Author Topic: New Piston lineup  (Read 7518 times)

New Piston lineup
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What the heck is going on in Detroit? I surfed over to DBB while procrastinating some work for school and I see this.

I really don't see how this can work other than as a change of pace for a few minutes a game. Prince and Hamilton expose themselves to being taken down low a lot. Additionally they will get killed on the boards.

Going small as a starting line up seems desperate. Especially when they have four bigs who they've played quite a bit this year. (Amir Johnson, Jason Maxiel, Sheed, Kwame Brown)

Re: New Piston lineup
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Nothing else is working for them they may as well run with this. I think it's a good move for them.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
because they don't have the stones to do what should be done, telling AI or rip "hey, welcome to being our 6th man, your both SG's and neither of you plays the point"

This way they can make prince, a actual team player, the 6th man, and he won't gripe since he's a true pro (Editors note: Prince is the only piston i remotley respect, so he's like a semi-binky)

but, as you pointed out, it makes them far to small. If they had any stones they'd go

stucky
rip
prince
wallace
amir/brown

and have AI as a great 6th man.

instead they will avoid rocking the ego boat and do this instead. I see it having limited success.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
because they don't have the stones to do what should be done, telling AI or rip "hey, welcome to being our 6th man, your both SG's and neither of you plays the point"

This way they can make prince, a actual team player, the 6th man, and he won't gripe since he's a true pro (Editors note: Prince is the only piston i remotley respect, so he's like a semi-binky)

but, as you pointed out, it makes them far to small. If they had any stones they'd go

stucky
rip
prince
wallace
amir/brown

and have AI as a great 6th man.

instead they will avoid rocking the ego boat and do this instead. I see it having limited success.

Stuckey is no more a pointguard than AI.  I think they really messed up by sending the heart and soul (not to mention the brains) of their team to Denver.  Right now, they are missing a true floor leader, and since their team is built around passing and teamwork, its just not working out.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
But right now they seem to be going with Prince at the 4 rather than off the bench.

I think you are absolutely right that AI should come off the bench. I doubt his ego will allow that move, or even if forced upon him allow him to be effective in that role.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
But right now they seem to be going with Prince at the 4 rather than off the bench.

I think you are absolutely right that AI should come off the bench. I doubt his ego will allow that move, or even if forced upon him allow him to be effective in that role.

oh wow, i didnt think they were that crazy, to play prince at the 4 against guys like bosh, KG, horford ect. is even dumber than i thought they were.

hurts rip even more to. good luck with lebron and pierce rip.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
This is a very strange decision, I can't see it lasting.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'm interested in seeing how this one plays out.

That's their five best players and it's also their best lineup so I think that group will be successful. But it will put a major strain on the bench which has previously been a huge strength for the Pistons. It also limits the effectiveness of their big men, where they have 5 solid-good players, which again is bad.

While it's their best lineup, I'm not sure it should be their starting lineup.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think they'll be able to pull it off. They might be thin, but overall they have length, and most are good team defenders.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think they'll be able to pull it off. They might be thin, but overall they have length, and most are good team defenders.
If it results in just cutting Kwame's minutes down maybe it works out in the end. I just don't see them successfully running a small line-up. They'll have to run run run rather than play half-court ball, and I still think they'll get killed on the boards.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Another case of Kwame given a starting job and playing himself out of it...

Now that Dice is back, I would expect him to start along side Sheed.  From what I have seen, Rip is the one that should be taken out of the lineup.  His game has evaporated since CB left, he just isn't playing hard any more. 

Stuckey
AI
Prince
Sheed
Dice

Is a solid lineup; they seem built for the playoffs but not so much the regular season.  I expect them to struggle their way to a 5-7 seed and then promptly upset someone in the first round. 

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 09:45:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Update:

Detroit after going up by 15 in the first quarter went on to lose by 13 in Washington. Both teams shot around 50%, Washington got 5 more rebounds, and got to the line 17 more times than the Pistons.

Wow, they've been so good for so long. It is weird to seem them playing .500 basketball.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Detroit didn't play Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson or Kwame Brown against Washington. Wow.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:23:02 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Detroit didn't play Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson or Kwame Brown against Washington. Wow.

wow maxiell is really turning into a disappointment,,,4th yr and no signs of improvement
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

wow maxiell is really turning into a disappointment,,,4th yr and no signs of improvement
They shouldn't have signed Maxiell or Kwame to those contracts. Imagine having that extra $10mil in free agency this summer?

Joe D has been too concerned with his supporting cast