Author Topic: Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich discussing how he trolled Bird  (Read 2554 times)

Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich discussing how he trolled Bird
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
This morning Toucher and Rich were discussing Kyrie's actions throwing the game ball into the stands after Murray took that end of game shot. Ainge went on to say he would have done the same thing and stated that people didn't stat hunt back when he played. That's when Tony Mazz texted in to ask about a game where apparently Ainge had the season's free throw % title but hadn't taken enough free throws in the season to be eligible, so he drove to the basket several times to get to the minimum amount of free throws taken. Ainge laughed it off and said it was true but there was a story behind it, which ended up being one of the most hilarious Celtic history stories I've heard.

Apparently, Bird had a free throw shooting incentive in his shoe contract for $50k. Ainge's plan was to get to the line one last time so that he would qualify for the highest free throw % that season, thus knocking Bird out. He was going to make the first shot, call a time out, and then negotiate with Bird his cut of the $50k in order to miss the next free throw. Before he could get his last drive to the basket KC Jones took him out, ending his negotiating ability. I love this level of trolling, Ainge is the man.

Re: Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich discussing how he trolled Bird
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Funny story TP.  I originally thought the title implied Jabari Bird.  How sad.  Larry Legend is the GOAT, and I was thinking Jabari freaking Bird.   ::)

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Funny story TP.  I originally thought the title implied Jabari Bird.  How sad.  Larry Legend is the GOAT, and I was thinking Jabari freaking Bird.   ::)

The story was funny but that's funnier 😂😂😂

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:35:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Love the story.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 12:40:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
"People didn't stat hunt back in the day" - can I introduce you to Wilt Chamberlain? Or, in Ainge's playing days, the 1994 Shaq/David Robinson final game scoring title fight?

Great story though.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
And then Danny would have been suspended for the league for life for point shaving...

Actually, this was '86, and the Pete Rose scandal wasn't public until '89 so this probably wouldn't have been a big deal.  Seriously though, Charles Barkley and Mark Jackson got fined $5k in '90 because Barkley yelled something like "I bet you $1,000 I make these next 2 free throws," and then "I bet you $5k you'll miss this next shot"  I remember Barkley wrote about it in his first book Outrageous,  David Stern gave him a call the next day and lectured him about it.  How would it look if Jackson missed and didn't pass to an open teammate because he wanted to win the bet with Barkley?  The integrity of the game is compromised!

I remember reading about the Bird/Ainge thing too in Bird's book Drive (IIRC).  Who remembers why it didn't actually work though?  I think McHale purposely committed a lane violation so Ainge wouldn't get it (or said he would if it came to that).  Can't quite remember though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class