don't think they want to give him $30m per year.

The opportunity cost of selecting Caleb Williams at 1 is massive if he turns out to be a good, not great QB. They could have Harrison at 1, who is going to be a stud. Even more so, they could trade back and collect a ton of assets, in addition to a rookie quarterback.

This decision can make or break a GM's career. Chicago is a good market for football, so I hope they make the right call.

Yeah.

Fields + Harrison + 2nd rounder + future 1st > Williams + 3rd (or whatever they get for Fields)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2024, 06:18:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I don't see a situation where Arizona passes on Harrison at 4. If Chicago wants Harrison, they have to draft him at 1, or trade down to 2 or 3.

The Patriots fans that I know don't want to whiff on a QB with such a poor supporting cast. The two Washington fans that I know are in the same boat. Neither offense is equipped to win next year (or even the year after). Both Wash and NE will have new GMs. This will be the biggest decision they've ever made in their lives.

It would be hard for me to gamble my career on quarterbacks coming off relatively down years (Williams or Maye) or a skinny guy (Jayden Daniels). These guys aren't Peyton Manning.

« Reply #648 on: February 05, 2024, 02:00:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bill O'Brien's time as Ohio State's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach might end before it ever really began.

According to the Boston Herald, Boston College is close to finalizing a contract with O'Brien to become the Eagles head coach. He would replace Jeff Hafley, the former Ohio State defensive coordinator who left to take that position with the Green Bay Packers.

Come on, Eagles.  We're not looking for a championship.  We'll take 8 wins and the occasional upset of Notre Dame or Florida St.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #649 on: February 05, 2024, 02:06:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bill O'Brien's time as Ohio State's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach might end before it ever really began.

According to the Boston Herald, Boston College is close to finalizing a contract with O'Brien to become the Eagles head coach. He would replace Jeff Hafley, the former Ohio State defensive coordinator who left to take that position with the Green Bay Packers.

Come on, Eagles.  We're not looking for a championship.  We'll take 8 wins and the occasional upset of Notre Dame or Florida St.

Pretty much. Maybe a singular upper tier bowl appearance in the next decade.  And trying to avoid getting relegated to 2nd tier when the inevitable Super 2 comes into fruition. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #650 on: February 05, 2024, 06:36:36 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I don't see a situation where Arizona passes on Harrison at 4. If Chicago wants Harrison, they have to draft him at 1, or trade down to 2 or 3.

The Patriots fans that I know don't want to whiff on a QB with such a poor supporting cast. The two Washington fans that I know are in the same boat. Neither offense is equipped to win next year (or even the year after). Both Wash and NE will have new GMs. This will be the biggest decision they've ever made in their lives.

It would be hard for me to gamble my career on quarterbacks coming off relatively down years (Williams or Maye) or a skinny guy (Jayden Daniels). These guys aren't Peyton Manning.

Washingtons taking a QB.  They have 90mil in cap space, multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks which can be used to help fill other holes.  You use the #2 pick on the QB.  Even more so because they had the #2 pick just a couple years ago and chose to make the ‘safe’ pick and took Chase Young, who was viewed as can’t miss,’ instead of Justin Herbert, which was a disaster.  Different regime I know, but you can’t afford to make that mistake twice in less than 5 years.

I’m hoping Chicago takes Caleb Williams bc I want Drake May.  Though I wouldn’t be terribly disappointed with Williams.  I want nothing to do with Jayden Daniels
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 06:45:41 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #651 on: February 09, 2024, 03:52:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Chip Kelly is leaving UCLA to become Ohio  State's offensive coordinator to replace Bill O'Brien who had the job like a month.  What a weird move from Kelly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #652 on: April 24, 2024, 09:12:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Reggie Bush is getting his Heisman back. Common sense is actually prevailing.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Exclusive: Reggie Bush is getting his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, ESPN has learned, with a formal “reinstatement” of the trophy coming today. The decision comes amid what the Heisman Trust calls “enormous changes in the college football landscape.” https://es.pn/3w92KUR

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #653 on: April 24, 2024, 10:05:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Reggie Bush is getting his Heisman back. Common sense is actually prevailing.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Exclusive: Reggie Bush is getting his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, ESPN has learned, with a formal “reinstatement” of the trophy coming today. The decision comes amid what the Heisman Trust calls “enormous changes in the college football landscape.” https://es.pn/3w92KUR
Its legal now to get paid in college & every team did it back then, but had nothing to do with his on field achievements, should never been taken away
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin