Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Bucks (0-1) Round 2 Game 2 4/30/19  (Read 47352 times)

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Bucks (0-1) Round 2 Game 2 4/30/19
« Reply #750 on: April 30, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Bucks at least answered PP's question about ..... 'where do the Bucks go from here'?

Pierce is such an idiot. People have to learn that you don't give teams bulletin board material to get them motivated, especially in the playoffs. If he was truly pulling for the Celtics like we all know he is, then you wouldn't say stupid, clearly ridiculous things like that, especially on the national stage.

Besides, it's a ludicrous statement from the get-go. It was always more likely that the Bucks would win this game, as it's incredibly rare for the home team to take the first two games on the road, especially from the top overall seed.

PP still learning on the job. He seems to get picked on by Jalen and Chauncey quite a bit on that show.

« Reply #751 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:08 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'm not worried. How many people expected us to take both game 1 and 2 on the road?

The goal going in was to get one of the first 2 on the road and we did. On to game 3 and defending homecout.

« Reply #752 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Rozier with another dumb shot. He never gets tired...

« Reply #753 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I'm not worried. How many people expected us to take both game 1 and 2 on the road?

The goal going in was to get one of the first 2 on the road and we did. On to game 3 and defending homecout.

Exactly, I am excited and happy we won one there.

« Reply #754 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

I expected a split, but didn't expect the Celtics to be demoralized LIKE THAT tonight to the point where the Bucks can potentially win 4 straight thanks to momentum and confidence.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #755 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
What game were people watching? 

I saw a team that played solid defense for the most part until the wheels came off.  I saw a team that got open looks for the most part until the wheels came off.  They were absolutely put in a position to succeed.  They just went stone cold and it snowballed from there.

I get that you’re frustrated and looking for somebody to blame, but sometimes you get sonned.  We did it to them on Sunday and it was our turn tonight.  There is no magic knob to turn on nights like this.

Turn the page and get em on Friday.

« Reply #756 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I am sticking with my original take. Brad played possum tonight.

« Reply #757 on: April 30, 2019, 10:21:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
How many timeouts did Stevens call during the 28-2 run ?
Technically there were two.  I guess the third would have been the magic pill.

That's ludicrous, you call more than that on an embarrassing run like 28-2. When has 28-2 ever even happened in the playoffs ?
Not even the famous 1986 Celts third quarter vs Hawks.

There were much worse playoff losses then tonight after we stole the first game in dominating fashion. We did what we needed to do although we did lay a big egg tonight after feasting on them last game.

121-63, Denver over NO in playoffs 2009
120-66, Bulls vs Bucks in 15 was another thrashing of epic proportions

It can always be worse..cry us a river, 1-1 and home court advantage is ours.

No, I meant a 28-2 run in the middle of a playoff game, specifically.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #758 on: April 30, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I mean, this is as bad as we have looked all year, and we're clearly out of whack and sync right now; yet Brad is over there literally just straight-faced, hoarding his timeouts like it's going to matter later in the fourth. God, so frustrating.

Between the p--- poor shot selection all night by Kyrie, Rozier, and Tatum and the lack of effective in-game management from the coaching staff, this team can be really, really dumb at times. It's embarrassing.
Time outs not the magic elixir.  He already called one anyway.  At some point the players have to produce.

Yeah, you always say that, but it's simply not true. They ended on a 24-4 run, with us having more turnovers than I can even remember during that run. You seriously think a timeout wouldn't have benefited us to get us an easy bucket for an ATO play?? And besides, what the hell are you saving them for anyways in a blowout game??
He called a time out?!? How many more you want?

MORE THAN ONE! He has four timeouts left in a freaking thirty point blowout. What else is he going to use them for?? You realize that he can call more than one timeout in a quarter, right??
Well technically he had two timeouts.  Didn’t do squat.

I mean, then you keep calling them. It's not that difficult. To not call them means that they just continue reeling in their futility. Keeping those timeouts for late in the game means jack squat if you have no chance of coming back anyways.
Im sorry but that’s ridiculous.  Players simply have to play better.  Zero to do with the coach.

I mean, by your perception of what a coach's responsibilities are, I'm not even sure that they need a coach.  ;)

Seriously, what it is that you think that NBA coaches do, because clearly you don't think that in-game management is part of their job description?
Absolutely I understand that game management is part of their job.  I simply do not believe that calling five timeouts in a quarter is the [dang] solution.  If you need to do that, then game management not the issue.

And who in the whole wide world that knows anything about coaching thinks brad can’t manage a game.  That’s not even a thing.

I mean, nobody said five - I would've settled for two or three. He literally only called one timeout during the third quarter (check the play by play), even in the midst of a 28-2 run.

We're going to end up losing this game by 25+, and we were down by 25 going into the fourth quarter. We're going to end up with three remaining timeouts by the end of the game.

Are you seriously arguing that it was not a mistake to forego more timeouts during that run, even when we had so many to spare? There's LITERALLY no downside to that strategy. It clearly wouldn't have made you play any worse, and could've only improved your play. I think it's incredibly illogical to make that argument.

« Reply #759 on: April 30, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am sticking with my original take. Brad played possum tonight.
I sure hope you're right
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #760 on: April 30, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I was actually reasonably satisfied with our performance in the first half, we shot poorly but defensively we played well, Middleton hit some miracle threes. You kind of have to pick your poison when it comes to loading the paint against Giannis vs giving up some open looks at the perimeter. But after halftime Giannis started passing the ball out of the paint a lot more and our closeouts to the perimeter were too slow and the barrage of 3s just broke us. Kyrie, Gordon, JT and Terry shot 9-41 that's 21% from the floor. And each miss the Bucks converted on the other end. And the crowd gets really into it. By the end of the quarter they'd lost so much composure that they weren't even in the right spots for passes (e.g. Kyrie to Gordon) and they weren't using plays that worked well in Game 1 (like the Kyrie/Al pick and roll). Just folded mentally. At that point everything that can go wrong tends to go wrong, you get calls against you, Bucks miracle shots go in, etc.

Just gotta learn from the mistakes made in that 3rd and make adjustments. That's really where we lost the game. We said that the Bucks were going to make adjustments, they did. We dared the rest of the team to beat us, well Middleton had 28 and Bledsoe 21, both shot 10-15 from 3. Giannis didn't try to beat us by himself, he passed out to the perimeter a lot more and they killed us.

So both teams have been blown out, any momentum we had from Game 1 has been negated by losing this way. The silver lining is we got blown out on their floor, not ours so we still have home court. Gotta approach Games 3 and 4 like Game 7s, they are absolute must wins. We have to re-think how we're loading, obviously we need to negate Giannis, but we need to do better when it comes to closing out on shooters as well, especially if they're going to keep shooting like this.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #761 on: April 30, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
How many timeouts did Stevens call during the 28-2 run ?
Technically there were two.  I guess the third would have been the magic pill.

That's ludicrous, you call more than that on an embarrassing run like 28-2. When has 28-2 ever even happened in the playoffs ?
Not even the famous 1986 Celts third quarter vs Hawks.

There were much worse playoff losses then tonight after we stole the first game in dominating fashion. We did what we needed to do although we did lay a big egg tonight after feasting on them last game.

121-63, Denver over NO in playoffs 2009
120-66, Bulls vs Bucks in 15 was another thrashing of epic proportions

It can always be worse..cry us a river, 1-1 and home court advantage is ours.

No, I meant a 28-2 run in the middle of a playoff game, specifically.

Will need to dig to see if it was the worst for a quarter..could be for sure!

« Reply #762 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
SERIOUSLY, Brad needs to let folks know what he does with all those TIMEOUTS he takes home with him.

« Reply #763 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
This game reminded me of the Lakers @ Boston game earlier this year where they set a record franchise 3 in the TD Garden.

But a worse beatdown.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #764 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Well, Rozier got up his 2-10 shots...