Celtics
15 (42.9%)
Sixers
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 10, 2019, 10:02:31 AM

Author Topic: 2019 Playoff Predictions Thread  (Read 6766 times)

Re: 2019 Playoff Predictions Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
EAST

Round 1

MIL (1) vs DET (8 ) -- MIL in 6
TOR (2) vs ORL (7) -- TOR in 4
PHI (3) vs BRK (6) -- PHI in 7
BOS (4) vs Indy (5) -- BOS in 4

ECS

MIL (1) vs BOS (4) -- Boston in 6
TOR (2) vs PHI (3) -- PHI in 6

ECF

Boston (4) vs PHI (3) -- Boston in 6

WEST

Round 1

GSW (1) vs LAC (8 ) -- GSW in 5
DEN (2) vs SAS (7) -- DEN in 6
POR (3) vs OKC (6) -- OKC in 6
HOU (4) vs UTA (5) -- HOU in 6

WCS

GSW (1) vs HOU (4) -- GSW in 7
DEN (2) vs OKC (6) -- OKC in 6

WCF

GSW (1) vs OKC (6) -- OKC in 7

FINALS
Boston versus OKC

Boston wins in 6 games

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:56:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We're winning the title!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I see a lot of people picking the Thunder to make a deep run, including a few predictions that they will push and/or beat the Warriors.  I'll admit that the standings worked out perfectly in their favor.  That said, I feel like I'm missing something.  What reason is there to believe that OKC wont be bogged down by awful ball movement, turnovers, and mediocre perimeter shooting during late game stretches?  Paul George needs to be superhuman for them to make the Finals. 

It all boils down to Westbrook for me.  His career splits in close playoff games (5 minutes to go with 5 point margin or less) are absolutely atrocious.  I can't see his game changing after nearly a decade of the same results.  On top of that, his athleticism isn't quite the same as it was a couple of years ago.  I hope I'm completely wrong but I see nothing but groundhog day in OKC.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 10:37:24 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I see a lot of people picking the Thunder to make a deep run, including a few predictions that they will push and/or beat the Warriors.  I'll admit that the standings worked out perfectly in their favor.  That said, I feel like I'm missing something.  What reason is there to believe that OKC wont be bogged down by awful ball movement, turnovers, and mediocre perimeter shooting during late game stretches?  Paul George needs to be superhuman for them to make the Finals. 

It all boils down to Westbrook for me.  His career splits in close playoff games (5 minutes to go with 5 point margin or less) are absolutely atrocious.  I can't see his game changing after nearly a decade of the same results.  On top of that, his athleticism isn't quite the same as it was a couple of years ago.  I hope I'm completely wrong but I see nothing but groundhog day in OKC.

I think OKC is primed for a deep run because it seems that Westbrook is currently at the peak of his prime and putting HUGE numbers. Also, Paul George (though struggled down the stretch) has had his best season since his season in Indiana when they made it to the ECF vs Miami back in 2014. As the rotations tighten in the playoffs, a three headed monster of Russ/George/Adams is pretty darn good. Not to mention the supporting cast of Schroeder, Grant, Morris, Ferguson and Noel.

That said, I think this is Houston's year. Harden has been too good and this year, they actually put an emphasis in defense (or so I noticed when I was at the game in Boston back in March.) Chris Paul just needs to stay healthy. Plus Capela is a very good center

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I think OKC is primed for a deep run because it seems that Westbrook is currently at the peak of his prime and putting HUGE numbers. Also, Paul George (though struggled down the stretch) has had his best season since his season in Indiana when they made it to the ECF vs Miami back in 2014. As the rotations tighten in the playoffs, a three headed monster of Russ/George/Adams is pretty darn good. Not to mention the supporting cast of Schroeder, Grant, Morris, Ferguson and Noel.

That said, I think this is Houston's year. Harden has been too good and this year, they actually put an emphasis in defense (or so I noticed when I was at the game in Boston back in March.) Chris Paul just needs to stay healthy. Plus Capela is a very good center

I disagree with you about Westbrook being in his prime.  His last prime season was two years ago (the first triple double season).  He simply can't attack the basket with the same reckless abandon of years past.  I'll admit that his post All-Star break number were encouraging, although the team played worse after the break.  This is mostly due to a cold stretch from PG-13.

The Thunder played better basketball when Westbrook was posting career worst shooting splits in December and January.  I'm taking this as an indicator that Paul George was playing at a level that isn't sustainable in the playoffs.

Keep an eye on free throw rate in the first round.  This is where Westbrook declined the most this season.     

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I disagree with you about Westbrook being in his prime.  His last prime season was two years ago (the first triple double season).  He simply can't attack the basket with the same reckless abandon of years past.  I'll admit that his post All-Star break number were encouraging, although the team played worse after the break.  This is mostly due to a cold stretch from PG-13.

The Thunder played better basketball when Westbrook was posting career worst shooting splits in December and January.  I'm taking this as an indicator that Paul George was playing at a level that isn't sustainable in the playoffs.

Keep an eye on free throw rate in the first round.  This is where Westbrook declined the most this season.     

You're probably right about that. I guess I was probably thinking more about how Westbrook has matured this season, sharing the ball with his teammates, more so than in years past.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think the idea is that they have two top players plus a lot of athleticism / size elsewhere on the roster.

That reasoning only works, in my view, if you think Russell Westbrook is a top player.  I don't.  A top talent yes, a top player in terms of impacting winning, no.

The Thunder are an awful offensive team with a great defense.  That can win you a series against a comparable opponent.  They don't have a chance against Golden State or Houston.  I don't think they could keep up with Denver, either.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 11:56:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Seems there's more than one thread on this -- merge opportunity?

EAST:
Milwaukee vs Detroit --> MIl in 4
Toronto vs Orlando --> Tor in 4
Philadelphia vs Brooklyn --> Phil in 6
Boston vs Indiana --> Bos in 5

Mil vs Bos --> Bos in 6
Tor vs Phil --> Tor in 5

Tor vs Bos --> Tor in 7

WEST:
Golden State vs LA Clippers  --> GSW in 4
Denver vs San Antonio  -->  Den in 5
Portland vs Oklahoma City  --> OKC in 6
Houston vs Utah --> Hou in 5

GSW vs Hou --> GSW in 7
Den vs OKC --> Den in 7

GSW vs Den --> GSW in 7

FINALS
Tor vs GSW  --> Tor in 7     Home Court will matter for that game 7 win

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know if I"d pick OKC against any team other than Portland. I think its an awful matchup for Portland, especially with the Nurkic injury.

Westbrook could cost them the series, but if George is healthy I think OKC should win.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 12:16:21 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

(click on image to enlarge)

Eastern Conference

Round 1

MIL (1) vs DET (8 ) -- MIL in 5
TOR (2) vs ORL (7) -- TOR in 5
PHI (3) vs BRK (6) -- PHI in 6
BOS (4) vs INDY (5) -- BOS in 7

Round 2

MIL (1) vs BOS (4) -- MIL in 7
TOR (2) vs PHI (3) -- TOR in 6

Round 3

MIL (1) vs TOR (2) -- MIL in 7

Western Conference

Round 1

GSW (1) vs LAC (8 ) -- GSW in 4
DEN (2) vs SAS (7) -- SAS in 6
POR (3) vs OKC (6) -- POR in 7
HOU (4) vs UTAH (5) -- UTAH in 6

Round 2

GSW (1) vs UTAH (5) -- GSW in 5
POR (3) vs SAS (7) -- SAS in 6

Round 3

GSW (1) vs SAS (7) -- GSW in 4

Finals

MIL vs GSW -- GSW in 6

Finals MVP: Steph
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:44:09 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Feel pretty confident about this bracket:

Eastern Conference

Round 1

MIL (1) vs DET (8 ) -- MIL in 4
TOR (2) vs ORL (7) -- TOR in 4
PHI (3) vs BRK (6) -- PHI in 5
BOS (4) vs INDY (5) -- BOS in 5

Round 2

MIL (1) vs BOS (4) -- BOS in 6
TOR (2) vs PHI (3) -- TOR in 5

Round 3

BOS (4) vs TOR (2) -- BOS in 6

Western Conference

Round 1

GSW (1) vs LAC (8 ) -- GSW in 4
DEN (2) vs SAS (7) -- DEN in 5
POR (3) vs OKC (6) -- OKC in 6
HOU (4) vs UTAH (5) -- HOU in 5

Round 2

GSW (1) vs HOU (4) -- GSW in 6
DEN (2) vs OKC (6) -- DEN in 6

Round 3

GSW (1) vs DEN (2) -- GSW in 6

Finals

BOS vs GSW -- GSW in 7

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't know if I"d pick OKC against any team other than Portland. I think its an awful matchup for Portland, especially with the Nurkic injury.

Westbrook could cost them the series, but if George is healthy I think OKC should win.

Yeah, I'd love to see Portland win.  I really want them to succeed.  Nobody deserves it more than Lillard.  Definitely a bad matchup for them though.

On the other hand, they've got home court advantage and the best player in the series.  Paul George has an argument that he's better than Lillard, but I'd take Dame.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I really want to pick the Celtics and I think they have the talent to win it all if they play to their potential. But this season has not convinced me they're going to play to their potential.

1st Round-EAST

Milwaukee beats Detroit in 4
Toronto beats Orlando in 5
Philly beats Brooklyn in 6
Boston beats Indy in 5

1st Round-WEST

GS beats LA in 4
Denver beats San Antonio in 6
OKC beats Portland in 5
Houston beats Utah in 5

2nd Round-EAST

Milwaukee beats Boston in 6
Toronto beats Philly in 6

2nd round-WEST

GS beats Houston in 7
Denver beats OKC in 6

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

Milwaukee beats Toronto in 7

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

GS beats Denver in 6

NBA FINALS

GS beats Milwaukee in 7

Golden State wins it all one last time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think OKC is primed for a deep run because it seems that Westbrook is currently at the peak of his prime and putting HUGE numbers.

HUGEly inefficient numbers?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I think OKC is primed for a deep run because it seems that Westbrook is currently at the peak of his prime and putting HUGE numbers.

HUGEly inefficient numbers?

HUGE turnover numbers.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008