Author Topic: Richardson to PHX  (Read 8777 times)

Re: Richardson to PHX
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 08:57:54 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
This team basically completes Phoenix' transition from an up tempo team to a half court team.

The key to the deal is Diaw.  If he plays up to his potential this trade is a big win for Charlotte.  That's a big "if" however. 

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This team basically completes Phoenix' transition from an up tempo team to a half court team.

?  Richardson was a huge part of the uptempo Golden State teams of a couple years back, he's a great transition scorer and a very good 3 pt shooter, both qualities Phoenix has been missing on offense since they lost Marion.  If anything, I'd say this indicates a shift back from Porter's original philosophy toward more of their old running style.  Top it off with Dudley and the Suns don't even really lose any depth, though they still have a gaping hole at backup PG.  And a 2nd rd pick from Charlotte will probably be high enough to potentially get a role player in a couple of years, though that won't matter to this team.

Diaw is so soft I'm surprised he's not wearing purple and gold - he busted his butt for one season when Amare was hurt, signed a huge contract and immediately started gaining weight and shying from contact.  Bell is a hard nosed guy but was clearly starting to decline last season and this season.  Singletary might be ok, but the Bobcats already have 2 PGs - unless they trade Felton he won't be getting much time.

The Suns were my surrogate team for those awful Celtics seasons in the middle of the decade - I watched them play more than any other team (no League Pass meant I basically never got to see the C's play), and I love this trade for Phoenix, though I don't think it gets them a title, or even to the Finals, it helps their chances in both.  From the way they played against the Lakers without any of the above or Shaq, I'd say they're feeling pretty good about the move too.

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The key to the deal is Diaw.  If he plays up to his potential this trade is a big win for Charlotte.  That's a big "if" however. 

Yeah, that really will be the key.  If he plays like he has the last two years, it is a major loss for Charlotte, who trade away by far the best player, and take on the worst contract, valuewise (Richardson's is for more money, but Diaw's is nearly as big, longer, and he doesn't produce as much). 

This is yet another head scratcher for Charlotte, who consistently make trades and moves that simply don't make much sense in any way unless it is simply that "MJ has a feeling".

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If there was ever a perfect player for Larry Brown, it's Diaw.  Bell fits in well, too.  This is a great trade for both teams.

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, Richardson is no prize either.  He's selfish and loafs on defense.  He thinks he's better than he is.

If Richardson suddenly "gets it" this trade could be a win for Phoenix. But that "if" is just as big as the one associated with Diaw.

While some may view Jared Dudly as a throw-in he's an effective and fundamentally sound player who will do alot to improve the Suns' second unit. IMHO he's an important element to the deal.

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, Richardson is no prize either.  He's selfish and loafs on defense.  He thinks he's better than he is.

If Richardson suddenly "gets it" this trade could be a win for Phoenix. But that "if" is just as big as the one associated with Diaw.

While some may view Jared Dudly as a throw-in he's an effective and fundamentally sound player who will do alot to improve the Suns' second unit. IMHO he's an important element to the deal.

I agree about Dudley.  I think he could end up being very effective in Phoenix. 

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Selfishly, I'm glad to Richardson off to the west.  He was a pain in the butt against the Celts.  I like the guy and hope he can do well with a winning team - it's always interesting to see what a scorer  does when he's finally put in a place where some level team success is expected.
Yup

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I heard today over the radio that Juwan Howard may be signing with the Bobcats soon.