Author Topic: Fab Melo ineligible for NCAA tourney  (Read 5096 times)

Fab Melo ineligible for NCAA tourney
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Despite earning a No. 1 seed in this year's NCAA tournament, Syracuse now faces an uphill battle in their quest for a national title.

The Orange (31-2) announced on their website Tuesday that sophomore center Fab Melo will not participate in the tournament due to an "eligibility issue.

"Given University policy and federal student privacy laws, no further details can be provided at this time," the site said.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

There goes Syracuse's title chances....

Re: Fab Melo ineligible for NCAA tourney
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
well, I'm glad we didn't have a lockout so I didn't have to get emotionally involved in college basketball this year

Go Orange! (I guess)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ouch, well time to revise my tenative bracket already.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
[dang] -- I was planning on catching one of their tourney games to see this guy play.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Gah!  Why does Cuse have to lose a center every time they've got a good team?  Forget the championship - they'll be lucky to make it past the Sweet Sixteen without Melo. 

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Wowwww.  Sucks for Syracuse

GO HUSKIES!

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
This has been a pretty ominous year for Syracuse basketball.

Between Larry Fine, the story about positive drug tests, and Melo now being ineligible, I worry there may be a several more more bugs under the Orange rock.

I've always liked Boeheim as a coach and he used to strike me a self depricating, which I found pretty endearing. I also found myself rooting for Syracuse more often than not. But, with his constant refrain of "I knew nothing" relative to the recent stories about his program, I now see him as more smug and arrogant than relatable.

I generally perceive big time college hoops as a hypocritical hustle but personally am a bit disspointed in the recent developments based on my previous impression of Boeheim and his program.

Additionally, looking at SU's departure from the Big East, I find them to be a much less likable program.   
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Fab Melo is my choice for the C's pick given our likely pick range and where he projects. I see him as the mid to late first rd big man who blossoms like Perk, Hibbert, Jordan, etc.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Fab Melo is my choice for the C's pick given our likely pick range and where he projects. I see him as the mid to late first rd big man who blossoms like Perk, Hibbert, Jordan, etc.

I hoped he'd stick around another year as he's still pretty raw, but this suspension pretty much guarantees he's coming out now. 

Sounds like he started the Cuse tradition of skipping all your classes when you declare a few months early. 

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Just changed my pick to Vandy to lose to Kansas in the Final 4

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
[dang] -- I was planning on catching one of their tourney games to see this guy play.

Still recommend you going to see a game if it's not to much of a hassle.  I went to a couple down here in Tampa and they were a blast!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline ahares

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I live just outside of Syracuse and go to most of there home games, Fab is a legit NBA center. Definitely needs work since hes only been playing basketball for 4 years but his upside is huge. Has a very good 12 foot jumper that he never gets to use, great shot blocker, needs some work on boxing out on defensive rebounds. I do think he will enter the draft since he gotten pretty cocky this year and very lazy in school. On the right team aka the Celtics he could be a huge asset. Would love to see a Cuse player get drafted by the C's. Been a while since Sherman Douglas.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think the obvious question here is when did Boeheim know about this?  Prior to selection day or after?

Syracuse is not nearly the same team without Melo and if the committee knew, UNC would be the #1 in the East, Syracuse would be a #2 and Kansas would be a #1 in the Midwest.

So we will see how this affects the tourney, but very shady move here by the Syracuse people.

Florida State is winning the East with or without Fab Melo.  Thats what my brackets have... LOL.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I think the obvious question here is when did Boeheim know about this?  Prior to selection day or after?

Syracuse is not nearly the same team without Melo and if the committee knew, UNC would be the #1 in the East, Syracuse would be a #2 and Kansas would be a #1 in the Midwest.

Missouri was next in line for a #1 based on the S-curve - they were paired with Michigan St, the 4th #1.  But yeah, Cuse probably drops to a 2 in that scenario. 

Honestly as a Cuse fan I'd rather they be in Michigan St's region as a #2 than Ohio St's as a #1.