Author Topic: anyone else growing tired of the NBA??  (Read 6918 times)

anyone else growing tired of the NBA??
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 371
win or lose i just want to watch a good/competitive basketball game...what I saw tonight was some of the worst/most biased officiating i have ever seen.

you almost knew once you saw how stuff was being called that the celtics were going to lose..I guess thats why I'm not so upset over this loss.

anytime the c's were going on a run you KNEW something was going to be called on the other end to stifle any momentum.

David stern is ruining the game of basketball and turning it into the WWE where you almost know who is going to win

NBA officiating is probably the worst in all of sports. something needs to change because I think people are losing interest because it just comes off as fake.

the day Stern steps down as comissioner will be a great day for basketball

Re: anyone else growing tired of the NBA??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
even if we won, i would have felt disgusted at the calls and it wouldnt feel like a legitimate win if those calls favored us.

i honestly would feel empathy if it was spoelstra getting a tech for "come on eddy"

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:15:51 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
sadly people arent losing interest.

ratings for the NBA are up, and after a lockout no less.

Theres little incentive for any kind of change from the leagues perspective.  The best you can hope for is a Tagliabue/Goodell like changing of the guard that the NFL had, when David Stern retires.

I'd love to boycott the NBA but man, can you live with turning the TV off on your celtics?
Greg

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Theres little incentive for any kind of change from the leagues perspective.  The best you can hope for is a Tagliabue/Goodell like changing of the guard that the NFL had, when David Stern retires.

I'd love to boycott the NBA but man, can you live with turning the TV off on your celtics?

I did. Shut it off mid way through the third when we were down by 4.

I really don't know if I'll watch another game this series.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:46:13 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
NBA is still great. Definitely not tired of watching it, though it is sad to see the end of the Celtics era coming.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:23:44 AM »

Offline Renee2

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
It blows my mind.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I will quit watching as soon as we are out.   It's hard to watch with the refs.   Sometimes it seems like WWE.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

TP. This is all sadly true.

However, on a personal note, many of my friends and acquaintances have either curtailed their watching quite a bit or have stopped watching altogether.

That doesn't bother me so much, but my son (who was 16 at the time and had been following the Cs since he was little) and I shared the whole 2008 experience together, from the Ray Allen trade to the Parade and he was thrilled, and now he's into hockey and the Bs, which I now share with him and not so much into the NBA because of the WWE flavor.

The NBA is more about the spectacle now (lights, smoke, well thought out commercials and vids, like the excelent "BIG" NBA Celtics commercial, cheerleaders/dancers), etc. than it is the game.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would feel worse about the terrible officiating if it somehow changed the outcome of the game not in our favor... We played like horse puckey, again... All the calls in the world wouldnt have changed the outcome of the game for the better last night. We just got outplayed, plain and simple. So yes the officiating is horribly inconsistent, but for me its really a non issue until we can put a good game together and have it be a close one at that.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
If I didn't basically live and die for this team, I would not spend another dime on the NBA or watch another minute of these disgusting showings they call professional basketball.

All I want is a little freaking consistency from one of the floor to the other. When a Heat player gets touched and flops to the ground, its an automatic foul (unless they are up 12). Rondo and PP drove to the hoop all night getting "blocked" or the ball "stripped" or missing what would normally be a make for them without getting ONE trip to the line between them.

I would understand if we weren't getting calls because all we were doing was shooting jumpshots, not being aggressive, etc., but we were going the hoop and nothing was being called.

Again, I would be fine if they were going to let them play and not call much, BUT DO IT ON BOTH ENDS. That is my whole issue. It was completely biased officiating, favoring one team last night and NO ONE can tell me that the refs didn't help this Heat team win that game.

I truly believe, that if the refs hadn't had the gross misconduct they call officiating last night, we would have won that game. We were TIED at halftime after that travesty of a first half by the officials. I don't want to hear "the Ts only gave them 3 points" junk either. It isn't just about the actual points. What probably hurts more is now the entire team has to be more careful; it killed any momentum we had; and the players realized what's going on and I can't help but understand how you could lose focus on the task at hand when these 3 numb skulls are thwarting everything you are trying to do.

I not only want someone to goon either LeBron or Wade, I wouldn't mind seeing Doc send in Sean Williams with the sole mission of spearing a ref. Send a message.

As I said in the chat last night, maybe what we should have done about midway through the 3rd quarter is just concede this Game 1 and simply go to the locker room. Maybe with the embarrassment to the league and the potential financial impact it would have on the dictator, Stern's, pocketbook, maybe something would change.

/end rant/

(Sorry for the length of this post but I am extremely frustrated about last night)     
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:09:45 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I would feel worse about the terrible officiating if it somehow changed the outcome of the game not in our favor... We played like horse puckey, again... All the calls in the world wouldnt have changed the outcome of the game for the better last night. We just got outplayed, plain and simple. So yes the officiating is horribly inconsistent, but for me its really a non issue until we can put a good game together and have it be a close one at that.

It would have been interesting though to see if the game would have been more competitive if not for the refs. I think it would have. There was alot of frustration from the players to the coach. The team could not play defense against Lebron or Wade. By the end of the game they would not have a player left in the game because they would have all fouled out!

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
I think the players react to the poor officiating as well as we fans do. I knew we didn't have much of a chance midway through the 3rd and I suspect the players could sense it as well. When the Heat's opponents have 23 T's in the playoffs and they have 4 you know there is favoritism. The 4 on the Celts were terrible calls.
There were quite a few non-calls that if they were committed on LB or DW they would have been whistled for sure. Miami doubled it's average in blocks, some due to bad decisions by the Celts but some were fouls.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION

I not only want someone to goon either LeBron or Wade, I wouldn't mind seeing Doc send in Sean Williams with the sole mission of spearing a ref. Send a message.

As I said in the chat last night, maybe what we should have done about midway through the 3rd quarter is just concede this Game 1 and simply go to the locker room. Maybe with the embarrassment to the league and the potential financial impact it would have on the dictator, Stern's, pocketbook, maybe something would change.

I was having these same feelings and I can tell you I don't normally think that way. All I could think was if they're going to call things this way then let's give them a real reason to blow their whistles. I half expected Doc to get called for another T just so he could walk off the floor and I'm glad he didn't bite his tongue on calling out just how bad he thought that/those calls were.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Two of the technicals were bad, but I am confused by the sentiment on this board.  Miami committed more fouls than Boston in the game and they both shot almost the same amount of foul shots (which is amazing given the technicals and the amount that Wade and James drive is a heck of a lot more than the amount Boston drives).

You can say it was a poorly officiated game, but it wasn't biased officiating.  It was just bad.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Two of the technicals were bad, but I am confused by the sentiment on this board.  Miami committed more fouls than Boston in the game and they both shot almost the same amount of foul shots (which is amazing given the technicals and the amount that Wade and James drive is a heck of a lot more than the amount Boston drives).

You can say it was a poorly officiated game, but it wasn't biased officiating.  It was just bad.

ok so
-Lebron and Wade don't commit a foul until the mid third quarter

- C's get called for 4 bogus tech any time they gain any momentum

- Miami FINALLY starts getting some fouls called on them in the 4th quarter when they are already up by 15 when the fouls won't do anything in the game except for the refs to say, "see there was almost the same amount of ft's and fouls so you can't complain it's biased".

And then people like you buy this insanity that there is no bias .

. Some people on here seem to think that nothing can ever be the officials fault and you are a bandwagon fan if you so much mention that the refs had any part in the game last night . I get it that the c's didn't play good enough to win , but how do you get in a flow when every time you cut Miami's lead they call a tech on you and immediately kill the momentum?

Also after a while when PP and Rondo are driving to the lane and not getting foul shots it pretty much makes the c's a 100% jump shooting team and we all know you can't have a shot to win like that consistently .