Author Topic: IP Ranks The Pick-Two Teams By Divison (All Divisions Are Up)  (Read 92218 times)

Re: IP Ranks The Pick-Two Teams By Divison (All Divisions Are Up)
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Anybody want to take wagers on how this one ends up?

Which one is 'this one'?

The whole shebang.  "IP's Playoffs" seem to have a pretty predictable finish. ;)

haha yeah...with me getting sick of it and quitting.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Which one is 'this one'?

The whole shebang.  "IP's Playoffs" seem to have a pretty predictable finish. ;)

No, don't quit.

« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Which one is 'this one'?

The whole shebang.  "IP's Playoffs" seem to have a pretty predictable finish. ;)

You could do it like one of those crappy TV series finales, where you get to Game 7 of the Finals, the Knicks are down by one with two seconds left, Kyle Lowry shoots, and...  fade to black.

Because, you know, that's artsy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Ok, IP - I think I see what you meant, with the backcourt writeup.

« Reply #274 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Which one is 'this one'?

The whole shebang.  "IP's Playoffs" seem to have a pretty predictable finish. ;)

You could do it like one of those crappy TV series finales, where you get to Game 7 of the Finals, the Knicks are down by one with two seconds left, Kyle Lowry shoots, and...  fade to black.

Because, you know, that's artsy.

It's not about if you win or lose, it's how you p--- off your audience.

« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ho Hum...

When do the Cavs get to beat some team's butt so we can take on the Knicks and be beaten by IP's obvious bias.
Just want to reiterate this  ;D

« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Ho Hum...

When do the Cavs get to beat some team's butt so we can take on the Knicks and be beaten by IP's obvious bias.
Just want to reiterate this  ;D

Yep, better team wins.

« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Playoffs, Misc noteables

EAST:
Knicks (1) V Wizards (8)
                                 Knicks (1) V Cavs (4)
Cavs (4) V Hawks (5)

_________________

Heat (2) V Celtics (7)
                               Heat (2) V Magic (3)
Magic (3) V Pacers (6)

WEST:

Spurs (1) V Suns (8)
                              Spurs (1) V Blazers (5)
T-Wolves (4) V Blazers (5)

________________________

Thunder (2) V Clippers (7)
                              Thunder (2) V Grizzlies (6)
Lakers (3) V Grizzles (6)

Magic/Heat is up first.
Except for the Griz/Lakers matchup this looks right.

WCF have to be Thunder/Spurs

ECF should be Heat/Cavs but I'm guessing a different outcome after Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney and Tom Bernhardt are assigned to the last two games of the series by David Stern...oops I mean IP.  ;)

« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
You don't think West comes around by playoffs?

Cuz...ya did this summer.

I know people are high on Marc Gasol, but in my mind, GF's Grizzlies are a downgrade from the "real" Grizzlies (when healthy), and those Grizzlies are barely a playoff team.

Fale, when that team's entirely healthy, they're the third best team in the western conference. But the rest of your eval is spot on. Especially when you consider that DWest has never had a playoffs like Zbo just did.

I'm with Bill Simmons, I think the Grizzlies are the team to beat in the West if Zach Randolph comes back 100%

« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Matchup 2.1 (present for Nick)

New York Knicks (1, H) V Cle Cavs (4, A)
Kyle Lowry V Kyrie Irving
Brandon Rush V Landry ‘Clark’ Fields
Tayshaun Prince V Luol Deng
Paul Millsap V Kris Humphries
Dwight Howard V Andrew Bynum
~Bench~
Luke Ridnour V Earl Watson
Klay Thompson V George Hill
Corey Brewer V Sam Young
Jon Brockman V Brandon Bass
Birdman V Matt Bonner

Key Matchup: Kyle Lowry V Kyrie Irving
Kyrie Irving is a heck of a young player. Very gifted scorer, not a bad passer, and a guy with as much or more potential than anyone we’ve seen since Chris Paul and Deron Williams started redefining the position. Kyle Lowry is a bit less of an enigma, but more of a well-rounded player. He’s a better defender, he’s already the best player on a team that looks to have a playoff-spot all but locked up, and his offense is finally coming along. I wouldn’t call this a wash, because I flat out think Lowry is the better player right now, and I think his defense should have a measuring effect against Irving, but since they haven’t played each other yet, I’ve got nothing but conjecture to base that on. Their TS% are about the same, with Irving shooting better from outside, and Lowry passing a little better. Slight edge Lowry.

Key Matchup: Luol Deng V Tayshaun Prince
Of course Deng is the better player right now. Sure he is. I’m not contesting that. Buuuuttt…..look at the numbers when they play each other:
23 games. They’re both clear 3’s, they play roughly the same # of minutes per game (against each other), and they both start. Tayshaun is older, but he’s looked to have aged pretty darn well when it comes to playing against Luol Deng. They score similarly, they rebound similarly, they pass similarly. Guess what? I’m calling this one A WASHHHHHH! Should be a big win for Deng, but Prince has proven he’s capable of playing Deng pretty well over the years (he’s outscored him in every one of the last 3 contests).

Key Matchup: Paul Millsap V Kris Humphries
Well now its my turn to be disappointed. While Millsap has shown that he’s able to score on just about anyone, anytime, anywhere inside the 3pt line, Kris Humphries apparently plays pretty well against Paul Millsap. Yes, they’ve only played 7 times, yes, only one of those times have come when both players are starters and playing 30 minutes or more, but Kris Humphries doesn’t play a whole lot of center, and neither does Paul Millsap. Until we see a clear trend one way or another, I have to think neither player is going to really destroy the other one here, with Millsap generally scoring a couple more points, and Humphries generally getting a couple more boards.

Key-est Match-up Part A: Dwight Howard V Andrew Bynum
Andrew Bynum is having a coming out party this season, and I don’t mean as a cheap-shot artist with questionable motor and a fragile physical makeup. No, I mean as a baller. Bynum is arguably the second best center in the NBA. There is a reason he was taken 1st in the Pick-Two draft.
And Dwight Howard owns him. Against Howard, Bynum commits 4 fouls in 20 minutes, shoots below his career averages while he’s out there, while Howard stays on the floor, and shoots his career #’s even when Bynum is out there. HUGE win for the Knicks.

Key-est Match-Up Part B: Dwight Howard V Matt Bonner
This is a massacre of epic proportions. Krstic is a viable backup center (not against Howard, but I digest..), Bonner is absolutely not. Howard will kill Bonner on defense, and he’ll switch off him when the Cavs have the ball, allowing whoever is playing the 4 to switch onto him while Howard guards one of Humphries/Bass. It’s a trainwreck.

Bench: I don’t think either bench has any super-high impact players, and I don’t think anyone on either bench doesn’t belong there, or is being asked to do more than they’re able. Both benches are populated with able players. Both teams, I feel, have well defined roles for their subs, and I see it as a wash, excepting the center situation.

How I See It Playing Out: Five, Maybe Six competitive games, ending in a Knicks win. They’ve got no answer to Howard, even though the teams 1-4 stack up very evenly.

« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Matchup 2.1 (present for Nick)

New York Knicks (1, H) V Cle Cavs (4, A)
Kyle Lowry V Kyrie Irving
Brandon Rush V Landry ‘Clark’ Fields
Tayshaun Prince V Luol Deng
Paul Millsap V Kris Humphries
Dwight Howard V Andrew Bynum
~Bench~
Luke Ridnour V Earl Watson
Klay Thompson V George Hill
Corey Brewer V Sam Young
Jon Brockman V Brandon Bass
Birdman V Matt Bonner

Key Matchup: Kyle Lowry V Kyrie Irving
Kyrie Irving is a heck of a young player. Very gifted scorer, not a bad passer, and a guy with as much or more potential than anyone we’ve seen since Chris Paul and Deron Williams started redefining the position. Kyle Lowry is a bit less of an enigma, but more of a well-rounded player. He’s a better defender, he’s already the best player on a team that looks to have a playoff-spot all but locked up, and his offense is finally coming along. I wouldn’t call this a wash, because I flat out think Lowry is the better player right now, and I think his defense should have a measuring effect against Irving, but since they haven’t played each other yet, I’ve got nothing but conjecture to base that on. Their TS% are about the same, with Irving shooting better from outside, and Lowry passing a little better. Slight edge Lowry.

Key Matchup: Luol Deng V Tayshaun Prince
Of course Deng is the better player right now. Sure he is. I’m not contesting that. Buuuuttt…..look at the numbers when they play each other:
23 games. They’re both clear 3’s, they play roughly the same # of minutes per game (against each other), and they both start. Tayshaun is older, but he’s looked to have aged pretty darn well when it comes to playing against Luol Deng. They score similarly, they rebound similarly, they pass similarly. Guess what? I’m calling this one A WASHHHHHH! Should be a big win for Deng, but Prince has proven he’s capable of playing Deng pretty well over the years (he’s outscored him in every one of the last 3 contests).

Key Matchup: Paul Millsap V Kris Humphries
Well now its my turn to be disappointed. While Millsap has shown that he’s able to score on just about anyone, anytime, anywhere inside the 3pt line, Kris Humphries apparently plays pretty well against Paul Millsap. Yes, they’ve only played 7 times, yes, only one of those times have come when both players are starters and playing 30 minutes or more, but Kris Humphries doesn’t play a whole lot of center, and neither does Paul Millsap. Until we see a clear trend one way or another, I have to think neither player is going to really destroy the other one here, with Millsap generally scoring a couple more points, and Humphries generally getting a couple more boards.

Key-est Match-up Part A: Dwight Howard V Andrew Bynum
Andrew Bynum is having a coming out party this season, and I don’t mean as a cheap-shot artist with questionable motor and a fragile physical makeup. No, I mean as a baller. Bynum is arguably the second best center in the NBA. There is a reason he was taken 1st in the Pick-Two draft.
And Dwight Howard owns him. Against Howard, Bynum commits 4 fouls in 20 minutes, shoots below his career averages while he’s out there, while Howard stays on the floor, and shoots his career #’s even when Bynum is out there. HUGE win for the Knicks.

Key-est Match-Up Part B: Dwight Howard V Matt Bonner
This is a massacre of epic proportions. Krstic is a viable backup center (not against Howard, but I digest..), Bonner is absolutely not. Howard will kill Bonner on defense, and he’ll switch off him when the Cavs have the ball, allowing whoever is playing the 4 to switch onto him while Howard guards one of Humphries/Bass. It’s a trainwreck.

Bench: I don’t think either bench has any super-high impact players, and I don’t think anyone on either bench doesn’t belong there, or is being asked to do more than they’re able. Both benches are populated with able players. Both teams, I feel, have well defined roles for their subs, and I see it as a wash, excepting the center situation.

How I See It Playing Out: Five, Maybe Six competitive games, ending in a Knicks win. They’ve got no answer to Howard, even though the teams 1-4 stack up very evenly.

:o :o Big surprise. :o :o

I was actually expecting a four game sweep. :D

Mr. Stern deigned to allow the refs to give us one or maybe 2 games. Maybe. ;)

« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I seem to remember in the CB Draft using the "You got no answer for" LeBron argument and having it get shot down by IP even though he was comically claiming Delfino and Derrick Williams could contain LeBron and now he's bringing it out for the Howard/Bynum matchup even though he admits Bynum the second best center in the league.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Personally I think its a coin flip of a seven game series and given that New York would have home court that maybe, maybe the Knicks would pull it out.

« Reply #282 on: March 01, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I seem to remember in the CB Draft using the "You got no answer for" LeBron argument and having it get shot down by IP even though he was comically claiming Delfino and Derrick Williams could contain LeBron and now he's bringing it out for the Howard/Bynum matchup even though he admits Bynum the second best center in the league.

Personally I think its a coin flip of a seven game series and given that New York would have home court that maybe, maybe the Knicks would pull it out.

Well, then humor me. Tell me, in as many words as I used or more, with research, how that comes out.

Because I'm not seeing it.

EDIT: ANNNND the 'I have no answer for LeBron, but I'll still win' debate only works if you're clearly better across the board elsewise. It doesn't work for you here, cuz A) you're pitted against me in MY rankings, and B) you're not better across the board elsewise, in fact, you're not even better across the board. For this season, this year, Lowry/Rush/Prince/Millsap > Irving/Fields/Deng/Humphries

« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well, then humor me. Tell me, in as many words as I used or more, with research, how that comes out.

EDIT: ANNNND the 'I have no answer for LeBron, but I'll still win' debate only works if you're clearly better across the board elsewise. Cuz, you're not.
And neither were you in the CB Draft.

« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

EDIT: ANNNND the 'I have no answer for LeBron, but I'll still win' debate only works if you're clearly better across the board elsewise. Cuz, you're not.
And neither were you in the CB Draft.

Lowry>Billups
Harden>whoever you had playing there, doesn't matter
LeBron
STAT>Millsap? Millsap is having the better year.
Bogut<Bynum

I'll take the hit on Bogut, and I'm not going to argue Stat V Millsap cuz with Stat's recent play I don't have a leg to stand on.

But I maintain that with the available facts at the time, it was a valid argument.

Kinda like Danny Ainge's Perkins trade.