Author Topic: SI paints very bleak picture of 76ers  (Read 6751 times)

Re: SI paints very bleak picture of 76ers
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
If they are as good as they could be and can play together, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice players in the backcourt.

Huh?  Would this be Wroten, one of the worst shooters and most turnover-prone ballhandlers in the NBA, Canaan, who can't defend anybody, Stauskas, who hasn't proven he can do anything at an NBA level, or Thompson, who can shoot but, like Canaan, can't defend a chair?

I think the Sixers have at least a couple guys in the backcourt who could function as solid backups to two capable starters.  That team desperately needs a starting caliber point guard and a two way shooting guard.

The Sixers do have plenty of depth in backup-floor-general types.  I like both Marshall and McConnel in a Phil Pressey / 10-15 mpg pass-first guard role.
I meant backcourt also including the 3, which is where you have Covington who I think a lot of people like.  I think Stuaskas is going to be pretty good.  And as you say Thompson is an excellent shooter.  Wroten is alright.  then you have Canaan, Sampson and Grant who aren't bad for bench players. 

If Noel and Okafor as good as advertised, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice role players surrounding them (Landry isn't bad backup big either). 

Covington, Wroten, and Landry have all yet to play this year and Stauskas missed the first game.

Covington is the only rotation caliber player they have right now besides the bigs. Maybe Stauskus and Cannan prove to be that with the extended PT they'll get in Philly but Covington is the only non-big on that team I'd like on the C's right now. I like him, for sure.

Re: SI paints very bleak picture of 76ers
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
If they are as good as they could be and can play together, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice players in the backcourt.

Huh?  Would this be Wroten, one of the worst shooters and most turnover-prone ballhandlers in the NBA, Canaan, who can't defend anybody, Stauskas, who hasn't proven he can do anything at an NBA level, or Thompson, who can shoot but, like Canaan, can't defend a chair?

I think the Sixers have at least a couple guys in the backcourt who could function as solid backups to two capable starters.  That team desperately needs a starting caliber point guard and a two way shooting guard.

The Sixers do have plenty of depth in backup-floor-general types.  I like both Marshall and McConnel in a Phil Pressey / 10-15 mpg pass-first guard role.
I meant backcourt also including the 3, which is where you have Covington who I think a lot of people like.  I think Stuaskas is going to be pretty good.  And as you say Thompson is an excellent shooter.  Wroten is alright.  then you have Canaan, Sampson and Grant who aren't bad for bench players. 

If Noel and Okafor as good as advertised, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice role players surrounding them (Landry isn't bad backup big either). 

Covington, Wroten, and Landry have all yet to play this year and Stauskas missed the first game.

Covington is the only rotation caliber player they have right now besides the bigs. Maybe Stauskus and Cannan prove to be that with the extended PT they'll get in Philly but Covington is the only non-big on that team I'd like on the C's right now. I like him, for sure.

Canaan and Wroten stink. If Kendall Marshall gets healthy and recovers fully he's definitely a rotation player. People kinda forget he was a large reason that the Bucks had the best bench in basketball pre-deadline last year, his injury hurt them a lot. Covington is the only guy other than Noel that would start on a team trying to compete for a title this year.

Stauskas I think will be pretty good, but he has to prove it because he wasn't last year. He looked good against the Jazz though.