Author Topic: What can trading Rozier can get us? (Wants $20 million per season)  (Read 16270 times)

Re: What can trading Rozier can get us?
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He's easily worth 20 million a year if Irving is worth 30-40 million lol.

Yeah, in a league where Chris Paul is going to be making $40 million a year, Terry Rozier has to be worth $20 mil, right?

But I don't think he's worth that to the Celtics. Not with Kyrie and with Smart on a lesser deal and so many other point guards out there. A sign-and-trade next summer is probably ideal but I know the logistics of those kinds of deals have gotten really complicated so I don't know how realistic it is.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: What can trading Rozier can get us? (Wants $20 million per season)
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He [Rozier] needs to appreciate playing 28 minutes with us into the Finals for something closer to Smart money than 20 (maybe 15?) and getting playoff pay plus guaranteed national tv exposure is far, far superior to being the starting PG in Phoenix, never making the playoffs, and getting one nationally televised game each year, but for $20M. Screw that.

You honestly believe that being a backup as opposed to a starter, playing less minutes, and making significantly less money is a more desirable path for Rozier? Just because he'd get a better chance at winning, and more national exposure?

I seriously doubt Rozier shares that sentiment, nor should he.

Yeah, I think most young guys -- rightfully, in my opinion -- are going to value playing time and money over starting.

Later in their careers, when they're wildly rich and well-established, is the time when most guys start appreciating the chance at a ring.

In an era though where midsized contracts makes you wildly rich a 4 year 60 mil contract with the C’s verses a 4 year 80 mil contract with another team will still make you wildly rich.  You get to a point with money you can only spend so much.

I also think people around the league know how good Rozier is.  I don’t think the preception of Rozier will change all that much if he stays with us verses another team where he becomes a mid level NBA starting point guard.  Maybe I’m just too optimistic about it though.

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Someone like Phoenix would overpay him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: What can trading Rozier can get us?
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Rozier's gone because he wants to start.
And he would start for a lot of teams in this league.  I was surprised to see that he was even having talks with the Celtics about an extension.  He won't get what he's worth staying here - unless Kyrie goes.

That all said I don't believe he's a starter for a team that thinks it has a chance of winning a conference.  His overall play on the road is not great and that's the difference between a reliable starter for a good team - and a rotation player who can start for the bottom 15+ teams in the league.  You get paid a lot better starting for a lesser team.

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't overpay your role players.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Aren't you tired of this free agency nonsense that we have to put up with every year? A team develops a player and three years later team owners have to make up their minds if want to sign him or not. (That's if he want to resign with the team.)

It's at the point where the financial, trading and acquisition skills of the GM are more important than player skills.

Why not just read the Wall Street Journal and market reports. Then, invest your money. At least you'll be able to decide if a commodity is worth paying for or not. You can buy or sell whenever you want to.

I wish we could back to just playing basketball. I tired of these shenanigans!!!

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Don't overpay your role players.

Pat Riley wants to have a word with you.

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
who is begging for an old fashion DA fleecing?

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He [Rozier] needs to appreciate playing 28 minutes with us into the Finals for something closer to Smart money than 20 (maybe 15?) and getting playoff pay plus guaranteed national tv exposure is far, far superior to being the starting PG in Phoenix, never making the playoffs, and getting one nationally televised game each year, but for $20M. Screw that.

You honestly believe that being a backup as opposed to a starter, playing less minutes, and making significantly less money is a more desirable path for Rozier? Just because he'd get a better chance at winning, and more national exposure?

Yeah, I think most young guys -- rightfully, in my opinion -- are going to value playing time and money over starting.

Later in their careers, when they're wildly rich and well-established, is the time when most guys start appreciating the chance at a ring.

In an era though where midsized contracts makes you wildly rich a 4 year 60 mil contract with the C’s verses a 4 year 80 mil contract with another team will still make you wildly rich. You get to a point with money you can only spend so much.

I also think people around the league know how good Rozier is.  I don’t think the preception of Rozier will change all that much if he stays with us verses another team where he becomes a mid level NBA starting point guard.  Maybe I’m just too optimistic about it though.

I hear people say this some times but the behavior of basically all very wealthy people seems to suggest the exact opposite attitudes toward money.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In an era though where midsized contracts makes you wildly rich a 4 year 60 mil contract with the C’s verses a 4 year 80 mil contract with another team will still make you wildly rich.  You get to a point with money you can only spend so much.

I don't necessarily agree on the money aspect.

Let's say he gets to keep $40 million out of a $60 million contract after taxes, agent fees, etc.

That's $40 million to last what, 60 years or so?  Now, sure, $700k per year should be plenty, especially if he invests it properly.  But, since when did NBA players stick to a budget and make solid investments?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2018, 07:06:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

Let's say he gets to keep $40 million out of a $60 million contract after taxes, agent fees, etc.

That's $40 million to last what, 60 years or so?  Now, sure, $700k per year should be plenty, especially if he invests it properly.  But, since when did NBA players stick to a budget and make solid investments?

How are you coming up with that amount?  Let’s take the average rate of return in the stock market of 7%.   To get to $700,000 a year you probably need about 10 mil.  If you want that net amount after taxes, fees ect you are probably talking about 20 mil safely saved away.

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

How are you coming up with that amount?  Let’s take the average rate of return in the stock market of 7%.   To get to $700,000 a year you probably need about 10 mil.  If you want that net amount after taxes, fees ect you are probably talking about 20 mil safely saved away.
I think it was merely 40000000/60 that Roy was doing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

$40 million divided by 60 years.  That's roughly $700k.  I don't think it's necessarily realistic to project a 7% return, when guys traditionally just haven't spent their money wisely.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

$40 million divided by 60 years.  That's roughly $700k.  I don't think it's necessarily realistic to project a 7% return, when guys traditionally just haven't spent their money wisely.

Well maybe traditionally it’s true, but with all the support systems/advisors that are in place today I would think players are making smarter choices.  If not it’s on them, and I don’t feel too bad for them.  If they care more about burning through their money, maybe it’s not the type of guy we want on our team.

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2018, 08:15:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Money or Glory, if Rozier can't appreciate being in this organization at this golden age then i have little concern letting him go, hopefully for AD