Author Topic: WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?  (Read 4889 times)

Re: WOJ: As a single star, Nets prefer Russell to Irving?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I am really unclear why people keep raising this Lakers thing that has two major problems

1) Kyrie wants to be the top banana. This was even reported as a potential issue with him and Durant signing in New York. He wanted to be the guy that signed first. I don't know how people can just ignore this major aspect of his personality that has been consistent for years, and think he is going to go literally play third banana to Davis and Lebron. Anything is possible, but this would be far and away the most surprising thing to happen in basketball in the last few years.

2) They don't currently have a max slot for kyrie, so kyrie would take a significant paycut on what may be the biggest contract of his year (he has also said he doesn't want to play forever, so this could be close to the end for him). Why would he take a pay cut to play third banana?

If he wanted to be top banana, why leave? It just doesn’t make sense to go someplace worse off and expect better results. If Davis doesn’t take the kicker (Klutch will get him that money back), they will be pretty close, he could sign a 1+1 or whatever to get his mega contract next summer.

If what you’re saying is true, leaving Boston makes zero sense. He would get far and away the most money here, and can remain top banana.

The whole NYC thing about who would sign first was complete and utter nonsense, with absolutely zero credibility. Not a single person reporting it could have that information.

I think he’s prepared to take a backseat to whomever he pairs up with. He’s not a leader, and his stint in Boston proved it (hence his unecessarily-publicized apology to LeBron).

Kind of feels like you are just making things up to make something really unrealistic seem realistic. It is has already been widely reported Davis will take the trade kicker (https://sports.yahoo.com/report-anthony-davis-intends-receive-175900036.html)

It would be a very significant pay cut for any max players to go LA right now. There could be something that changes, but they have 23 million in space.

To get to the second part of your comments about what Kyrie wants. Nobody knows for sure, but there were obviously issues here that go beyond his role. He apparently did not get along with Jaylen Brown. He also oddly seems to have some issues with Stevens. However, there is a big diference between being a co-headliner with Durant or Leonard or Davis, and being the third banana behind Lebron and Davis that inevitably gets blamed for everything going wrong (ask how that worked out for Bosh and Love) The NBA season has been bananas so I acknowledge that anythign is possible, but for a lot of very real reasons Irving to the Lakers seems really really unlikely.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Pleaaassee Kyrie just don't wind up back in Boston.

Please Danny, have enough sense not to bring him back.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 06:45:41 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I am really unclear why people keep raising this Lakers thing that has two major problems

1) Kyrie wants to be the top banana. This was even reported as a potential issue with him and Durant signing in New York. He wanted to be the guy that signed first. I don't know how people can just ignore this major aspect of his personality that has been consistent for years, and think he is going to go literally play third banana to Davis and Lebron. Anything is possible, but this would be far and away the most surprising thing to happen in basketball in the last few years.

2) They don't currently have a max slot for kyrie, so kyrie would take a significant paycut on what may be the biggest contract of his year (he has also said he doesn't want to play forever, so this could be close to the end for him). Why would he take a pay cut to play third banana?

If he wanted to be top banana, why leave? It just doesn’t make sense to go someplace worse off and expect better results. If Davis doesn’t take the kicker (Klutch will get him that money back), they will be pretty close, he could sign a 1+1 or whatever to get his mega contract next summer.

If what you’re saying is true, leaving Boston makes zero sense. He would get far and away the most money here, and can remain top banana.

The whole NYC thing about who would sign first was complete and utter nonsense, with absolutely zero credibility. Not a single person reporting it could have that information.

I think he’s prepared to take a backseat to whomever he pairs up with. He’s not a leader, and his stint in Boston proved it (hence his unecessarily-publicized apology to LeBron).

Why would Irving stay in Boston and expect different results ? He does not fit on or off the court. His playing style clashes with what the team was doing and he is a complete whack.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Lakers fan coming in peace...I haven't watched that much of Kyrie in Boston last year, but it seems like he was a team cancer for you guys, and also shot you out of many games in the post season. Why do so many people (including many on here) rate him so highly?

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Why would Irving stay in Boston and expect different results ? He does not fit on or off the court. His playing style clashes with what the team was doing and he is a complete whack.

I think it is exactly the point raised above...he wants to be THE GUY...not just the best guy in a group of really good guys.

He does not want to be the leader of a team.  He wants it all to come down to him.

Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer for him to stay here.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
What if Nets true plan was to make everyone including Kyrie believe they wanted him in essence to help make sure Davis did not go to Boston to form a super team in their division. Payback From Brooklyn to Boston! It would actually be a smart business move if it was their plan and no matter what, it worked since Danny did not mortgage home for Davis. This could leave Kyrie with Knicks after all.

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Irving can go to the Lakers

I don't see how this could possibly be viable?

Given the downright titanic size of Kyrie Irving's ego, I don't see how the Lakers could possible convince him to sign with them for the ~$23M in cap space (or even ~$27M, if AD waives is trade kicker) that the Lakers will seemingly have available of the deal is finalized on the 6th as expected.

Based on the way he left Cleveland and the way things went in Boston, Kyrie seems completely unwilling to make any personal sacrifices for the sake of winning.  I can't see him taking anything less then the max contract that he is entitled to - it seems highly unlikely.

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Lakers fan coming in peace...I haven't watched that much of Kyrie in Boston last year, but it seems like he was a team cancer for you guys, and also shot you out of many games in the post season. Why do so many people (including many on here) rate him so highly?

He’s the super hot girlfriend who treated you like garbage and flirted with other dudes but is nonetheless super hot and spends the night in your apartment.

That said, I’m married.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Kyrie is late career Miles Davis. Stevens is more Dave Brubeck.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841922-kyrie-irving-rumors-nets-may-stop-pursuing-pg-without-kevin-durant-commitment

Bahahaha confirmed by other NY media, too. I guess you can’t just be a diva for a year and give up on/shoot your team out of the playoffs without having some teams concerned about bringing you in alone.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He’s a terrific talent and despite all the warts I’d have him as the 3rd or 4th best pg in the league (behind Dame and Steph).

He’s a weirdo and a horrible locker room presence and his game and stubbornness aren’t conducive towards great team offenses. However there’s a reason he was 2nd team all-NBA. In 2 years here he put ion 24/6/4 on .60 TS. That’s elite.

Also his greatest skill is his ability to create and make difficult shots against great defense which in my opinion is the single most important skill in the NBA.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Just driving him to the Lakers

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841922-kyrie-irving-rumors-nets-may-stop-pursuing-pg-without-kevin-durant-commitment

Bahahaha confirmed by other NY media, too. I guess you can’t just be a diva for a year and give up on/shoot your team out of the playoffs without having some teams concerned about bringing you in alone.
Ha. At this point, you have to figure the door in Boston is shut. I hope the Nets say no so he either is stuck playing for the Knicks or he has to tuck his tail and go be third banana in LA.

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Kyrie to the Lakers would be great. Opens up the possibility that Davis hates his time there and refuses to sign an extension.  Would love to see that franchise go down the toilet with Kyrie being one of the main reasons.