Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs 76ers (1-0) Vegas SL Game 1 7/6/19  (Read 32804 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs 76ers (1-0) Vegas SL Game 1 7/6/19
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #271 on: July 06, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
My takes on this game : Yabu is NOT an NBA player. Timelord remains a project. Pelle of the 76ers blocked him a couple of times and he looked weak in rebounding. I hope he doesn't turn into another Fab Melo. Waters is a feisty defensive player with incredibly fast hands. His offense seemed out of control at times. He could possibly be coached up offensively. G. Williams clearly has a high BB IQ. He plays taller than he is. Good court vision, rebounding and has offensive potential. Before the draft, I was hoping the Celts would get Edwards. He may turn out to be the steal of the draft. Everyone has to be impressed with his outside shooting. But he showed he's not a ball hog. He has good court vision and he passes the ball. And his defense was surprisingly good. I don't think he will be such a liability on defense like many thought. Hopefully Edwards and G. Williams can be part of a productive rotation.
Edwards looks like very nice pick and I think he will be effective as a scorer off the bench.  But one of my takeaways from this game is that Edwards did look like a pretty big ball hog.  It seemed like he was jacking up tons of shots in the first 3 quarters that I saw.

« Reply #272 on: July 06, 2019, 09:02:39 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
OK. Here's my two cents. I watched the whole game.

Danny drafts well. Edwards was the obvious player of the game. Haven't seen the box score, but he scored a slew of points, including 3 pointers. The kid is a real dynamo. Looks like Walker's backup.

Grant W. also stood out. I liked that no.63 center (Onihauo, or something like that) they have. Didn't catch his name. The announcers were too busy talking about the Lakers and the Clippers to pay much attention to the game. Terrible announcing. That other center Pelle the Sixers have was good, too. But he's had several years experience in Europe, so he's ahead of other players.

Which takes me to Robert and Tacko.

Robert started out in the game sleepwalking. They took him out  for Tacko, who was more awake. When Robert came back into the game later, he seemed fully awake and actually showed some intensity. Both these guys had their share of blocks and putbacks throughout the game, but I thought they spent too much time on the perimeter trying to impress the coach with pick and rolls.  That doesn't get them in very good position to get a rebound when somebody misses a 3.

Williams looked a little less green than Tacko, as he should, but both should stay closer to the basket where they can do more damage with their height and reach. Tacko needs a lot of work on his foul shooting. He seems mobile enough. Both showed they can do damage inside. I don't know, seems to me these are just the last players you want roaming the perimeter. That's not what 7 footers do best.

Yabu, by the way, sucks. He was terrible the start of the game, and then disappeared after that. Not good news.

« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I only saw few minutes of Tacko. But man, he really impacts the game. His agility is really overlooked.

Yeah, just his presence impacts the game. You got to work around him. He looks like he can add some muscle.

Another thing I should mention. Austin Ainge was interviewed during the game, and he loves Tacko. My impression is he's the one who signed him. He said he's the smartest 7 footer he has ever seen.  My guess is he will stick. They know they can teach him a lot.

« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
My takes on this game : Yabu is NOT an NBA player. Timelord remains a project. Pelle of the 76ers blocked him a couple of times and he looked weak in rebounding. I hope he doesn't turn into another Fab Melo. Waters is a feisty defensive player with incredibly fast hands. His offense seemed out of control at times. He could possibly be coached up offensively. G. Williams clearly has a high BB IQ. He plays taller than he is. Good court vision, rebounding and has offensive potential. Before the draft, I was hoping the Celts would get Edwards. He may turn out to be the steal of the draft. Everyone has to be impressed with his outside shooting. But he showed he's not a ball hog. He has good court vision and he passes the ball. And his defense was surprisingly good. I don't think he will be such a liability on defense like many thought. Hopefully Edwards and G. Williams can be part of a productive rotation.
Edwards looks like very nice pick and I think he will be effective as a scorer off the bench.  But one of my takeaways from this game is that Edwards did look like a pretty big ball hog.  It seemed like he was jacking up tons of shots in the first 3 quarters that I saw.
one game. summer league. kid is not a lock to make the roster so he has to show off.

with some coaching and a defined role he should be fine.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #275 on: July 06, 2019, 09:34:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Fun game. Observations -

Timelord - kid oozes potential. Nearly had a double/ double in points/rebounds (9/9) in 19 minutes, in addition to 3 steals and 2 blocks. He even attempted several face-up midrange jumpers that he missed, which shows that he’s working on that in his game. He also has excellent passing instincts. Give this kid minutes abd people will see he’s our long-term starting center.

Edwards - kid is a shooter and scorer. Could have a long career as a microwave scorer, and maybe even have IT- level potential if given the right opportunity.

Yabu - bust. Was a reach by Danny that we should cut ties with if no trade arises for him by the end of this season.

G Will - love him already. Reminds me of a mix between Draymond and Smart - less defense but a complete team player who always makes the right play and has a tremendous motor.

Too bad it’s unlikely that we’ll get to see Langford this summer.

« Reply #276 on: July 06, 2019, 10:04:32 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Appreciated all around. Keep um coming guys!
#JKJB

« Reply #277 on: July 06, 2019, 10:38:36 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Fun game. Observations -

Timelord - kid oozes potential. Nearly had a double/ double in points/rebounds (9/9) in 19 minutes, in addition to 3 steals and 2 blocks. He even attempted several face-up midrange jumpers that he missed, which shows that he’s working on that in his game. He also has excellent passing instincts. Give this kid minutes abd people will see he’s our long-term starting center.

Edwards - kid is a shooter and scorer. Could have a long career as a microwave scorer, and maybe even have IT- level potential if given the right opportunity.

Yabu - bust. Was a reach by Danny that we should cut ties with if no trade arises for him by the end of this season.

G Will - love him already. Reminds me of a mix between Draymond and Smart - less defense but a complete team player who always makes the right play and has a tremendous motor.

I truly enjoyed Waters on defense.  His anticipation of on ball steals is truly a talent.  The box score only shows 2 but if you watched the game it seemed like it was 5.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #278 on: July 06, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Fun Game.

I don't agree with Timelord having Zero Offense... He played the game that he has been coached to play... Set good Screens, Roll hard, putbacks and Keep the ball moving (He made a few really good passes)...  (The play where he got the ball with the Clock winding down was fun, but with the big boys he will not be asked to do that)  On Defense I noticed that he wasn't jumping and swatting at everything like he was last year... That was a good thing...

Edwards is fearless and can flat out shoot it...  Loved when he clapped for the ball in the beginning when we were down double digits and got us started with that bucket... He knew we needed offense and had no problem going to work...  Kid plays with great confidence and Swag.. and his defensive pressure was really really solid... Can see him as an Avery Bradley type (with a much better handle)

GW is fundamentally sound and a born leader...The guy was just smart... Perfect on his switches. I cant remember a play where he was out of position. He read the court perfectly on both sides.. First guy off the bench to Shake hands and motivate the guys... Always talking on Defense..  Shot his shots, moved it, handled it and rebounded it...  He makes room with his strength... The kid was impressive... He looks like he is accustomed to winning. It is going to be really hard keeping him off the floor.

Waters was fun... He ran the offense well and his defense was tenacious. Man his hands are fast... His size is a major issue though.. Especially with us having Kemba and Edwards... Not sure how he can make it but with his effort and grit I Really hope he does...  He has been small all his life and made it this far so just maybe...  You can see why he was drafted though... Good guy who plays really hard.

Romeo... I know he didn't play but watching our draft picks... IF he is better than those 3... he must be pretty darn good... Actually way more excited to see him now.

Tacko... gotta make the team.  He didn't look lost, or too thin... He looks like he needs a good big Coach though but I thought he was impactful... That free throw shot was atrocious though.. Lawd have mercy he needs to work on that...  But You can't teach that size...   I hope they keep him. He can be made into something...

Yabu.... Darn. I was really shocked at how bad he looked... This was year 3 and he wasn't playing against a bunch of NBA talent...  I thought experience alone would give him the upper hand, but it didn't. Instead, he looked like the worst guy on the floor from either team... The bad hands, the getting burned on defense was almost forgivable... But that shot clock violation was the worst... Still no real court awareness... He didn't talk on Defense... Just didn't look like a professional at all... Was pretty sad... Williams will get all of his minutes before he is traded...

Nice summary. Thanks for the effort. TP

« Reply #279 on: July 06, 2019, 10:59:38 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Fun game. Observations -

Good Obvs! TP

« Reply #280 on: July 06, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Another observation about Williams is that his stroke looks significantly altered from last year. While last year he had a pretty major hitch in his shot and looked to really cock that ball above his head, his shot looked much smoother tonight. Seems like Williams and the coaching staff have really been working on that midrange jumper. That'd open up his game a lot, especially with his elite athleticism at the 5 position and his underrated vision and passing ability. It's encouraging that he was confident enough to take three of those face-up midrange jumpers tonight.

« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2019, 05:10:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
pretty good amount of pages for a summer league game !

« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Austin Ainge was interviewed during the game, and he loves Tacko. He said he's the smartest 7 footer he has ever seen.

Not that it really matters much, but Ainge said he was the smartest 7'7" person he has ever (known or met).  Pretty funny stuff.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Austin Ainge was interviewed during the game, and he loves Tacko. He said he's the smartest 7 footer he has ever seen.

Not that it really matters much, but Ainge said he was the smartest 7'7" person he has ever (known or met).  Pretty funny stuff.

Cool, thanks for the tidbit. I only caught some of the conversation where he said that Romeo's thumb is healed now but he lacks strength with it

pretty good amount of pages for a summer league game !

yeah it's nice to see a glimmer of optimism on the forums  :D