Author Topic: Is Yabu a bust?  (Read 8857 times)

Re: Is Yabu a bust?
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2019, 01:48:29 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Yabust.

Agree. Wasn’t expecting him to have his option exercised

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2019, 02:40:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Yabust.

Agree. Wasn’t expecting him to have his option exercised
Trade purposes.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Zion reminds me of Yabu.

No one can get in his way in college, but he's too heavy for his size and age. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has lower extremity injuries in his rookie year. An 82 game season is tough on a 19 year old.

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Unequivocally. And I like Yabu.

But we took him ahead of Beasley, Levert (the guy I wanted us to pick), Siakam, D Murray, Zubac, Brogdon, McCaw and Jake Layman (another guy I wanted).

Not to mention the other guys we took. Zizic and Nader. I like Zizic, but Nader is one of my least favourite C's ever. Especially when we could've had VanVleet, Nwaba, Derrick Jones Jr., Yogi Ferrell, Dorian Finney-Smith or Danuel House. Ugh.

One of my least favourite drafts in the DA era

It's shocking how poorly Ainge did with six picks in the deepest draft in recent memory.

The picks after Jaylen were groan-inducing at the time and look even worse in retrospect.  It took a higher-level of Basketball negligence to ensure the Celtics didn't walk away with even one of Siakam/Levert/Murray/Zubac/Brogdon with five picks outside the lottery.  Imagine how much better the current roster would be with any two of those guys instead of Yabs and your least favorite Celtic.   

Pascal Siakam is putting up some Chris Bosh numbers in Toronto. That is how bad Ainge missed. Olynyk? Rozier? Oh goodness!

And this is what has predominantly jaded my perception of Ainge when it comes to drafting. How the heck do you pass on a generational talent like Giannis for a bum like Olynyk?

Not solely his fault as I am sure he had scouts and talent evaluators that were providing him suggestions, but that is awful.

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have given this some second thoughts and have decided Yabu is not a bust.....just trade salary fodder for a future trade. Sadly, he is a better trade asset(because he has a $3 million a year contract) than he is a player.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:52:51 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2019, 11:36:46 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Yabusele is basically a version of Amir Johnson and Tyler Zeller. That is, salary filler for potential trades.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

But we took him ahead of Beasley, Levert (the guy I wanted us to pick), Siakam, D Murray, Zubac, Brogdon, McCaw and Jake Layman (another guy I wanted).

Not to mention the other guys we took. Zizic and Nader. I like Zizic, but Nader is one of my least favourite C's ever. Especially when we could've had VanVleet, Nwaba, Derrick Jones Jr., Yogi Ferrell, Dorian Finney-Smith or Danuel House. Ugh.

It's shocking how poorly Ainge did with six picks in the deepest draft in recent memory.

The picks after Jaylen were groan-inducing at the time and look even worse in retrospect.  It took a higher-level of Basketball negligence to ensure the Celtics didn't walk away with even one of Siakam/Levert/Murray/Zubac/Brogdon with five picks outside the lottery.  Imagine how much better the current roster would be with any two of those guys instead of Yabs and your least favorite Celtic.   

Pascal Siakam is putting up some Chris Bosh numbers in Toronto. That is how bad Ainge missed. Olynyk? Rozier? Oh goodness!

And this is what has predominantly jaded my perception of Ainge when it comes to drafting. How the heck do you pass on a generational talent like Giannis for a bum like Olynyk?

Not solely his fault as I am sure he had scouts and talent evaluators that were providing him suggestions, but that is awful.
14 other GMs passed on Giannis. Are all 15 GMs bad drafters?

13 GMs passed on Kawhi Leonard.

8 GMs passed on Paul George.

12 GMs passed on Kobe

The late lottery and later is a crap shoot. You will find tons of busts, tons of solid pros, some All-Stars and the occasional all time great.

Ainge identified Al Jefferson, a former 3rd team All-NBA player, Rajon Rondo, a former 4 time All-Star/3rd team All-NBA/4 time All-Defense player and Tony Allen, a former 6 time All-Defense player in that general area.

That's really good results.

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Zion reminds me of Yabu.

No one can get in his way in college, but he's too heavy for his size and age. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has lower extremity injuries in his rookie year. An 82 game season is tough on a 19 year old.

Yeah, I don't predict Zion will be the superstar that some predict.

It's hard to predict what position he'll play. Is he a small forward or power forward? Is he more of a jump shooter or someone who relies on athleticism? He just doesn't have that prototypical NBA body for a forward that guys like Durant, Tatum, Brown and Hayward have.

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

15 other GMs passed on Giannis. Are all 15 GMs bad drafters too?

12 GMs passed on Kobe

The late lottery and later is a crap shoot. You will find tons of busts, tons of solid pros, some All-Stars and the occasional all time great.

Ainge identified Al Jefferson, a former 3rd team All-NBA player, Rajon Rondo, a former 4 time All-Star/3rd team All-NBA/4 time All-Defense player and Tony Allen, a former 6 time All-Defense player in that general area.

YES

Why did Milwaukee draft him?

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

12 GMs passed on Kobe

YES
Then you really have no idea what you are talking about. If your idea of judging GMs drafting ability is like that, then it follows you must think all GMs are bad drafters because of all the great players found in the 2nd round that was passed up by all 30 GMs.

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ainge was not a particularly good drafter in the beginning, but he seems to have gotten better over time.

He gets one more shot this year.

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

12 GMs passed on Kobe

YES
Then you really have no idea what you are talking about. If your idea of judging GMs drafting ability is like that, then it follows you must think all GMs are bad drafters because of all the great players found in the 2nd round that was passed up by all 30 GMs.

First off, you're really rude. Is that how you handle a debate when someone doesn't agree with you? You tell them they don't know what you're talking about?

Now, let's take a look at Ainge's misses: Like I said earlier, he's average at drafting. He's hit some and missed some.

2007 - Drafted Glen Davis. Player still available: Marc Gasol
2008 - Drafted JR Giddens. Players that were still available: Deandre Jordan, Goran Dragic
2011 - Drafted JaJuan Johnson. Players still available: Jimmy Butler, Bojan Bogdanovich,
2012 - Drafted Jared Sullinger (who ate himself out of the league) and Fab Melo. Players available: Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Tomas Satoransky,
2013 - Drafted Kelly Olynyk. Players available: Giannis, Mason Plumlee, Rudy Gobert,
2014 - Drafted James Young at 17: Players available: Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, Gary Harris, Nikola Jokic

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

12 GMs passed on Kobe

YES

First off, you're really rude. Is that how you handle a debate when someone doesn't agree with you? You tell them they don't know what you're talking about?

Now, let's take a look at Ainge's misses: Like I said earlier, he's average at drafting. He's hit some and missed some.

2007 - Drafted Glen Davis. Player still available: Marc Gasol
2008 - Drafted JR Giddens. Players that were still available: Deandre Jordan, Goran Dragic
2011 - Drafted JaJuan Johnson. Players still available: Jimmy Butler, Bojan Bogdanovich,
2012 - Drafted Jared Sullinger (who ate himself out of the league) and Fab Melo. Players available: Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Tomas Satoransky,
2013 - Drafted Kelly Olynyk. Players available: Giannis, Mason Plumlee, Rudy Gobert,
2014 - Drafted James Young at 17: Players available: Rodney Hood, Clint Capela, Gary Harris, Nikola Jokic
You do realize that you can make a list like that for every GM ever, right? Most of the guys you have listed on here were chosen in the second round, so are you saying every GM is bad at drafting, since they missed these player once and for some GMs, even twice? That's why he said you have no idea what you're talking about.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yabusele is basically a version of Amir Johnson and Tyler Zeller. That is, salary filler for potential trades.

Those guys played real minutes. Yabu hasn't been able to crack the rotation.

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Those guys played real minutes. Yabu hasn't been able to crack the rotation.

Agree , amire was pretty good at times when his old body was operating correctly .   Yabu is Chinese league at best.