Author Topic: Would Cleveland be willing to help the Celtics?  (Read 4202 times)

Would Cleveland be willing to help the Celtics?
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:39:04 AM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
The thought of Shaq playing for the Celtics is intriguing. I know he is 38 years old and has his better days behind him, but, as explained ad nauseam on this board, he could help the Celtics out immensely. The question is, will he play for the veterans minimum or does he expect to still make about $8M per.

At this point, the only other tool the Celts have in their arsenal (also mentioned about a bazillion times) is Sheed's contract. But, for that to work, the Cavs would have to be willing to sign the Diesel and trade him to Boston, which of course is very possible. However, why would they do it? What's in it for them?

I know the Celtics could send a draft pick or two or maybe one of their young players as part of a deal tied to Sheed's contract.  But maybe, just maybe, Cleveland might be willing to do it with an added incentive.... keeping Lebron from winning a title next season. It may sound far fetched, but right now the Celtics aren't the enemy in Cleveland as Miami has snatched that title in the hearts of the Cav's fans and management. 

I'm not suggesting the Cavs would be willing to hand anything to the Celtics, but it might be easier to deal with them as they know a deal could be two-fold: help position themselves to improve their franchise for the future as well as helping the Celtics keep public enemy number one and his new franchise from winning the title next season.

Of course, Shaq could sign with another contender tomorrow and that would make this a moot point, but I think the door is open for Danny Ainge to build an alliance with Cleveland which could ultimately satisfy both fan bases.
We all think we know more than we really do....

Re: Would Cleveland be willing to help the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:52:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think Clev would be willing to help anyone who can knock Miami out of the playoffs. The problem is getting Shaq for the contract he wants might not actually be helping us.

As has been repeatedly posted, Shaq is a chemistry killer.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:00:56 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'd offer Rasheed and a 2nd round pick for Shaq and Jamario Moon. I wouldn't offer a first round pick at this point for that package. 

I would, however, offer a lottery protected first rounder and Rasheed to Washington for Josh Howard. 

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Cleveland has no reason to avoid making trades with Boston. After LeBron departed, the Cavs are no longer considered Boston's or LA's competition.

They can't beat the Celtics with LeBron at full strength, so what makes you think they can do the same without him?

If they've got any opportunity to make their future better by trading with Boston, it makes little sense to pass that up. But on the flip side, I guess they may not want to give Boston too many pieces as it would reflect poorly on a franchise that has quickly headed downhill. Maybe to another team but not us.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I'd do Parker and Shaq (2 years, 4 million per year) for Sheed and a first (or Bradley). 

With Perks injury I'd also consider Perk and Sheed for Jamison.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:40:35 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
if they were willing to help Boston - I would propose the following:

S&T Shaq , Verejao, and moon or parker

to Celts for

Sheed's contract + 3m for buyout + BBD + Gaffney + Lafayette + a second round pick if necessary

Shaq would get more than the minimum but certainly not his asking price.   BBD is likely chasing the money after this season so locking down the celtics killer Verejao who has 4 years left would be nice.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
if they were willing to help Boston - I would propose the following:

S&T Shaq , Verejao, and moon or parker

to Celts for

Sheed's contract + 3m for buyout + BBD + Gaffney + Lafayette + a second round pick if necessary

Shaq would get more than the minimum but certainly not his asking price.   BBD is likely chasing the money after this season so locking down the celtics killer Verejao who has 4 years left would be nice.

They're not giving up Verajao.  They promised their fans they would win a championship before the Heat.  I'd settle for Shaq and Parker for Sheed.  Don't like Moon.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think to some extent they'd be willing to help, but I'm not sure if they'd help that much.

I do agree with others that the Parker/Shaq for Sheed and a pick notion could work.  Though it'd likely take the Cavs wanting to help us, being that Shaq isn't under salary for them anyway and Parker only has one more year at sensible money (2.8 million).  Thus, Sheed's salary and even a late first round pick don't do all that much for the Cavs. 

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think to some extent they'd be willing to help, but I'm not sure if they'd help that much.

I do agree with others that the Parker/Shaq for Sheed and a pick notion could work.  Though it'd likely take the Cavs wanting to help us, being that Shaq isn't under salary for them anyway and Parker only has one more year at sensible money (2.8 million).  Thus, Sheed's salary and even a late first round pick don't do all that much for the Cavs. 

Right, but that is kind of what I'm hoping for.  The Cavs would have to be motivated to help the Celtics in order to pull off most of the proposed deals.
We all think we know more than we really do....

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
...  But maybe, just maybe, Cleveland might be willing to do it with an added incentive.... keeping Lebron from winning a title next season. It may sound far fetched, but right now the Celtics aren't the enemy in Cleveland as Miami has snatched that title in the hearts of the Cav's fans and management. 
Miami has no starting center right now (well Z I guess).  If, as you say, Shaq fill that specific need to the point where they could win the championship, then I would argue that the Celtics need to make that move even in the absence of Cleveland.  We have argued ad nauseum as to whether Shaq would fit on this team (still debatable), but my point is that keeping him away from a competitor who needs exactly what he brings is an important consideration.