Author Topic: ASG weekend thread  (Read 6866 times)

ASG weekend thread
« on: February 19, 2022, 08:52:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’m watching the Skills Challenge now but may not watch much else though through the weekend.

Cavs have a skilled threesome there.

Re: ASG weekend thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 08:54:31 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm not interested at all anymore.

Feels a bit this year like we got a brand new toy (Theis/White) and then right when we've unwrapped them and started playing with them, they yank 'm away.

Gimme games. I just absolutely loved seeing this team play!

- having said that - we do really really need Smarf and Timelord back pronto.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 11:00:27 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Is this the first Dunk Contest where nobody scored a 50?

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 11:09:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Jesus that dunk contest sucked.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 11:17:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'm not interested at all anymore.

Feels a bit this year like we got a brand new toy (Theis/White) and then right when we've unwrapped them and started playing with them, they yank 'm away.

Gimme games. I just absolutely loved seeing this team play!

- having said that - we do really really need Smarf and Timelord back pronto.

I don't care about the all-star weekend stuff at all, but the break is good timing for our guys as you said. Good for Rob and Smart to recover but also good to give our group more time to integrate White and Theis.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 01:58:07 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The only ASG worth a [dang] is the MLB's. The rest are useless. I'm glad our guys are getting rest and hope JT plays as few minutes as possible and comes back healthy. I won't waste my time watching any of this made-for-TV crap.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 02:18:28 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I was over it 10 years ago---Get off my lawn~!!  :laugh:
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 07:21:50 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The NBA makes such a great spectacle of it with so many former greats in attendance, but the product is horrible.  The dunk contest was pathetic.  I was wishing I could press a button on my remote to give Cole Anthony a shock to make him to get the freaking boots on and get to dunking.  All that dilly dallying for a lame dunk.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 07:45:49 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Haven’t watch in probably 20 years
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 08:12:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Do folks remember when the NBA ASG was actually, um, competitive?  I remember Bird, Jordan and Isaiah as teammates and they played to win, especially in the 2nd half.  A competitor never stops competing. Ah, good old days....

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
It's not even just the NBA All-Star Weekend. Look at some of these other "all-star events" like the NFL Pro Bowl, MLB All Star Game and such. Everyone just seems to sleepwalk through everything and I can't really blame them. You definitely want to avoid serious injury during these kinds of events so why even put full effort.

At some point I kind of think they are better off just naming their Pro Bowls, All-Stars, maybe have another section where you have "Honorable All-Stars" so that even if someone got hurt and couldn't play in the game, someone else can get the "All-Star nod" and be considered an All-Star which actually matters when looking at player accolades and potential contract incentives.

I just don't see why they even hold these games anymore. This isn't like 10 years ago, no one cares and I think for the players and product going forward in seasons, it's better for the players to rehab/rest up.

Maybe their ratings/revenue is very high from these events, idk? But it's not watchable anymore

You're starting to also see this in events like the Olympics too. Superstar players opting out to get rest or make sure they are healthy either when heading into FA or going into the next season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just don't see why they even hold these games anymore.

Maybe their ratings/revenue is very high from these events, idk? But it's not watchable anymore

I think you answered your own question.  TV ratings, ticket sales, merchandise sales.  It brings in revenue while creating some outside attention for the league during the boring spot in its schedule.

I didn’t watch last night, but I would have if a Celtic was participating.  I try to catch the 3PT contest, and I think it’s cool that KAT won.  I’ll watch the first 6 minutes or so today to see how Tatum does, and I’ll check the score in the fourth.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 12:55:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Do folks remember when the NBA ASG was actually, um, competitive?  I remember Bird, Jordan and Isaiah as teammates and they played to win, especially in the 2nd half.  A competitor never stops competing. Ah, good old days....
Google is your friend.  Out of the last 12 ASGs, 7 have finished 5 points or less and only 3 finished more that 10 points.  So while it is true that the players go much less than 100% and defense is optional for most of the game, complaining about a lack of competitiveness is off-base.   
I think it was the 2018 game when I tuned in for the last few minutes and the players were very competitive especially Lebron and KD.  As I recall Lebron played some excellent defense on KD to preserve the win.

2020    157-155
2018    148-145
2015    163-158
2013    143-138
2012    152-149
2011    148-143
2010    141-139

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 01:10:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I just don't see why they even hold these games anymore.

I think you answered your own question.  TV ratings, ticket sales, merchandise sales.  It brings in revenue while creating some outside attention for the league during the boring spot in its schedule.

I didn’t watch last night, but I would have if a Celtic was participating.  I try to catch the 3PT contest, and I think it’s cool that KAT won.  I’ll watch the first 6 minutes or so today to see how Tatum does, and I’ll check the score in the fourth.

I'd love to see a mid-season one game elimination tournament replace the ASG as a way of brining some excitement to the boring part of the schedule. Give guys all-star recognition via voting but no need to play the game. Go with a mid-season tournament with some type of meaningful reward for the winning team, like the winner gets an automatic playoff birth  and first round bye or something. Make it possible for a team with a bottom 5 record to get into the playoffs if they win the mid-season tournament.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I like that Marcus and Rob have a few extra days to heal, and I like that Al gets a break.   As far as the festivities and game, I won't watch any of it,