Author Topic: McHale to coach?  (Read 5590 times)

McHale to coach?
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3753352

Seems like a desperation move - McHale is no Popovich as a GM and will certainly be no Popovich as a coach/GM.  Seems more like an Isiah "you broke it, you bought it" kind of situation.

Re: McHale to coach?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
He's done it before...If it is a desperation move move then it's an appropriate time to do it.  They're pretty desperate.  Losing by 20-something at home to the Clippers?  uggggly
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
mchale has destroyed that franchise...the coach is irrelevant.

he ought to head to Hibbing and live in a fishing boat.

trading for kevin love was the final nail in his self-constructed coffin.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Sounds like the owners are pulling an Oscar Rogers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3uxqwTxk0

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't think Wittman did a good job.  He deserved to be fired.

Having said that, the Wolves have serious issues at pg.  Foye is not the guy, and Telfair isn't either.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
mchale has destroyed that franchise...the coach is irrelevant.

he ought to head to Hibbing and live in a fishing boat.

trading for kevin love was the final nail in his self-constructed coffin.

I will say this about the Kevin Love trade...there's no way on God's green earth that OJ Mayo was gonna stick around Minnesota after his rookie contract was up.  So it's either rent the talented but selfish Mayo for 3 years, knowing he's probably more concerned with driving up his price tag and landing a better shoe deal than helping your team win, or get a guy you might be able to actually build around long-term, a good shooter and excellent trade chip in Mike Miller, and lose some bad contracts (worse than the ones they picked up) in the process.  Given that there wasn't a clear alternative to Mayo at #3 that would've filled a need better than Love could (maybe B. Lopez, but debatable), I think that's a defensible move. 

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think mchale has made some good picks. You really can't draft mcants and foye who are supposed to have expirience in the nba by now for oj mayo(who is comparable to them plus has a "me" attitude)

Love has been solid so far and we will see (still think they should have drafted brook lopez)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
How McHale has a job is beyond me. He's done a terrible job in the draft. 2003 Ndudi Edi (could have had Josh Howard, Kendrick Perkins or Leandro Barbosa). 2005 he drafts Rashard McCants (could have had Danny Granger, Hakim Warrick, Fransico Garcia or Jason Maxiell). In 2006, he drafts Brandon Roy but trades him for Randy Foye (he also could have picked Rudy Gay, Rondo or Ronny Brewer).

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Happy Wittman is gone, but they still have unfinished cleaning house business as far as I'm concerned...

Don't suppose they'll bring back Dwayne Casey. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
here's the issue i have with mchale (or any other GM)...

if you STAY PUT and draft a player, you can play these "what if" games all day long...he "could have had this guy or that guy" is simply hindsight and EVERY GM falls under that category.

however, if you specifically TRADE for a pick and you specifically TARGETED that player then you are held to a different standard (in my opinion).  he went for love and foye while handing away mayo and roy.

wow...could you now imagine al jefferson growing next to those two players, and adding a few veterans around them to show them the ropes?

this is why mchale should step down...those transactions cannot be called "draft pick luck" - no, he specifically wanted those players and he was obviously wrong.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
It is amazing to me that a player who has been around a winning organization like the Celtics did not pick up on why they won. He has not been a good judge of talent even with high draft picks except obviously for KG.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
He did a horrible job when he had KG, but his last couple years he's been OK, I think. I mean, that was the best package he could have gotten (where are all the people railing on him for not taking Chicago's package of Ty Thomas and Lu Deng at al now?). He was a little late doing it, but even so, he's got some good young pieces now. His biggest mistake of the last few years was Foye/Roy -- you throw Roy in there with Al, Miller, Love...then you've got something. Foye just isn't that good.

As for him coaching...this is just the last stop on his way out of town.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
It's McHale's last hurray in the organization. If he does well, then he stays.  If not, I would assume he will be fired from that job, and the team will move in a different direction.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I disagree with those who say he's done ok over the past few years. He did well on the KG trade but trading Roy for Foye was a mistake. Trading Mayo for Love was a mistake. Drafting Corey Brewer instead of Thad Young, Julian Wright, Al Thorton, Rodney Stuckey or Rudy Fernandez was a mistake. The trade this summer to get Booth and Carney neither of whom are in the rotation was a mistake.