Author Topic: Rudy Gobert 13 points, 18 rebounds, 4 blocks. Now 5th highest center PER in NBA.  (Read 6749 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

The stifle tower is going to make your life hard around the rim.
footwork continues to get better.
Although not as tall, this is a guy that gets Willy Causey Stein fans excited about defensive instincts and athletic insanity mixed with freakish length and potential on offense.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-y44CFaopQM
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
His defense is incredibly impressive. Future DPOY.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=60449.0

Just saying. This is one of the few guys I had a hunch on and was right. Others Luke Babbit, JJJ not so much.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=60449.0

Just saying. This is one of the few guys I had a hunch on and was right. Others Luke Babbit, JJJ not so much.
Hold onto that one!

Every hit is worth so many misses in basketball.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2286270-kenneth-faried-rejects-jazzs-rudy-gobert-at-rim-keeps-play-alive-on-other-end#ooid=k5b3Excjrcpku9vB8_NQ3HLxPII31qWZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOjNQ6ZdPAg

Yep, he is human he can be blocked still and dunked on.

Does he have talent, yes and he is mobile and active something we should look for in our next front court!

The highlights are great but lowlights balance them.  He was blocked by the 6-8 Faried  in the first and dunked on by 6-9 Josh Smith.  So athletes, we do not have many can battle with him ok.  After watching Sully and KO in that film he looks like Carl Lewis.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The stifle tower

What's this, a nickname that isn't an abbreviation/initials + jersey number? In 2015??
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I also saw the french rejection.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Such a talented player. I would do pretty much anything it would take to try to grab him, but I doubt the Jazz would deal him with the potential he possesses. Hard to believe he went so late in the draft.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Such a talented player. I would do pretty much anything it would take to try to grab him, but I doubt the Jazz would deal him with the potential he possesses. Hard to believe he went so late in the draft.
For every big man who puts it together there are 3 more who don't and 2 more who just become "okay".

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
For every big man who puts it together there are 3 more who don't and 2 more who just become "okay".
This is so true, and seems to be especially true of big men.  I'd be interested to see an analysis of the successes and failures and the perceived causes.  i.e. How do we decide between WCS, Darkari Johnson, etc.  Do we just "take swings" and rely on (Ainge's) intuition?

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

I haven't watched any of his game but is he really as good as advertised? I just remember when JaVale McGee came out after his first year and similar hype surrounded him. Aside from his bone headed play sometimes, wouldn't they be similar? Over 7 footer who swats everything and can rebound.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

I haven't watched any of his game but is he really as good as advertised? I just remember when JaVale McGee came out after his first year and similar hype surrounded him. Aside from his bone headed play sometimes, wouldn't they be similar? Over 7 footer who swats everything and can rebound.

Yes, I think so. I think he is incredible.

Gobert is not just a stat-padder like a McGee. Someone who gets blocks but doesn't effect overall defense much. Gobert transforms Utah's defense when he is out on the floor.

It is nothing like someone like JaVale McGee. Watching the games, you could see McGee was running around the court like a headless chicken. That he had really bad defensive fundamentals. That he was frequently out of position and unable to challenge the play correctly. That his elite size and athleticism was bailing him out on plays where he was out of position. McGee would make some great defensive plays but he also was making a huge number of terrible defensive mistakes that wiped out most of his good efforts.

When Utah had Gobert and Favors (strong defensive PF) starting together while Kanter was injured, they looked to be one of the best defensive teams in the league. On the season, Utah is a bottom 5 defense (in terms of defensive efficiency). The is a huge difference. Night and day.

When it is just Gobert, minus Favors, it is a huge difference to Utah's interior defense. A vastly superior defender to Favors at center position (Favors middle of pack defensive C). He cannot overcome all the weak defenders that usually play around him in the 2nd unit but you can see the number of defensive plays he is making and how much worse it would be if Gobert wasn't there.

I think Gobert changes more shots around the basket than any other player in the league right now. It is not just the ones he blocks. It is the number of shots he challenges and alters around the basket. It is the number of plays where guys will refuse to even challenge him because they are so intimidated by him. It is an incredible sight.

Offensively, Gobert is nothing more than a garbage man ... but his defense is extraordinary and his rebounding is very strong.

Gobert is nothing like that. He has good positioning and discipline on defense to go along with his elite size and strong athleticism. Gobert understands his purpose while on the court and is committed to being a defensive stopper.

If you look at Utah's on/off defensive stats, Utah allow 116.4 points per possession when Gobert is off the court and only 105.7 points per possession when Gobert is on the floor. A huge difference. A trans-formative defensive presence.

There are still things he can improve on. Not a finished product yet defensively. Positioning is more good than great and he still needs to improve his physical strength. Playing against the most physical muscular centers (like Dwight Howard) is still hard for him. I am optimistic those are things that Gobert can improve because (1) he is so young (2) it looks like he really enjoys playing defense (3) major progress / improvement he has made from year one to year two.

Next Dikembe Mutombo.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:51:47 PM by Who »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

The stifle tower is going to make your life hard around the rim.
footwork continues to get better.
Although not as tall, this is a guy that gets Willy Causey Stein fans excited about defensive instincts and athletic insanity mixed with freakish length and potential on offense.

It's kinda funny to read about some of the hype beginning to surround Gobert, considering the fact that around draft time I remember reading about a couple GMs who said something to the extent of:

I wouldn't go anywhere near Rudy Gobert-- (citing his extremely slim frame and lack of leaping ability.)

It's funny how some of these GMs make such definitive statements, and then end up being so, so wrong. I know in some cases it's just posturing, but still...

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
He'd be a great asset for a team that already has the offensive pieces to the puzzle.  Never going to be a guy who you give the ball to on the block and just let him do work - I just don't see the tools there.   

That said, I'd like to see him watch Tyson Chandler on offense.  Chandler is nothing more than a garbage man when it comes to scoring his own points, but he crushes guards on screens and will generate a lot of offense for his teammates.  He was a major reason why the Knicks' Felton went off on us in the playoffs a few years ago.  Proof that a big can still be an offensive asset even if he's not a scorer himself.  That's what Gobert needs to work on next.

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
I would not rule out his offense just yet he is shooting 618%. he is taking four shots a game. If we let him take eight or so.gave him the shots he needs to develop his offensive game. I would give up olynyk and a pick for him.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson