Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47332 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe somebody already answered this....instead of allowing the Pats to have one of the best CBs in football for under $4mill why doesn't a team like the Jets just sweep in and offer him like $11mill on a one year deal? Stephon Gilmore got like $13 I think. So then either the Jets get a slightly good deal or force the Pats to make some business decisions, and it gets Butler to free agency, right?

No?
Because Butler is a restricted free and was tendered as a first round RFA, anyone signing him to a contract like you suggested would need to give up their first round pick to sign him. In the case of the Jets, that would mean the Jets giving up the 6th pick in the draft. It's this reasoning that has made signing first round tendered RFAs an almost extinct event.

« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Maybe somebody already answered this....instead of allowing the Pats to have one of the best CBs in football for under $4mill why doesn't a team like the Jets just sweep in and offer him like $11mill on a one year deal? Stephon Gilmore got like $13 I think. So then either the Jets get a slightly good deal or force the Pats to make some business decisions, and it gets Butler to free agency, right?

No?

The Pats placed a first-round tender on Butler, which means if they choose not to match they get the signing-team's first round pick. In the Jets' case, they'd be giving up the #6 overall pick, and Belichick would probably pack Butler's bags for him.

... and drive him to the airport.

« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

No?

The Pats placed a first-round tender on Butler, which means if they choose not to match they get the signing-team's first round pick. In the Jets' case, they'd be giving up the #6 overall pick, and Belichick would probably pack Butler's bags for him.

... and drive him to the airport.

Hell he'd probably drive Butler straight to the Jets facility.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

No?
Because Butler is a restricted free and was tendered as a first round RFA, anyone signing him to a contract like you suggested would need to give up their first round pick to sign him. In the case of the Jets, that would mean the Jets giving up the 6th pick in the draft. It's this reasoning that has made signing first round tendered RFAs an almost extinct event.
Right, so it would have to either be for way less money in the case of the Jets, in which case Butler wouldn't want to...and there'd have to be some wink winki nod nod in terms of a longer term contract later....or a team like the Falcons might be a better fit for what I'm suggesting, but even then the Falcons probably wouldn't want to give up 4 years of a cheap first rounder for two years of a pretty expensive Butler, or even three.

I would still think a team like the Falcons could maybe be tempted....granted a team like the Falcons is maybe already capped out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:30:34 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know the CBA very well. Can Butler sign after the draft? Do the Pats then get the signing team's 2018 #1?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't know the CBA very well. Can Butler sign after the draft? Do the Pats then get the signing team's 2018 #1?

Butler has until April 21 to sign an offer sheet with another team, as far as I can tell.

This is before the draft (April  27).

« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2017, 11:35:33 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Butler has until April 21 to sign an offer sheet with another team, as far as I can tell.

This is before the draft (April  27).

This ESPN article explains the situation.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/4/2/15156128/report-adrian-peterson-to-visit-patriots

Adrian Peterson meeting with New England tomorrow.

He met with Seattle previously.

Seeing how this Pats offseason has gone, I'm not even going to make any predictions LOL.

But it is surprising they are considering AP but seem mum on Blount (getting older like AP, but knows the Pats system better and doesn't have a bigger injury history - probably also cheap considering his market isn't that big it seems).

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not exactly free agency news but still Pats offseason.

Anyone else ticked off that Gronk was messing around a wresling ring instead of rehabbing his back?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Anyone else ticked off that Gronk was messing around a wresling ring instead of rehabbing his back?

I initially was, and still kind of am.

But it's all scripted, and apparently Pats were okay with it.

That being said, if he has another injury this season there is going to be TONS of criticism coming his way (and possibly could be his last days in NE).

I hope that's not the case though and hopefully he's healthy most of the season/playoffs.

« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That being said, if he has another injury this season there is going to be TONS of criticism coming his way (and possibly could be his last days in NE).

I hope that's not the case though and hopefully he's healthy most of the season/playoffs.

Total non issue, Pat's read the script, realizes it was one shoulder bump and lots of talk, much less than contact than a single practice.

Non issue.

« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Total non issue, Pat's read the script, realizes it was one shoulder bump and lots of talk, much less than contact than a single practice.

Non issue.

Yeah that's what I meant by "scripted" in the post I made.

But it's getting a TON of media hype too, and you know them and how they can overblow things especially if Gronk ends up getting hurt again this season.

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Since the Pats are holding him to his contract, leading him to be pretty underpaid by NFL standards, they have no leverage over him. They could bench him. They could scowl at him.

« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Apparently the Raiders are "locked in" on Lynch, which is why AP is considering NE too.

I think OAK could end up with either, which could be trouble for NE.

I see OAK being the biggest threat to us in the AFC. Pittsburgh's defense is still trash and unless Romo is traded to HOU (to go along with that great defense), I really don't see another true threat in the conference, at least on paper.

« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Non issue.
I realize it's scripted and that there wasn't a lot of contact, but my point still stands. Real injuries happen at these events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwqSJLNrOE
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."