Author Topic: Duke / UNC Austin Rivers Game Winner (merged threads)  (Read 16432 times)

Re: Austin Rivers hits 3 at buzzer to beat UNC !
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Doc was jumping around like a mad thing with his wife! Was hilarious! Cold-blooded from Austin Rivers

That was his daughter, the volleyball player with him. Doc's wife wasn't there but anyways. Cold...blooded...three.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Re: Duke / UNC Austin Rivers Game Winner (merged threads)
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I was also impressed with Mason Plumlee's 14 boards against UNC's front court.  I think we ought to target him as he might fall to us.   He could be a poor man's Blake Griffith.

I covet both Rivers and Plumlee and I am no Duke fan but they could be in the realistic range for us.

I'm speechless with this comparison.

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Performances like that will get him picked in the lottery.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
I know everyone loves Austin on here because he is Doc's kid, and he obviously has a load of talent. That said, the kid is a selfish player with an ego the size of some of the most proven superstars in the NBA. He needs to learn how to harness this and desperately needs to work on his play-making, passing. There is no doubt that he is highly capable of getting his own shot with the dribble though, and that's what is most attractive about him.

Here's a quote from Seth Davis, a college basketball analyst who went to Duke himself, on Twitter last night towards end of game. Sums up Rivers perfectly in my opinion (mind you this didn't take into account the clutch shot at the end): "Austin Rivers has 26 pts but not sure he has done anything to make his teammates better." This has been the common criticism of Rivers all year, even among the Duke faithful.

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I know everyone loves Austin on here because he is Doc's kid, and he obviously has a load of talent. That said, the kid is a selfish player with an ego the size of some of the most proven superstars in the NBA. He needs to learn how to harness this and desperately needs to work on his play-making, passing. There is no doubt that he is highly capable of getting his own shot with the dribble though, and that's what is most attractive about him.

Here's a quote from Seth Davis, a college basketball analyst who went to Duke himself, on Twitter last night towards end of game. Sums up Rivers perfectly in my opinion (mind you this didn't take into account the clutch shot at the end): "Austin Rivers has 26 pts but not sure he has done anything to make his teammates better." This has been the common criticism of Rivers all year, even among the Duke faithful.

+1

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
He's a freshman and plays like a freshman..meaning he is up and down with his play and it learning how to play the game. He has to do things different then he did them in high school and is finding that out. Duke and coach K preach team play so he will learn and wouldn't be playing at Duke if he wasnt a team player.

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38

He's a 2-guard being asked to play point and handle the ball -- it's not his natural position.  Duke needs him to score and he's really the only guy on that team who can get his own shot when things break down. It may seem like he's selfish, but he's only averaging 11 shots per game.  Rivers has "it" and is going to be a really good pro, imho.  With a good point guard (Rondo) next to him, Rivers will really excel.  I also just read that he measured 6'5 in shoes, and who knows if he's still growing.

Notes: Measured 6'5 (in shoes) 203 lbs, with a 6'7 wingspan at the 2011 Kevin Durant Skills Academy.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/austin-rivers

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I thought he actually made some pretty good passes in that game. He was also open under the basket a few times which speaks for his ability to move without the ball.

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I'm not saying you're wrong, or right.

I don't know the kid.  But that's just it.  He's still a kid, a half a year removed from HS.   Many of these star athletes coming out of HS have out of control ego's.  Most of them don't have this kids talent.  Most don't have not only a successful NBA player but also a successful NBA coach as a dad and mentor.  I'm pretty sure if his ego was as out of control as you think Doc would have no problem knocking him down a peg or two.  He did it with Paul Pierce when he first came to Boston.    You don't think Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant or KG or just about any other NBA superstar now and in the past other then maybe Ray Allen don't have rather large ego's?  Not an issue at 18 years of age.  At 35 you get Alan Iverson but at 18 with that kind of talent, not to mention a Dad who is a sports celebrity, it's normal behavior.

I live in NC.  Austin Rivers has been interviewed all day today on the radio here.  He sounds like a level headed, mature beyond his years kid.  It could totally be an act as Doc is very media savvy and has probably coached him on what to say and not to say.  Just an observation.  He doesn't sound arrogant.  He sounds humble.

He's a freshman in college so he will grow his game, learn to pass, defend, incorporate his talents into the team game and learn to create for others.  

I'm not saying draft him or not.  I don't know how the father/son dynamic would work in the NBA.  No one does because it hasn't been done.  I'd have a hard time passing on his kind of talent if he were there.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:51:16 PM by CelticsFanNC »

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
draft him ...draft him...draft Austin Rivers ..he may need development on defence BUT HE IS GOING TO BE A STAR ! trade up,trade whoever for him austin rivers is our guy
Are people serious, isn't the kid going to go fast ?

His handles and driving to the rim is Wade like

Not really. Draft Express currently has him going 20. Plus, we have 2 #1 picks. So if he goes slightly above one of those picks, we could package them both to draft him, if he is indeed our target.

http://www.draftexpress.com/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:06:40 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
draft him ...draft him...draft Austin Rivers ..he may need development on defence BUT HE IS GOING TO BE A STAR ! trade up,trade whoever for him austin rivers is our guy
Are people serious, isn't the kid going to go fast ?

His handles and driving to the rim is Wade like

Not really. Draft Express currently has him going 20. Plus, we have 2 #1 picks. So if he goes slightly above one of those picks, we could package them both to draft him, if he is indeed our target.

http://www.draftexpress.com/
Ahh ok word thought he would go sooner
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Nobody really knows where Rivers would go....He could be top 5, he could be top 25....

Regardless, this is a deep and loaded draft.  We haven't seen this type of draft for, well, who knows when (2003)?... Ainge is sitting pretty with these 2 picks & money flying off the books.  Ton of options left open for him to rebuild this team.

I personally think he's eyeying Rivers or Sullinger...It's just a guess, but I believe Rondo is the bait to get him his man, whoever it may be.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I have a feeling that Austin is going to stay another year at Duke.  It could really help his all around game, as K is an excellent teacher, and god knows, Austin's family doesn't need the cash, so if he enjoys his college experience, he may as well stay.  Probably serve him well in the following year's draft too.

One heck of a game he had last night.

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1ewxVwhug

Hazaahh! Take a look at good ol' Doc Rivers in this video, jumping up and down with joy and hugging some random duke fan...

That was his daughter, I think.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday

I'm not saying you're wrong, or right.

I don't know the kid.  But that's just it.  He's still a kid, a half a year removed from HS.   Many of these star athletes coming out of HS have out of control ego's.  Most of them don't have this kids talent.  Most don't have not only a successful NBA player but also a successful NBA coach as a dad and mentor.  I'm pretty sure if his ego was as out of control as you think Doc would have no problem knocking him down a peg or two.  He did it with Paul Pierce when he first came to Boston.    You don't think Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant or KG or just about any other NBA superstar now and in the past other then maybe Ray Allen don't have rather large ego's?  Not an issue at 18 years of age.  At 35 you get Alan Iverson but at 18 with that kind of talent, not to mention a Dad who is a sports celebrity, it's normal behavior.

I live in NC.  Austin Rivers has been interviewed all day today on the radio here.  He sounds like a level headed, mature beyond his years kid.  It could totally be an act as Doc is very media savvy and has probably coached him on what to say and not to say.  Just an observation.  He doesn't sound arrogant.  He sounds humble.

He's a freshman in college so he will grow his game, learn to pass, defend, incorporate his talents into the team game and learn to create for others.  

I'm not saying draft him or not.  I don't know how the father/son dynamic would work in the NBA.  No one does because it hasn't been done.  I'd have a hard time passing on his kind of talent if he were there.

I agree that he is a smart kid. He obviously now understands what is appropriate to say in an interview, and I'm sure the Duke media team has worked with him to ensure this. That said, he is the same kid who said this his senior of high school (first 10 seconds of this clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yOFXHscy-o

The comparison between Doc's treatment of Pierce and Austin don't make any sense to me, to be honest. I know what you're going for, but a relationship between a player/coach (especially on the NBA level) is comparable in NO way to a father/son. What father is going to bring his son's confidence down a peg?? I mean, Doc can probably give some advice about how to handle the media, but bring his son down a peg. Don't agree.

All I am saying is that people have had issues with the way the kid carries himself on the court -- although, a certain level of cockiness/confidence is imperative in great players. But it doesn't have to be external and maybe it's just youth. But Coach K did take him out of the starting lineup for a game earlier in season because he wasn't buying into what they were coaching.

Maybe I just have a problem with the fact that other guys make their own way and so their confidence/cockiness come from the struggle it took to reach the high collegiate level. Not saying Austin didn't work hard, but it's different growing up the son an NBA player with all those advantages (Steph Curry let his play do the talking). And I admit it, that is an unfair way to view him but it does play a factor -- "stop acting so tough, you're dad is a millionaire coach/former NBA player."

He is a very talented player, no doubt. I just think he could be a bit more humble. I think the team game will come to him though. And he definitely has the clutch gene, so can't take that away from him.