Author Topic: Rudy Gobert 13 points, 18 rebounds, 4 blocks. Now 5th highest center PER in NBA.  (Read 6750 times)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Such a talented player. I would do pretty much anything it would take to try to grab him, but I doubt the Jazz would deal him with the potential he possesses. Hard to believe he went so late in the draft.
For every big man who puts it together there are 3 more who don't and 2 more who just become "okay".
This is so true, and seems to be especially true of big men.  I'd be interested to see an analysis of the successes and failures and the perceived causes.  i.e. How do we decide between WCS, Darkari Johnson, etc.  Do we just "take swings" and rely on (Ainge's) intuition?
The draft is a generally considered to be a crapshoot. Drafting bigs must be a craphsoot within a crapshoot. Personally, unless the C's have a chance at Okafor (who seems to be head and shoulders better than all the big men), I would NOT take a big with the lotto pick. I think they are extremely risky and would much rather gamble on a wing player. It's hard to predict with big guys so I would rather Ainge target them in FA/trades. That's just my opinion.

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Such a talented player. I would do pretty much anything it would take to try to grab him, but I doubt the Jazz would deal him with the potential he possesses. Hard to believe he went so late in the draft.
For every big man who puts it together there are 3 more who don't and 2 more who just become "okay".
This is so true, and seems to be especially true of big men.  I'd be interested to see an analysis of the successes and failures and the perceived causes.  i.e. How do we decide between WCS, Darkari Johnson, etc.  Do we just "take swings" and rely on (Ainge's) intuition?
The draft is a generally considered to be a crapshoot. Drafting bigs must be a craphsoot within a crapshoot. Personally, unless the C's have a chance at Okafor (who seems to be head and shoulders better than all the big men), I would NOT take a big with the lotto pick. I think they are extremely risky and would much rather gamble on a wing player. It's hard to predict with big guys so I would rather Ainge target them in FA/trades. That's just my opinion.
I think this is the luxury of having a bazillion picks.  Maybe you pick Fab Melo, Walter Tavares, and Hassan Whiteside.  Congrats, you have 1 NBA player and you're batting .333.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
I think this is the luxury of having a bazillion picks.  Maybe you pick Fab Melo, Walter Tavares, and Hassan Whiteside.  Congrats, you have 1 NBA player and you're batting .333.
You're right about how having a ton of picks might give them a little more room for error. But a miss in a top 5 pick still hurts a lot. I'd rather they go for more established talent at that position. 

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
You're right about how having a ton of picks might give them a little more room for error. But a miss in a top 5 pick still hurts a lot. I'd rather they go for more established talent at that position.
I agree, but what does "established" mean?  Is WCS established?

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
I agree, but what does "established" mean?  Is WCS established?
Established as in proven NBA center. WCS is not established. That being said, I wouldn't mind WCS with the 2nd pick assuming the C's could trade down.

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Stein will go in top 10. He keeps getting better.  I agree it is hard to  guess on a rim protector. Plus they can get hurt easier too. Oden Bowie... But this draft does have some good bigs in it. We will have a good shot. Kanter may be had now that Gobert is doing so well.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek