Author Topic: How do YOU pick All Stars?  (Read 4478 times)

Re: How do YOU pick All Stars?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
All Star game is a show and I think should be more based on individual than team.

50% player overall abilities
25% stats
25% team record

For All NBA/MVP Type votes

50% player overall abilities
35% team success
15% stats

There is a natural correlation between 'player overall abilities' and stats, but not enough to make them one category.  See: Garnett, Kevin; Duncan, Tim; Rondo, Rajon.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: How do YOU pick All Stars?
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How do YOU pick All Stars?  Do you pick all Celtics (or former Celtics) or do you pick the most deserving players based on an objective analysis of the NBA, even if it means picking a hated rival like LeBron?

I do a little of both and because you are allowed to vote every day, I change up my strategy.  As a UConn fan, I tend to pick players from that school.  I also tend to pick players that won't guaranteed voted in as starters.

For example, I think that KG is totally deserving of starting, but recognize that so does half the world.  So instead, I vote for Caron Butler, who won't get nearly as many votes.  For some picks I am a blind Celtics supporter, like for Rondo at PG even though others may be more deserving (although he should be an all-star).  On the other hand, I don't usually vote for Perkins because I don't think he is there yet.  But I also won't vote for Dwight Howard because he is a shoo-in.

Out West it is a little different because I have less history with those players.  There my rule is "don't pick players you hate" as much as it is picking players that deserve it.  So my West picks fluctuate.

I just did today's voting and this is how it looks:
East: Rondo, Ray Allen, Pierce, Caron Butler, Okafor
West: Tony Parker, Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Duncan, Andris Biedrins

Who knows how it will look tomorrow.

If KG comes in 3rd in voting, it's your fault.

Why refuse to vote for "shoo-ins"? There is no consolation prize for being voted 3rd. Coaches don't care how many votes players received when picking the bench. Does Caron have incentives in his contract that kick in if he gets a certain number of votes?

I want to see KG get more votes than Lebron. I also don't want to see China vote in Yi over KG.

I vote straight Celtics, and I really don't care about the west.