Author Topic: SI paints very bleak picture of 76ers  (Read 6750 times)

Re: SI paints very bleak picture of 76ers
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
They will get better... wroten stauscas grant noel and okafor... are not bad.. if if enbiid  can play again next year they have some options... they have 2-3 lottery picks.. if they trade one for a good player and one of their bigs for another they would have a much better team. Add saric
They could have brown and  murrey and briscoe from the next draft
Imagine murray brown saric noel okafor embiid briscoe... with 1 2 good trades and signing 3 good role players ...
I think they tried to return slow... they could fail... but they will have talent
Probably 3 of your list of 5 are bad.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 07:23:57 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I would be pushing to steal Saric and bring him over. He's worth zero to them if 2 years out and things going awry in Philly. For Boston, he might come over next year if we set him up right to cash in one his 2nd contract + endorsements.

Embiid, eh, he's a total mess but if they really were giving him away worth a flyer. Two years of broken feet and a horrible attitude are a pretty bad combo. Seems destined to do nothing on his rookie contract.

Wroten is better than people think (IMO) but wouldn't fit well here. Still 22 and elite at getting to the line (6 FTA in 30 minutes) but he can't shoot and Philly may have ruined him.

Noel is an obvious target but Philly isn't stupid (I think). Noel and Okafor shouldn't be leaving for any reasonable price.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
*The reason embiid was sent home from the west coast trip was for physically threatening the strength and conditioning coach

ummm what?
I know. I'm trying to imagine him getting out of his Stephen Hawking chair and walking all the way across a room to physically threaten someone and I'm just not seeing it.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Things can change in a hurry for them.  With their own pick, and possibly the Lakers pick(if it falls outside the top 3) they can draft 2 more lottery picks, and lets say they trade one of Okafer or Noel they can get something really good in return.  They may even be able to trade Saric and Embiid for something good in return.  They also have Stauskas who as a young player may turn into something.  Then once they feel they have a solid young nucleus in place they can fill in the gaps with solid role players with all the cap space they have.

Too soon to write off their rebuild just yet.
In other words, three years minimum till they sniff the playoffs.
Or they use their likely 4 first round picks (Lakers top 3, Heat top 10, Thunder top 15) to some good use and acquire some players with them.  Then use the massive cap space they own to add a few more players and all of a sudden the young guys they have are surrounded by increased talent and they are an immediate contender.  I mean that is what people think Boston is going to do with all the picks and cap space, why wouldn't that work for Philadelphia.

Even if they don't make many moves, the playoff question is really about how good Noel and Okafor actually are and if they can play well together.  If they are as good as they could be and can play together, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice players in the backcourt.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 11:39:12 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Someone posted the parts of this article about Embiid disobeying doctors orders and the teams dietary advice, but this article has much more negative things to say about the 76ers current process. I thought it deserved a separate thread beyond just embiid. I recommend the read, but some of the other lowlights:

*The reason embiid was sent home from the west coast trip was for physically threatening the strength and conditioning coach
*There was internal strife about whether to trade MCW
* Coach Browns standing may not be as secure as it seems
* Saric's father handles a lot of his son's business and wants him nowhere near the 76ers.
*"When Hinkie traveled to Turkey to meet with Saric in the summer of 2014, he was given very little face time with him, at the father’s direction."

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

The internal strife of the marketing department not knowing lol? The Embiid stuff is pretty old, and the Saric stuff is just silly. He's been adamant he's coming over after 2 years.

Brown's an excellent coach, with two years left on his contract. How many coaches get extended two years before the end of their contract? It's an entire year too early to bring that up.

The Embiid stuff is a bit revealing, and I don't think anybody's that surprised about the diet thing. The Sixers denied the SL stuff pretty heavily.

TBH it just seems like time for the annual bored Sixers hot take.

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 12:28:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Someone posted the parts of this article about Embiid disobeying doctors orders and the teams dietary advice, but this article has much more negative things to say about the 76ers current process. I thought it deserved a separate thread beyond just embiid. I recommend the read, but some of the other lowlights:

* Saric's father handles a lot of his son's business and wants him nowhere near the 76ers.
*"When Hinkie traveled to Turkey to meet with Saric in the summer of 2014, he was given very little face time with him, at the father’s direction."

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

The internal strife of the marketing department not knowing lol? The Embiid stuff is pretty old, and the Saric stuff is just silly. He's been adamant he's coming over after 2 years.

Brown's an excellent coach, with two years left on his contract. How many coaches get extended two years before the end of their contract? It's an entire year too early to bring that up.

The Embiid stuff is a bit revealing, and I don't think anybody's that surprised about the diet thing. The Sixers denied the SL stuff pretty heavily.

As a 76ers fan, what do you think the odds are of Boston landing him?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

better than the Sixers odds of retaining him ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:42:56 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Man...

I think Smart would definitely have to center that package, and I kinda think Ainge and Hinkie much prefer swindling stupid GMs as opposed to dealing with each other. Like look at the teams the two have swung major trades with: Billy King(bad), Dallas(desperate), New Orleans(desperate), Kings(insane?), T'Wolves(RIP, but bad), Denver(bad), Phoneix(both of our teams, and they panicked) and there are probably a few more with teams that kinda had to make a move but didn't get ripped off.

Both teams probably want picks in addition to whichever of Smart/Noel they're giving up, and I doubt either is really going to give up the two best young defensive players at their respective positions(G/CF) WITH picks.

I know you guys like Noel because he's from Mass, but I'm not sure it makes much sense in this case. If you did it'd have to be for Smart. While you guys have the picks in terms of Noel's total value probably, I think the Sixers, despite the narrative, are past the point where they're going to sell off a really good young player for picks. Getting guys like Noel was the point of Sam Hinkie doing the Rommel impersonation.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If they are as good as they could be and can play together, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice players in the backcourt.

You could certainly argue the Sixers are closer to a title than Boston because they're already got potentially elite talent on the roster.  They are far, far, FAAAAAAAAAAAAR away from making the playoffs, however, even in the East.

Baring injuries, the Thunder pick could be in the upper 20s, the Heat pick in the upper teens and even the Lakers pick could easily be 9-10.  As has been exhaustively argued already, you tend not to get different making franchise players with those kind of picks.

Even if they get good players, they'll still be very, very young and young teams don't win in the NBA.

And EVERYONE is going to have cap space.  In the next off season, if both Boston and Philly slap max contract offers down, what player in his right mind would choose the Sixers over us?

Mike

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If they are as good as they could be and can play together, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice players in the backcourt.

Huh?  Would this be Wroten, one of the worst shooters and most turnover-prone ballhandlers in the NBA, Canaan, who can't defend anybody, Stauskas, who hasn't proven he can do anything at an NBA level, or Thompson, who can shoot but, like Canaan, can't defend a chair?

I think the Sixers have at least a couple guys in the backcourt who could function as solid backups to two capable starters.  That team desperately needs a starting caliber point guard and a two way shooting guard.

The Sixers do have plenty of depth in backup-floor-general types.  I like both Marshall and McConnel in a Phil Pressey / 10-15 mpg pass-first guard role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Huh?  Would this be Wroten, one of the worst shooters and most turnover-prone ballhandlers in the NBA, Canaan, who can't defend anybody, Stauskas, who hasn't proven he can do anything at an NBA level, or Thompson, who can shoot but, like Canaan, can't defend a chair?

I think the Sixers have at least a couple guys in the backcourt who could function as solid backups to two capable starters.  That team desperately needs a starting caliber point guard and a two way shooting guard.

Yeah, they're hoping Stauskas shakes the rust off which is a fair bet given the craziness in Sac Town...

But the rest of the guys they have there are backups at best. Marshall is the only one who is clearly an NBA player, and in proving he belongs in the NBA he's also proven that he's not going to play more than 15 mins per game for a contender as well.

I'm a pretty big Sixers homer, but if our PG situation isn't the worst positional grouping of any team in the NBA by a wide margin I'd be pretty shocked.

Canaan sucks, McConnell also sucks but can't shoot, Thompson is 8 minutes of standing in the corner hoisting 3s per game on a good team(we're not a good team, so he starts lol), and Stauskas still has to break out before we can really count on anything from him.

Marshall is a good PG for a developing team, and will definitely open up the offense but he is a sieve defensively. Wroten is a turnover machine who can't shoot or defend and is only average at the rim. 10 million dollar crossover, 10 cent jumper.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The moranis assessments of 76ers role players has started to approach legendary status. It has evolved beyond caricature into a soft spot between assertive hyperbole and pure lunacy.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
As much as I'd love the 76ers picture to be bleak...they were handed a gift by the Lakers this year when Okafor fell in their lap. 

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
As much as I'd love the 76ers picture to be bleak...they were handed a gift by the Lakers this year when Okafor fell in their lap.

I thankful they got him ...not the Lakers got him....whew Celtics dodged a bullet

I'm praying Embiid gets healthy........so then one of the lottery picks will need to leave .  Too many big money centers

I'm hoping Nerlins hates pile of crap team he is on..the Bruce Jenner look alike coach and the GM with the dorkiest name ever ......sounds like a South Park TURD ....MR Hinkie .....76ers poo ....

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The Sixers do have plenty of depth in backup-floor-general types.  I like both Marshall and McConnel in a Phil Pressey / 10-15 mpg pass-first guard role.
I meant backcourt also including the 3, which is where you have Covington who I think a lot of people like.  I think Stuaskas is going to be pretty good.  And as you say Thompson is an excellent shooter.  Wroten is alright.  then you have Canaan, Sampson and Grant who aren't bad for bench players. 

If Noel and Okafor as good as advertised, the Sixers aren't that far away from the playoffs as they have some nice role players surrounding them (Landry isn't bad backup big either). 

Covington, Wroten, and Landry have all yet to play this year and Stauskas missed the first game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip