Author Topic: Manny to the Dodgers?  (Read 16546 times)

Re: Manny to the Dodgers?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 03:19:19 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
the matt kemp thing opened my eyes for a couple seconds, but i'll be really p---ed if they get rid of manny. he's a fan favorite (despite what anyone says) and hes not a problem in the locker room. He has his moments, this year more than others, but something else this year:

wasn't late for camp
worked out super hard
started off the season hot

and as its been said before "MANNY = CHAMPIONSHIPS" without manny ramirez davis ortiz isn't half the hitter he is right now, this lineup is solid at best, we won't get to the world series, no more fun manny moments, and 2 months ago he said he wanted to finish his career here and have 24 hung up in the Red Sox organization. this guy doesn't wanna be traded, hes just insulted by theo's openness and willingness to trade him away every season, and he feels that the front office isn't giving him what he deserves. Maybe manny is right, and if i knew what the hell he was saying i'd love to hear his side of the story.

STOP TRASHING MANNY
STOP TALKING TRADE ABOUT MANNY
IN MY BOOK MANNY SHOULD BE RESIGNED FOR THE END OF HIS CAREER HERE

(1)   (4)  (8)   (9)    (24)    (27)    (42)

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
My problem with Manny being Manny lately is that it is so clear that he cares more about his contract than winning games.  That is why this episode of MBM is different from the rest and more divisive to the team.  I am in the trade Manny camp.  Our strenght is our starting pitching.  We go as far as our pitching takes us.  With or without Manny, we don't slug our way the the World Series.

As far as the logistics of a trade, think 3-team.  The team that wants Manny isn't going to want to give up a contributor.  So one team takes Manny, sends young players or prospects to a second team (the second team is out of any race), and the second team sends a productive veteran to the Red Sox along with a relief pitcher.  Maybe the Sox send a prospect to the second team too to make it all work.  So a contending team gets Manny for prospects, a bad team gets prospects for a veteran and a pitcher, and the Sox trade Manny and a prospect for a decent outfielder and decent (preferably lefty) relief pitcher.

I know that all trades are much easier said than done but there are several contending teams and several team that are out of it so they can make this happen.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
SI.com reports that the Dodgers and Red Sox are currently having discussions about Manny Ramirez.
The talks are said to be in the early stages, and there are said to be a number of obstacles that still need to be cleared. The Red Sox are probably looking for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier, and the Dodgers would like to rid themselves of Andruw Jones' salary.
Green 18!

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 01:57:36 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
SI.com reports that the Dodgers and Red Sox are currently having discussions about Manny Ramirez.
The talks are said to be in the early stages, and there are said to be a number of obstacles that still need to be cleared. The Red Sox are probably looking for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier, and the Dodgers would like to rid themselves of Andruw Jones' salary.

I still think this trade is very unlikely to actually occur, but I would have to assume it would go something like us giving up manny and paying his salary for the rest of the year, and us getting back a kemp, and prospect or two.  I dont think they would take jones as part of the trade, as that is simply too much money for a worthless player.

I think this is a situation where there are to many moving parts with not enough time to get done.  the sox may well be just throwing these things out there to attempt to appease manny and say we tried...

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If we have to pick up Manny's contract and take on Andrew Jones contract, I want Kershaw, Broxton and Kemp.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

If we have to pick up Manny's contract and take on Andrew Jones contract, I want Kershaw, Broxton and Kemp.

I think it's probably one or the other:  either we pay Manny's salary, or we take on another team's bad salary (in this case, Jones).  I doubt we'd do both.

I agree with Tom Verducci's perspective:

The facts are that Ramirez is still an impact hitter in fine shape at age 36 and is signed, at the club's options, at money that is not prohibitive. The Red Sox would pay him $20 million a year for the next two years. To put that into context, Andruw Jones, Torii Hunter, Ichiro Suzuki and Vernon Wells are $18 million a year players.

Put Ramirez on the free-agent market this year (exactly what Ramirez wants) and he's probably a $20 million a year player over four years. Getting him at two years and $40 million, as Boston does, is smart money.

Link.

The best option is to just keep Manny, especially since he's on a reasonable deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
but don’t you think the sox picking up his options would put him over the deep end? You can't want a guy who has been to quit on his team mates when he’s not happy to be unhappy for the next two and a half seasons. I say there is no way the sox pick up his option. The question is do you keep him and try to win this year and take the 2 picks? That might be better than any trade even though i do like Kemp a lot.
Green 18!

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:04 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

STOP TRASHING MANNY
STOP TALKING TRADE ABOUT MANNY
IN MY BOOK MANNY SHOULD BE RESIGNED FOR THE END OF HIS CAREER HERE

(1)   (4)  ( 8 )   (9)    (24)    (27)    (42)

I agree with these numbers, but the #24 should be for Dewey and the #14 should also be there.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
but don’t you think the sox picking up his options would put him over the deep end? You can't want a guy who has been to quit on his team mates when he’s not happy to be unhappy for the next two and a half seasons. I say there is no way the sox pick up his option. The question is do you keep him and try to win this year and take the 2 picks? That might be better than any trade even though i do like Kemp a lot.

No, it would put Scott Boras over the deep end.  Before Manny hired Boras and even at the beginning of the season, he wanted the Sox to pick up his options (but he wanted them to pick up both, not just one).  Now with Boras not being able to make any money if the Sox pick up Manny's options, I really think Boras has convinced Manny that he could get him a multi-year deal worth more than the two options if the Sox don't pick up his options.

I say stick it to the scumbag Boras and pick up Manny's options.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson