Author Topic: Pacers’ Hibbert Plans to Speak Up  (Read 6749 times)

Re: Pacers’ Hibbert Plans to Speak Up
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Welp they lost this game, so they lost the entire series.

Wait...  ???

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If George Hill gives up his dribble one more time, I'm going to break every bone in his right to make sure he learns how to dribble with his left.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Anything's better than an open layup.

This is what it boils down to. Challenge the layup, or force him into a tough midrange shot, or force him to pass to a guy out on the three-point line—all of these options would be lower-percentage risks than an open layup.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Welp they lost this game, so they lost the entire series.

Wait...  ???
It's the Miami Heat. It was there best shot to turn it into a real series. Miami will come out better and probably beat them in 5-6.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Sam Young couldn't get there in time, why does anyone think Hibbert could have?

I don't know, while Sam Young may not be in position to take a charge, I think he's in a position to challenge the shot, but didn't jump (probably for fear of fouling, plus he's not really the guy to block/stop/challenge LeBron).  Young's right in the middle of the charge circle, only taking one step from where he was.

Hibbert in the same position (if he's in the game and doesn't switch) with an out stretched arm and actually jumping, would have a good chance of challenging it I would think.

Now if you don't think Hibbert would have been there, that's another argument, but Hibbert in the exact same place as Sam Young has a chance of challenging the shot I'd think, no?  Or big disagreement there?
I don't think Hibbert is where Young is when Lebron gets close unless he just totally ignores Bosh (which means Bosh gets the inbounds and takes the jumper right then).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Hibbert can actually make some 3s so if you're not going ultra-small he's a plausible option.

Hibbert is 4-15 lifetime on threes.

Doesn't matter.

11/14/09 Miss (Pacers down 7) - 11 seconds left in shot clock
12/21/09 Miss (Pacers up 7) - 0 seconds left in quarter
01/09/10 Miss (Pacers down 2) - 0 seconds left in shot clock
04/12/10 Make (Pacers down 23) - 0 seconds left in quarter
04/12/10 Make (Pacers down 22) - 3 seconds left in quarter
11/03/10 Miss (Pacers down 19) - 0 seconds left in shot clock, 44 feet away
12/15/10 Miss (Pacers down 22) - 0 seconds left in shot clock, blocked
03/18/11 Miss (Pacers up 5) - 0 seconds left in shot clock
04/03/11 Miss (Pacers down 8 ) - 0 seconds left in quarter, 71 feet away
02/04/12 Miss (Pacers down 3) - 0 seconds left in shot clock
05/22/12 Make (Pacers down 5) - 0 seconds left in shot clock
12/01/12 Miss (Pacers down 7) - 0 seconds left in half, 47 feet away
02/06/13 Miss (Pacers up 19) - 0 seconds left in shot clock
03/10/13 Miss (Pacers down 6) - 0 seconds left in shot clock, 35 feet away
03/15/13 Make (Pacers up 1) - 5 seconds left in shot clock

Is anyone really gonna judge his three-point shooting by the above? I've seen more optimal shooting times and distances, for sure.

And stats can go in the garbage when it's crunch time.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbPeSoMJ3Y
He can shoot the ball.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Would you ever run a play that intends to free up Hibbert to take a 3?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 07:56:51 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
All alone, (LeBron) James pushed past Paul George for the winning basket. All alone, James lay the ball off the backboard and into the net. Twice in the final 10.8 seconds of a 103-102 overtime loss, Vogel yanked center Roy Hibbert out of the game. Twice, James beat the Pacers on drives to the rim for layups. Twice, the NBA’s Most Valuable Player found no resistance awaiting him the rim.

“I’ve grown as a player, this is my fifth year and maybe I need to start talking up more,” Hibbert told Yahoo! Sports in the losing locker room. “They pay me [max-contract money] for a reason.

“I didn’t say anything, and I wish I did. From now on, I need to speak up.”

via Adrian Wojnarowski of YAHOO! Sports

Wish he spoke up after the first time they got burned ...

I love it when NBA players decide to buckle down in the playoffs and ... talk.

Second-guessing the coach publicly during the ECF?

Wow.  This is what happens when talent exceeds experience/maturity.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Would you ever run a play that intends to free up Hibbert to take a 3?

Who cares what I would do? John Thompson III would.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Just terrible initial D on LeBron, it's as simple as that. Sure, part of it was LeBron was taking advantage of that but he didn't do anything spectacular that Melo, PP, Kobe and ANY other good player couldn't do in that situation. So, I'll give him credit for it but it was too easy and more blame has to be given than credit to him!

I don't care what anyone says, I would rather a player have to pass out to another player than have free lane to the rim. So many things can go wrong on a pass out (especially with 2.2 secs left)... your pass could be off, person could miss the shot, the shot can get off late, pass can be stolen/tipped, ANY number of things could happen! Make Bosh hit a contested jumper, make Ray hit a 3 (as good as he is not even he hits ALL of the clutch baskets), make anyone else HAVE TO SHOOT, even Lebron! Even if Hibbert has to foul Lebroid, you take your chances on him making them... personally, I thought Lebron was tired, he is known to be a little shaky on FTs the longer the game wears on b/c he has to do so much and is usually tired. He had to play a lot, I think he at least misses one ft in that situation and Pacers get dbl OT. I mean, Wade AND Ray even missed fts near the end of the game. All I know is I take ANYTHING over that easy drive!

If Hibbert is going to speak up, he needs to speak to George for the garbage position! It was over b4 the ball was inbounded!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Just terrible initial D on LeBron, it's as simple as that. Sure, part of it was LeBron was taking advantage of that but he didn't do anything spectacular that Melo, PP, Kobe and ANY other good player couldn't do in that situation. So, I'll give him credit for it but it was too easy and more blame has to be given than credit to him!

I don't care what anyone says, I would rather a player have to pass out to another player than have free lane to the rim. So many things can go wrong on a pass out (especially with 2.2 secs left)... your pass could be off, person could miss the shot, the shot can get off late, pass can be stolen/tipped, ANY number of things could happen! Make Bosh hit a contested jumper, make Ray hit a 3 (as good as he is not even he hits ALL of the clutch baskets), make anyone else HAVE TO SHOOT, even Lebron! Even if Hibbert has to foul Lebroid, you take your chances on him making them... personally, I thought Lebron was tired, he is known to be a little shaky on FTs the longer the game wears on b/c he has to do so much and is usually tired. He had to play a lot, I think he at least misses one ft in that situation and Pacers get dbl OT. I mean, Wade AND Ray even missed fts near the end of the game. All I know is I take ANYTHING over that easy drive!

If Hibbert is going to speak up, he needs to speak to George for the garbage position! It was over b4 the ball was inbounded!

Agree on the play.  Nothing any player/team can really be expected to do to stop the basket after Lebron beats his man straight up.  At that point, it's 5-on-4, with Lebron within 15ft of the hoop and closing fast and hard with thte ball.  There is no better player in the world in that situation.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
with Hibbert in the game, imho, LeBron never even tries to go to the rim, so the article is a real disaster. With Hibbert in, Lebron probably shoots a pull up jumper, or drives and penetrates. With Hibbert on the bench, LeBron knows he is going to drive to the rim and take a shot.

Not what you want him to do.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Just terrible initial D on LeBron

What initial D?   :D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
with Hibbert in the game, imho, LeBron never even tries to go to the rim, so the article is a real disaster. With Hibbert in, Lebron probably shoots a pull up jumper, or drives and penetrates. With Hibbert on the bench, LeBron knows he is going to drive to the rim and take a shot.

Not what you want him to do.

Oh yeah, and Wade wasn't in the game, as the writer points out. So Ladies and Gentleman, what do you think LeBron is going to do? Vogel is an nba coach. But he apparently did not know LeBron would go to the rim ESPECIALLY since Wade was out and DOUBLY SO since Hibbert was on the bench.

Unreal. Unbelievable. Unforgiveable

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If your going to speak up speak up, but don't share it with the press.