Author Topic: Sooooo the Lakers are the 2nd worst team in the league  (Read 6775 times)

Re: Sooooo the Lakers are the 2nd worst team in the league
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 01:28:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I don't think they are tanking, I think they are terrible.

There has been some weird stuff going on lately you can spot if you pay attention. Small example Louis Williams is definitely there best player. Last night he scored 20 points but they only played him 25 minutes. Russell and randle also seem to be having more and more phantom injuries. Calderon is starting for some Bizarre reason even though someone like chase randle the 76ers just got is probably already a better player.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

There has been some weird stuff going on lately you can spot if you pay attention. Small example Louis Williams is definitely there best player. Last night he scored 20 points but they only played him 25 minutes. Russell and randle also seem to be having more and more phantom injuries. Calderon is starting for some Bizarre reason even though someone like chase randle the 76ers just got is probably already a better player.
If they are tanking, they need to trade Williams.  He's on a good contract so some playoff team ought to be willing to trade a protected 1st for him. 

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 01:47:52 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Oh no... never mind the secret drawing it is all certified by a big 8 CPA firm. LOL.

That would be the same hallowed institutions that certified derivatives that collapsed the world financial system but for the taxpayers that bailed out the system.

We have to trust these big eight firms because well because they are big eight firms. They are the same firms that certified the books of Enron.

No, the NBA lottery is not rigged. Cleveland just happened to pick up top lottery picks right after LeBron jilted them.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:38 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Oh no... never mind the secret drawing it is all certified by a big 8 CPA firm. LOL.

That would be the same hallowed institutions that certified derivatives that collapsed the world financial system but for the taxpayers that bailed out the system.

We have to trust these big eight firms because well because they are big eight firms. They are the same firms that certified the books of Enron.

No, the NBA lottery is not rigged. Cleveland just happened to pick up top lottery picks right after LeBron jilted them.

Here here, Ogaju.

Hate to say it but between the control of the referee's have over the game by choosing how it's called and the sketchyness of the draft lottery, there are some that have argued that it's only slightly less scripted than professional wrestling.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
People need to stop with this "the lottery is fixed nonsense" because it's realllllly dumb.

Well Anthony Davis went to the Pelicans the year the NBA sold the New Orleans franchise to Tom Benson's group potentially increasing the value of the franchise by $100's of millions and Derrick Rose went to his hometown Chicago on a 1.7% chance. There was the New York Knicks fiasco in the 80's and the fact that they don't show them pulling the picks in real time.

If it's not fixed, the NBA has had a terrible run of luck from events making it look fixed.

TP for mic drop comeback

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:59 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
People need to stop with this "the lottery is fixed nonsense" because it's realllllly dumb.

Well Anthony Davis went to the Pelicans the year the NBA sold the New Orleans franchise to Tom Benson's group potentially increasing the value of the franchise by $100's of millions and Derrick Rose went to his hometown Chicago on a 1.7% chance. There was the New York Knicks fiasco in the 80's and the fact that they don't show them pulling the picks in real time.

If it's not fixed, the NBA has had a terrible run of luck from events making it look fixed.

TP for mic drop comeback
Yeah citing three events out of 32 years he really did provide irrefutable proof what is the NBA going to do? I posted this list in another thread but perhaps it is needed here as well http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/lottery_winners that's all the lottery winners if you were the NBA trying to hand pick winners to provide you with the most profit I think the list would be full of bigger cities, looking back over the llast 20 years or so you see Cleveland Milwaukee Orlando Toronto Portland Washington Minnesota, last year philly a team that more obviously tanked than any team in history why would they reward them. Things missing on there would be the knicks(after 1985) the lakers, the Celtics you know like the teams that get he most attention

I get that everyone wants to think it is their team against the world but it just doesn't make sense

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

TP for mic drop comeback
Yeah citing three events out of 32 years he really did provide irrefutable proof what is the NBA going to do? I posted this list in another thread but perhaps it is needed here as well http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/lottery_winners that's all the lottery winners if you were the NBA trying to hand pick winners to provide you with the most profit I think the list would be full of bigger cities, looking back over the llast 20 years or so you see Cleveland Milwaukee Orlando Toronto Portland Washington Minnesota, last year philly a team that more obviously tanked than any team in history why would they reward them. Things missing on there would be the knicks(after 1985) the lakers, the Celtics you know like the teams that get he most attention

I get that everyone wants to think it is their team against the world but it just doesn't make sense

I'm not saying they do it every year. If there's no franchise changer on the board I bet they just let it roll. But when you've got franchise players like Irving, Wiggins, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Derrick Rose it's within the league's best interest to make sure that they end up in a market that will most benefit the league as a whole.

Like I said I found AD to be the most egregious. Certainly wasn't hard for NO to end up in the top spot but IMO no matter how many times they rolled it no other team was going to end up with Davis that year.

Also not saying that it's us against the world. I think this year the best story would be to put Markelle Fultz on the Boston Celtics, rewarding the team that said no to tanking and instead relied on clever trade work and cap management. We'll see how the "Ping pong balls" fall.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 06:31:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good.

All is well in my Basketball World, then.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 07:20:17 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

TP for mic drop comeback

I'm not saying they do it every year. If there's no franchise changer on the board I bet they just let it roll. But when you've got franchise players like Irving, Wiggins, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Derrick Rose it's within the league's best interest to make sure that they end up in a market that will most benefit the league as a whole.

Like I said I found AD to be the most egregious. Certainly wasn't hard for NO to end up in the top spot but IMO no matter how many times they rolled it no other team was going to end up with Davis that year.

Also not saying that it's us against the world. I think this year the best story would be to put Markelle Fultz on the Boston Celtics, rewarding the team that said no to tanking and instead relied on clever trade work and cap management. We'll see how the "Ping pong balls" fall.
Of the examples you cited there I give you that Rose and Davis could look a little suspicious if that trend continued through the list, but I hardly think that Clevelandx2, Washington and the Clippers are where the league would necessarily want the big franchise players.
Why would the league want Irving to go to a horrible team in a small market?
The year Wiggins was drafted the celtics lakers and 76ers all had better odds than cleveland. Three bigger market teams than Cleveland.
The year Wall was drafted the Nets had the best odds and that was the year they finalized that they would be going to Brooklyn, big market good story.
The year griffin was drafted the knicks were 14th in the east, that would have been a good story but instead he goes to one of the worst run franchises in history.

And then there is this "The drawing of the ping-pong balls is conducted in private, though observed by independent auditors and representatives from each team." you would think the team representatives would make sure everything was by the book they have no reason to hope the best players go to other teams.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
They'd be smart to tank in this draft, but they don't have to. They just plain suck especially their recent draft picks and ownership.
Ya I'm not too high on Russell, but if they could some how get their hands on a guy like Dennis Smith Jr.?? Their future would be looking really bright
I believe some people said similar things last year when the lakers picked Ingram.

Too often I see posters who seem to assume that a draft pick will resurrect a franchise. Occasionally it happens,perhaps with embiid. But then look at Anthony Davis. All thattalentandhisteam still stinks.

It will take a lot more than smith to make the future bright for the lakers. Which is great news. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 08:01:33 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

TP for mic drop comeback

How dare you insert rationality, facts, and logic into this discussion??  ;D

Oh, and a tp for the post. Good job.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
They'd be smart to tank in this draft, but they don't have to. They just plain suck especially their recent draft picks and ownership.
Ya I'm not too high on Russell, but if they could some how get their hands on a guy like Dennis Smith Jr.?? Their future would be looking really bright
I believe some people said similar things last year when the lakers picked Ingram.

Too often I see posters who seem to assume that a draft pick will resurrect a franchise. Occasionally it happens,perhaps with embiid. But then look at Anthony Davis. All thattalentandhisteam still stinks.

It will take a lot more than smith to make the future bright for the lakers. Which is great news. ;D
I'm not sure about that, I'm a lot higher on Smith than most people and I actually think he is a tier 1 prospect. He is possible the most athletic player in this draft and has that alpha dog in him that not many guys have. Put that along with his incredible talent and intangibles and I think he is the type of player that can really turn your franchise around. 
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I'm not sure about that, I'm a lot higher on Smith than most people and I actually think he is a tier 1 prospect. He is possible the most athletic player in this draft and has that alpha dog in him that not many guys have. Put that along with his incredible talent and intangibles and I think he is the type of player that can really turn your franchise around.

AND Smith is still likely only about 85% back from his ACL surgery!!!!!  He is a little Wade IMHO!!!!  Very similar games, just an inch shorter!!

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

You guys know the NBA doesn't do the lottery right?

The one that I could see was Ewing, because the video of that is just bizarre. But in the current ping pong version? Not really.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

I occasionally watch their games, and I agree that essentially Lou and Nick Young are their two best perimeter players (which is hilarious considering they've got consecutive #2 picks at PG/Wing), that being said Russell's injury wasn't fake. I was watching that game on league pass and he definitely tweaked his knee.

I think they are trying stuff out with the young guys, sometimes to the detriment of winning every single game. I don't think that is tanking though. Like Brandon Ingram ran point because they were thin there, and was generally pretty awful at it with a few man this kid could be good in 2-3  years type flashes. Is that Tanking? I guess you could argue it either way.

All I know is that if you're bad enough to lose by like 50 to a mediocre Dallas team, then you probably don't need to try to lose. You're just going to lose a lot.

Not to mention the bizarro world FO with the Buzz kids.