Author Topic: Following College Hoops?  (Read 5501 times)

Following College Hoops?
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Just out of curiosity, with the lockout killing off the NBA season, are people looking forward to the college basketball season as a sort of NBA-substitute until the new CBA is finally hammered out?

Personally, I only have a moderate interest in my local teams PC and URI during the season but will probably develop more interest in them to fill the hole left by the NBA lockout.  Might end up attending my first college game in about 15 years if there's no NBA season.

Anyone else out there filling the void with college hoops or does the NBA lockout have no impact on your following of college basketball?

Re: Following College Hoops?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I will watch the same amount of college basketball this year as any other year, which is essentially nothing till February (the occasional big game from Ohio State or Cincinnati - the two teams I follow - but not much else).  I just don't watch it until football season is over.  Any time I spend watching the NBA, I will just watch scripted shows or do something else, it won't be spent watching meaningless boring college games.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:59:37 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I plan on watching every BC game, no matter how terrible they may be
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:47:48 AM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
When you hardly miss a Celts game on TV and many others on top of that and stop to think how much time that is...wow! I'm going to have a lot of free time! I have been attending the March Madness Champ. 1st & 2nd round games for about 20 years now and I really start paying attention around late Jan early Feb, I can see that changing into Late Oct early Nov with the lockout.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
When you hardly miss a Celts game on TV and many others on top of that and stop to think how much time that is...wow! I'm going to have a lot of free time! I have been attending the March Madness Champ. 1st & 2nd round games for about 20 years now and I really start paying attention around late Jan early Feb, I can see that changing into Late Oct early Nov with the lockout.
usually I don't really start paying attention to college hoops until about the same time as football ends (and conference play ramps up) but as you noted, with all that time freed up from watching C's games, I'll probably fill some of that time with college games. 

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Over the past couple of years, I've grown to appreciate the college game about as much as the NBA. I'll be watching as much as I can regardless of the lockout situation, but I imagine I would devote some extra time to ESPNU if the NBA doesn't reach a deal some time soon.

Rondo2287: it's gonna be a long year, haha.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm a huge college basketball fan and really like the November tourneys that pit some great teams against each other early in the season. I also love the ACC-Big Ten series of games as invariably you get some of the best teams in the country playing high quality teams early in the season again.

But most of my watching is Saturday afternoons once college football goes into "Bowl" more and college basketball starts the inner conference play. So I usually get to see a bunch of ACC, Big East, SEC, Big Ten, Conference USA and Atlantic 10 basketball since they are usually the conferences with games on on Saturday afternoons.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I'm a huge college basketball fan and really like the November tourneys that pit some great teams against each other early in the season. I also love the ACC-Big Ten series of games as invariably you get some of the best teams in the country playing high quality teams early in the season again.

But most of my watching is Saturday afternoons once college football goes into "Bowl" more and college basketball starts the inner conference play. So I usually get to see a bunch of ACC, Big East, SEC, Big Ten, Conference USA and Atlantic 10 basketball since they are usually the conferences with games on on Saturday afternoons.
Hey Nick, did you catch the ACC-Big Ten series last year and if so, did you see a game with Purdue?  Just curious if you caught our new draftees in action and what you thought about them.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hey Nick, did you catch the ACC-Big Ten series last year and if so, did you see a game with Purdue?  Just curious if you caught our new draftees in action and what you thought about them.
Can't quite remember. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one Purdue game last year but honestly, no one stood out to me in the game that would make me remember them. So I really don't have a lot of news to give you on either.

On a side note, Boise State in the Big East in basketball? Imagine providence having to travel to Boise State for a conference game? Three planes, three time zones and $2000 per round trip ticket per person traveling with the team. I'm guessing the people at PC wouldn't be too happy with that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:31:47 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Really looking forward to the 11-11 UNC-MSU game on the aircraft carrier.  Both because I'm a UNC alum and because I want to see just how the heck a basketball game in open air on the ocean actually works out in reality.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Hey Nick, did you catch the ACC-Big Ten series last year and if so, did you see a game with Purdue?  Just curious if you caught our new draftees in action and what you thought about them.
Can't quite remember. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one Purdue game last year but honestly, no one stood out to me in the game that would make me remember them. So I really don't have a lot of news to give you on either.

On a side note, Boise State in the Big East in basketball? Imagine providence having to travel to Boise State for a conference game? Three planes, three time zones and $2000 per round trip ticket per per traveling with the team later, I'm guessing the people at PC wouldn't be too happy with that.
thanks for the info.

I couldn't believe that Boise St story when it was first reported.  made no sense for the exact reasons you mentioned. 

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
OH MY...Anthony Davis....this kid had 15 pts, 15 rebs, EIGHT BLOCKS last night...vs ST Johns, which isn't a scrub team at all.

It's a shame that there seems to be no other footage of his swats or game last night, but I found this youtube clip of him from high school last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OSxB2HZAKE

Here is some footage of the game last night. Unfortunately it just doesn't do him enough justice, IMO:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313350096

I know it's unlikely that he lasts until our 12th pick next June, but imagine him, Jeff Greene and Jajuan with Rondo...

Danny - can we get him next year?

Did I mention his EIGHT BLOCKS, lol...defense always gets me excited, I'm sorry. Send it back, son!

If he can just learn to keep those blocks IN PLAY, like Bill Russell did....

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Andre Drummond has like 10 pts, 10 reb and 7 blks the other day...

Although Davis seems more explosive than Drummond, but both have potential to be good players in the NBA