Author Topic: New Piston lineup  (Read 7520 times)

Re: New Piston lineup
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Detroit didn't play Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson or Kwame Brown against Washington. Wow.

wow maxiell is really turning into a disappointment,,,4th yr and no signs of improvement
They shouldn't have signed Maxiell or Kwame to those contracts. Imagine having that extra $10mil in free agency this summer?

Joe D has been too concerned with his supporting cast
To be fair those two contracts make sense if not for the Billups trade. Keep a young big whom you think will improve for cheap and get a veteran big for defense. The problem is without Billups it doesn't look like they'll be a contender so that is just wasted cap space.

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Detroit didn't play Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson or Kwame Brown against Washington. Wow.

wow maxiell is really turning into a disappointment,,,4th yr and no signs of improvement
They shouldn't have signed Maxiell or Kwame to those contracts. Imagine having that extra $10mil in free agency this summer?

To be fair those two contracts make sense if not for the Billups trade. Keep a young big whom you think will improve for cheap and get a veteran big for defense. The problem is without Billups it doesn't look like they'll be a contender so that is just wasted cap space.
They didn't need to trade Billups to get cap space. They could have traded McDyess, and not signed those two contracts, and had enough money to offer a max contract (or close to it) this summer. The contracts were suspect before the Iverson trade.

This opportunity existed before the trade, and it was clear before last season even ended. Those two contracts hurt their flexibility and made them take a different route.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

They didn't need to trade Billups to get cap space. They could have traded McDyess, and not signed those two contracts, and had enough money to offer a max contract (or close to it) this summer. The contracts were suspect before the Iverson trade.

This opportunity existed before the trade, and it was clear before last season even ended. Those two contracts hurt their flexibility and made them take a different route.

But Maxiell didn't sign the extension, did he?

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Signing Kwame Brown for 8 million over 2 years was a bad signing. Dumars has made some poor moves recently.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Did he not? I thought Maxiell signed it at the end of the day.

Yes, I checked on it. He signed for $20mil over 4 years on the final day of October.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pistons-maxiell&prov=ap&type=lgns

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
AI's playing style never meshes with other offensive superstars. The Nuggets are 14-4 since he left and the Pistons are 8-9.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yes, I checked on it. He signed for $20mil over 4 years on the final day of October.

Maxiell has been a disappointment this year, but I understand the signing. Young big men whom you can lock up long term can pay huge dividends when they pan out. I mean look at Perkins for us! Young free agent centers of moderate to poor quality still command the full MLE from teams.

Brown, now that one I'm less inclined to give a pass on.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
AI's playing style never meshes with other offensive superstars. The Nuggets are 14-4 since he left and the Pistons are 8-9.
Well the Nuggets were a terrible fit for Iverson. They had a ton of talented offensive players already. The didn't need AI to take away shots from their already efficient shooters. That team is finally showing its potential with a true point. How far will they go? I still have my doubts they'll get out of the first round.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Ah, thanks for the info, I thought he had refused that offer and the salary site I checked isn't updated. It was wise of him to accept it.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Maxiell has been a disappointment this year, but I understand the signing. Young big men whom you can lock up long term can pay huge dividends when they pan out. I mean look at Perkins for us! Young free agent centers of moderate to poor quality still command the full MLE from teams.

Brown, now that one I'm less inclined to give a pass on.
Yes I agree there was some virtue to the signing of Maxiell, and even Brown to a lesser extent. I just didn't like the idea of doling out $10mil on two role players instead of using the money to acquire a high level talent. The Pistons badly needed an infusion of younger high level talent to replace guys like Wallace (or let Wallace take a smaller role).

I thought it was bad use of the opportunity they had in front of him. Still, they found another way to re-open (and extend) that opportunity by dealing Billups.

It was the Pistons situation rather than the player+contract. I felt a better opportunity was available by not signing them. Maxiell is good at that money, and he's still improving so solid upside there. My issue wasn't about him, it was about Rasheed Wallace and the Pistons core.

I didn't like Joe D worrying about his role players instead of the core of his team which had slipped (and would slip further in next year or two) and needed more talent to get back to the top.