Author Topic: What can trading Rozier can get us? (Wants $20 million per season)  (Read 16155 times)

Re: What can trading Rozier can get us?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2800542-celtics-rumors-terry-rozier-wont-receive-contract-extension-prior-to-deadline

"The Boston Celtics and point guard Terry Rozier are reportedly not expected to reach an agreement before Monday's deadline to sign players to a rookie-scale contract extension.

On Friday, Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe reported Rozier is focused on proving he can become a starter at the NBA level before signing a long-term deal. He's hopeful of landing a contract worth around $20 million per season next summer as a restricted free agent.

The 24-year-old University of Louisville product has spent most of his first three NBA seasons as a reserve for Boston. He's averaged 7.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists while shooting 35.5 percent from three-point range across 193 appearances (16 starts).

Rozier shined during last season's playoffs with Kyrie Irving sidelined after knee surgery. He put up 16.5 points, 5.7 assists, 5.3 rebounds and 1.3 steals as the full-time starter for 19 games. His average of 36.6 minutes in those contests was up nearly 11 minutes from the regular season (25.9 MPG).

Trying to translate that success into the new campaign could provide difficult because of the Celtics' backcourt depth. The 2015 first-round pick is set to battle with Irving, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown on the perimeter, which will likely limit his minutes again.

Tom Westerholm of MassLive noted Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said Thursday the organization has made it clear to Rozier they want him on the roster for a long time despite the contract uncertainty:

"I think it's very clear how all of us—players, coaches and front office, people in Boston, everybody you run into—how they feel about Terry. And it'd be great if we could have him here for a long, long, time. But I don't get into that with contract negotiations and discussions. But kind of like we talked with Marcus last summer, he knew very directly how I feel about it. And I think that he's a really good player, and I hope he's here for a long time."

His future is probably heavily dependent on how Irving decides to handle his own contract situation. He can utilize a player option to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018-19 season.

If Boston's starting point guard decides to sign a lucrative long-term extension, it would prove difficult for the front office to keep Rozier if he's still seeking a deal in the neighborhood of $20 million annually.

Should Irving leave, however, the Celtics will have more financial flexibility to fit Rozier under the salary cap, while still seeking upgrades elsewhere on the roster next summer."

Seems pretty clear that it's unlikely we'll be able to keep Rozier next year if he is looking for that kind of contract. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean we should trade him rather than losing him for nothing either, especially if Danny and Brad feel like he will help us in the playoffs.

If we do trade him, a shooter/scorer off the bench plus draft compensation would be what I'm looking for in a Rozier trade.

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Trade him and dont look back. Get a 2020 pick and any solid backup guard. Use pick in package for Davis

20 mill a year is ridiculous

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 08:40:18 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
His value to the team this season is worth more than he can fetch in a trade.

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I've been high on TR for a good while. I can see him starting on a playoff team next year. Sure. He can shoot, but his step is just catlike quick. He can do it, and that job easily pays $20M per, a good deal less than the max these days, when the top top players are due for $40M pretty soon.

It's hard to expect a guy on his rookie deal to not want the big deal, and a good step up for a player once deep in Portland.

Will Kyrie step up?  He needs to do like the guys in Miami did and more recently in GS and leave some money on the table for TR.

Danny and the owners probably have a basic roster/salary structure all charted out by position and role.  The only questions really are whether that backup guard salary slot is taken by Marcus, (I do think his contract is about spot on for a 3rd guard,) if Danny would keep 2 at that price, would Kyrie kick in, and Rozier accept the role.  If it flies, it's a model for Horford/Brown and Hayward/Tatum down the line, and they all g t to play in the Finals for the next decade.

Anything is possible.

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 09:16:02 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Rozier's gone because he wants to start.

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2018, 12:20:25 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I think if we want to challenge Warriors or anyone of that level in comming years, we should have both of them, Irving and Rozier.

Thank You
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2018, 02:47:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He's easily worth 20 million a year if Irving is worth 30-40 million lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2018, 03:39:40 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Ok bye bye Rozier. Thank you for the big moments last year. But I won't forget about Game 7 of the ECF, which still has a lingering-ill effect on me.

If you had just shown up in that game we would've eliminated LeBron James.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2018, 04:43:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Ok bye bye Rozier. Thank you for the big moments last year. But I won't forget about Game 7 of the ECF, which still has a lingering-ill effect on me.

He heavily outperformed expectations the entire year.
I'll take some good, and some more good, with the bad.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Of course Rozier is insurance against an Irving injury, but also in an indirect way insurance against a Smart, Brown, Tatum, or Hayward injury.

What I mean by that is say Hayward or Tatum gets injured Brown or even Smart for that matter can easily play more of the wing/forward position opening up playing time for Rozier at the 2 spot as well as backup PG minutes.  If say Brown gets hurt I think Rozier can easily play alongside Irving in a starting role.  Of course if Smart gets hurt Rozier can eat up most of the back up guard minutes behind Irving and Brown.

Over the course of a long season there are going to be enough opportunities to play significant playing time.  Maybe not starting minutes but close enough, and if you are playing important minutes on a contender that is more important for some players.

What it comes down to is if Rozier is content to play that role, and if ownership is willing to go deep in the tax to retain the best possible team for the near future.

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Of course Rozier is insurance against an Irving injury, but also in an indirect way insurance against a Smart, Brown, Tatum, or Hayward injury.

What I mean by that is say Hayward or Tatum gets injured Brown or even Smart for that matter can easily play more of the wing/forward position opening up playing time for Rozier at the 2 spot as well as backup PG minutes.  If say Brown gets hurt I think Rozier can easily play alongside Irving in a starting role.  Of course if Smart gets hurt Rozier can eat up most of the back up guard minutes behind Irving and Brown.

Over the course of a long season there are going to be enough opportunities to play significant playing time.  Maybe not starting minutes but close enough, and if you are playing important minutes on a contender that is more important for some players.

What it comes down to is if Rozier is content to play that role, and if ownership is willing to go deep in the tax to retain the best possible team for the near future.

This is exactly my pitch if I got to make one, and it really is a pitch from a fan to everybody concerned.

Owners need to believe he's worth the tax, which means he is a key piece to contending/winning.

Danny needs to see how he fits and makes the whole work better and is worth securing long term.

Stevens needs to see how he adds versatility.

He needs to appreciate playing 28 minutes with us into the Finals for something closer to Smart money than 20 (maybe 15?) and getting playoff pay plus guaranteed national tv exposure is far, far superior to being the starting PG in Phoenix, never making the playoffs, and getting one nationally televised game each year, but for $20M. Screw that.

Re: What can trading Rozier can get us? (Wants $20 million per season)
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Trade him and dont look back. Get a 2020 pick and any solid backup guard. Use pick in package for Davis

20 mill a year is ridiculous

This^

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2018, 12:08:26 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

selective memory ....... usual fan disease

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He [Rozier] needs to appreciate playing 28 minutes with us into the Finals for something closer to Smart money than 20 (maybe 15?) and getting playoff pay plus guaranteed national tv exposure is far, far superior to being the starting PG in Phoenix, never making the playoffs, and getting one nationally televised game each year, but for $20M. Screw that.

You honestly believe that being a backup as opposed to a starter, playing less minutes, and making significantly less money is a more desirable path for Rozier? Just because he'd get a better chance at winning, and more national exposure?

I seriously doubt Rozier shares that sentiment, nor should he.

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He [Rozier] needs to appreciate playing 28 minutes with us into the Finals for something closer to Smart money than 20 (maybe 15?) and getting playoff pay plus guaranteed national tv exposure is far, far superior to being the starting PG in Phoenix, never making the playoffs, and getting one nationally televised game each year, but for $20M. Screw that.

You honestly believe that being a backup as opposed to a starter, playing less minutes, and making significantly less money is a more desirable path for Rozier? Just because he'd get a better chance at winning, and more national exposure?

I seriously doubt Rozier shares that sentiment, nor should he.

Yeah, I think most young guys -- rightfully, in my opinion -- are going to value playing time and money over starting.

Later in their careers, when they're wildly rich and well-established, is the time when most guys start appreciating the chance at a ring.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes