Author Topic: Cleveland still has a 2 major chips to use  (Read 8099 times)

Cleveland still has a 2 major chips to use
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
1. Eric Snow is expiring for 7 million
2. Wally world is expiring for 13 million

That's 20 million is expiring contracts that can be used before the deadline.

If you are Danny Ferry who do you target?

Me? I go after Tmac with everything. There have been reports through the Houston chronicle that the relationship is not very strong between the Rockets and TMac and they may look to move on.

Wally, Delonte and a 1st round pick.

Wally is for expiration allowing the Rockets to resign Artest while avoiding the LT, and Delonte gives much needed PG help as he can play both guard positions for good value. The pick is the cherry on top.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Cleveland still has a 2 major chips to use
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't like that from Cleveland's viewpoint. Its worth exploring depending on the rest of the market but McGrady has been banged up and largely ineffective this year. Plus he is still owed a lot of money.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I don't like that from Cleveland's viewpoint. Its worth exploring depending on the rest of the market but McGrady has been banged up and largely ineffective this year. Plus he is still owed a lot of money.

It's worth a shot to side him with LB isn't it? plus Tmac is set to expire in 2010. It's perfect.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It's worth a shot to side him with LB isn't it? plus Tmac is set to expire in 2010. It's perfect.
Contract wise it lines up with exactly what you want. But I'm not sure it is the best fit on the court. If T-Mac hadn't been battling lots of injuries this entire season so far I would think better of it.

Right now I don't think the Rockets would do it though. The only way it happens is if they're out of the playoff picture. The west is too tough to trade McGrady for Delonte/Wally and sitll make the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
t-wack is terriblly overrated.  he is soft, injury prone, and has shown time and time again he cant get out of the first round of the playoffs.  if cleveland wants to make a move, they should do it with a player that isnt hurt so much and is more reliable.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:40:54 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the name that's been bandied about (for some time) has been vince carter...

...so i guess we should keep an eye on whether that gets any teeth down the stretch.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm not completely sold that Cleveland will trade for a big name. It is likely they will make a move to bring in another player but they already have a huge payroll, do they want to add more?

I don't think they'll do anything to mess with their flexibility in 2010 so that eliminates a lot of potential deals.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't see Houston doing it.  Houston doesn't want cap relief, Houston wants to win.  If Houston trades T-Mac, it's going to be for someone who can play, not Wally.
do it

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Why would Houston want to break up the Artest-Yao-T-Mac trio this early? From Houston's standpoint it doesn't make any sense.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is exactly the type of move I expect them to make, when they realize they aren't going to get one of prizes out there (Marion, Carter, Boozer, Redd).  They will end up throwing everything at an injury-prone player who may have been good at one point, but is no longer very dangerous. 

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Not a chance they get TMac.

Snow probably won't be traded.  The team wants him to be able to medically retire so they can get his salary off the books.  Gilbert could use some cap relief.

These next couple weeks will be interesting with Gibson and Z hurt.  The cavs will get a good glimpse at how life is with one of their big men down.

If they trade this year, it will be for a big man.  Delonte fits perfectly in the Cavs system

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Chris,
Are you talking about the Cavs in your post?  Why would they make a panic move?  Because they are 18-3?

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I don't think T-Mac is a great fit for the Cavs and the Rockets wouldn't part with him anyways, the Cavs need someone who complements Lebron, not someone who plays a similar game. If they are going to make a deal it would be for a low post presence to add another element to their offense, believe it or not they already have a spot up shooter with Wally.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Chris,
Are you talking about the Cavs in your post?  Why would they make a panic move?  Because they are 18-3?

I am talking about the Cavs.  They need to show Lebron that they are serious about winning and putting a good team around him, so he will stick around in a couple years.  If they just let those contracts expire, rather than trying to go all out for a championship, then it will definitely be sending him the wrong message. 

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Chris,

I am talking about the Cavs.  They need to show Lebron that they are serious about winning and putting a good team around him, so he will stick around in a couple years.  If they just let those contracts expire, rather than trying to go all out for a championship, then it will definitely be sending him the wrong message. 

i agree...

they are still looking UP to the celtics and will feel some pressure to make a move to prove they are serious at winning a title AND keeping 'bron happy.  and in the process they'll be tempted to do something stupid.

trade deadline day should be interesting this year...i'll be curious to see if either danny ainge or danny ferry blinks.  ainge has no pressure, but ferry will be feeling the heat because they have to keep The King happy...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."