Author Topic: Cleveland still has a 2 major chips to use  (Read 8096 times)

Re: Cleveland still has a 2 major chips to use
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Chris,
Are you talking about the Cavs in your post?  Why would they make a panic move?  Because they are 18-3?

I am talking about the Cavs.  They need to show Lebron that they are serious about winning and putting a good team around him, so he will stick around in a couple years.  If they just let those contracts expire, rather than trying to go all out for a championship, then it will definitely be sending him the wrong message. 

I think the 18-3 start while Lebron plays 35 minutes a game gets the message across to him.  The Cavs are in great position to win a championship with Boston being the only team in their way in the east.

You need to get your thoughts away from the 2006, early 2007 Cavs and look at who they are now.  Have you forgotten that the Cavs were a missed 4 foot jumper away (Lebron, Gale 1) from beating the Celtics in the playoffs last year?

Ferry made some rush moves when he first got here because he had to but he has completely turned this roster around.  

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Chris,
Are you talking about the Cavs in your post?  Why would they make a panic move?  Because they are 18-3?

I am talking about the Cavs.  They need to show Lebron that they are serious about winning and putting a good team around him, so he will stick around in a couple years.  If they just let those contracts expire, rather than trying to go all out for a championship, then it will definitely be sending him the wrong message. 

i agree...

they are still looking UP to the celtics and will feel some pressure to make a move to prove they are serious at winning a title AND keeping 'bron happy.  and in the process they'll be tempted to do something stupid.

trade deadline day should be interesting this year...i'll be curious to see if either danny ainge or danny ferry blinks.  ainge has no pressure, but ferry will be feeling the heat because they have to keep The King happy...

Yeah, the King looks really upset this year.  Have you watched him?  Joking around, dancing on the sidelines, getting the whole 4th quarter to rest.  He celebrates every great play by the second team.  Yeah, I think he wants out as quickly as possible

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
t-wack is terriblly overrated.  he is soft, injury prone, and has shown time and time again he cant get out of the first round of the playoffs.  if cleveland wants to make a move, they should do it with a player that isnt hurt so much and is more reliable.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Chris,

I think the 18-3 start while Lebron plays 35 minutes a game gets the message across to him.  The Cavs are in great position to win a championship with Boston being the only team in their way in the east.

You need to get your thoughts away from the 2006, early 2007 Cavs and look at who they are now.  Have you forgotten that the Cavs were a missed 4 foot jumper away (Lebron, Gale 1) from beating the Celtics in the playoffs last year?

Ferry made some rush moves when he first got here because he had to but he has completely turned this roster around. 

I think you are misunderstanding.  I am not saying they are going to make a move like that because they are desperate for it.  I am saying they will make a move because they are in a prime position to compete for a title, and letting assets like that expire would not be doing everything they could to win.  And that in turn would send the wrong message to Lebron.

I will admit though, that I think the Cavs are a little overrated at the moment.  I think they are very similar to where they were in the playoffs last year (which was a completely different team than they were in the regular season).  They are clearly one of the top 3 teams in the league (and if you ask the C's, they will tell you they were the toughest team they faced in the playoffs), but the Celtics and Lakers are way too good for them to just sit back and let those contracts expire, when they could turn them into players that could concievably help them.

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
I think you are misunderstanding.  I am not saying they are going to make a move like that because they are desperate for it.  I am saying they will make a move because they are in a prime position to compete for a title, and letting assets like that expire would not be doing everything they could to win.  And that in turn would send the wrong message to Lebron.

I will admit though, that I think the Cavs are a little overrated at the moment.  I think they are very similar to where they were in the playoffs last year (which was a completely different team than they were in the regular season).  They are clearly one of the top 3 teams in the league (and if you ask the C's, they will tell you they were the toughest team they faced in the playoffs), but the Celtics and Lakers are way too good for them to just sit back and let those contracts expire, when they could turn them into players that could concievably help them.

I see where you are coming from, but they have already stated they aren't going to trade unless they really believe the player is going to help the team.  Wally is playing a very important role this year and playing it well.  I don't think Ferry makes a bad trade.  His last 2 trades have been great for the team.

So who guards Lebron in the playoffs this year when Pierce needs a break?

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I see where you are coming from, but they have already stated they aren't going to trade unless they really believe the player is going to help the team.  Wally is playing a very important role this year and playing it well.  I don't think Ferry makes a bad trade.  His last 2 trades have been great for the team.

Well, I disagree that the last two trades were great for the team...but we will have to wait for the playoffs to argue that one out (I think losing Joe Smith is going to really hurt them come playoff time).

But I certainly understand that Ferry has been saying that...I just don't believe a word of it.  We will just have to wait and see, but I would be shocked if they do not make one more move using one of the expiring contracts.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

ask me once the vet buyouts happen. I very much doubt this is the bench that goes into the playoffs, just as i doubt the cavs stand pat.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

Offline DimpusBurger

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Artest is probably a better fit for the cavs than T-Mac.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Thanks Andy, You are the only one that actually answered the question instead of just smashing me for my T-mac idea like everyone else. :)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
I think Joe Smith gets bought out and comes back to Cleveland.

Losing Joe Smith to gain Mo Williams is acceptable.  The Cavs had no one to run the point.

To answer Jsaad's question.....Chris Kaman

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think Joe Smith gets bought out and comes back to Cleveland.

Losing Joe Smith to gain Mo Williams is acceptable.  The Cavs had no one to run the point.

To answer Jsaad's question.....Chris Kaman

Absolutely a possibility.  Although there are plenty of C's fans who feel like he will end up coming here if bought out(relationship with KG...and blatant homerism ;)

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think Smith if bought out comes to Boston. Friends with KG, chance to win a ring and play a bigger role than in Cleveland.

I think the Cavs might target Antwan Jamison.

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm sorry  but i think it's ridiculous to entertain the idea that the cavs won't use that money. it's gonna be someone REALLY GOOD. i don't know if it would be vince carter but wow for them if it is. chris kaman? yikes. these guys are the level of talent they're gonna be adding. i don't think wally is providing sucha a key role. he is arguably the worst defender in the nba at any position. the cavs won't hesitate in trading wally, c'mon.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The main problem with Cleveland is that they are in a financial hole. It'll be very hard for them to pick up huge contracts as they are. I'm willing to bet that management in some form of another would gladly accept the expiring contracts to alliviate some of those financials.

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The main problem with Cleveland is that they are in a financial hole. It'll be very hard for them to pick up huge contracts as they are. I'm willing to bet that management in some form of another would gladly accept the expiring contracts to alliviate some of those financials.
I keep expecting that to happen too but they keep on doling out the money for players. Ownership over there has talked a good game about winning a championship and taking on the contracts to make that happen, and so far they've lived up to everything they've said. I think they'll take back more contracts as long as they think their title chances improve.

I think they may hold onto Eric Snow's contract though. Haven't they applied for medical retirement? He's probably off the table.