Author Topic: Rumor: Youkilis for Texiera?  (Read 15233 times)

Re: Rumor: Youkilis for Texiera?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 06:13:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
As long as Theo is convinced that Ortiz is healthy, the move isn't necessary.  The Sox are only a game or two of the pace from having the best record in baseball and Ortiz has missed over a month and a half.  As long as they're healthy, they should be the favorites to win it all this year without Texiera.  He may look like an upgrade, but so did the likes of Edgar Renteria and Eric Gagne until it became apparent they couldn't handle the glare of the spotlight that comes with playing in Fenway.  No need to risk that at this point. 

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've been wondering how well-liked Youk is in the dugout though. After that Manny incident it seemed like no one had his back and basically blamed him for the entire thing. I personally don't like his attitude, he's always complaining. I'd do that trade in a second if we knew we could sign texiera

That's ridicolous!  There is no one who plays with as much passion as Youk does and leaves it all on the field.  I think Youk is the most underrated, underappreciated player in MLB. Texeira is just an overpaid, overrated Boras client.

No thanks

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Dumb move, youkilis is a redsox for life. He will also demand less money than teixera. Youkilis at first is top 3 1b right now no doubt

Youkilis no doubt deserves a yearly rate of 9-11 million but of course the sox will try to frugal their way with him.

we need to sign youk to a 5 or 6 year deal at 10 million per season, you can't deny he can hit, he is clutch, he has championship experience and only 1 error in i don't know how many games. He gets it done

Well said Triboy!  I don't know what's wrong with other people on this site but to put a price tag on Youk's head and simply just trade him for an overpaid player is ridicolous. What about all the clutch hits and plays Youk has made for the Red Sox?  We forget about that huh?

And this is the same site where fans originally didn't want to trade Jefferson and Gomes for KG..but trading Youk for Texeira is okay.

I don't get it.....

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 11:02:23 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
i would rather trade lowell and hansen and move youk to third and texiera at first...but i dont think atlanta would want an old lowell.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
That's ridicolous!  There is no one who plays with as much passion as Youk does and leaves it all on the field.  I think Youk is the most underrated, underappreciated player in MLB. Texeira is just an overpaid, overrated Boras client.

No thanks

Do you have any sources inside the Red Sox organization that say that Youk's attitude isn't an issue?  If not, you're just putting your opinion up against another persons opinion that may be backed by fact.  Which one is ridiculous again?

I'd be all for this deal.  Texeira has more natural talent and power than Youk who is playing over his head.  We'd be losing a good defensive corner infielder who can hit for a middle of the lineup power bat, good defensive corner infielder.  Also, for those of you who forget, he was drafted as a third baseman, was well-noted for his defense there and only moved to first because the Rangers had Hank Blalock.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:42:20 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 11:57:04 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
As long as Theo is convinced that Ortiz is healthy, the move isn't necessary.  The Sox are only a game or two of the pace from having the best record in baseball and Ortiz has missed over a month and a half.  As long as they're healthy, they should be the favorites to win it all this year without Texiera.  He may look like an upgrade, but so did the likes of Edgar Renteria and Eric Gagne until it became apparent they couldn't handle the glare of the spotlight that comes with playing in Fenway.  No need to risk that at this point. 

Bingo.  His wrist will decide if we need to get a bat or not.  If we do, a guy like Texiera would fit the bill.  I'd be really torn if this became a real possibility though.  It's tough to let go of a hard worker and All-Star like Youk.  Then again that is a great bat to give up on in Texiera. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:04 AM »

Offline cmburrill

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
No, he isn't better defensively.

Texiera:
2x Gold Glove Award winner (2005, 2006)

Defense isn't even very important in baseball, it's nice, but it doesn't win Championships like it can in Basketball.

Defense is not as important but you  need both to win. Celtics had the biggest margin of Victory during their season. They were one of top defensive teams...but they had a great offensive team as well. You will not find a modern world series team that did not have or use defense as a strat. , be it late in the game or situational.

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
i would rather trade lowell and hansen and move youk to third and texiera at first...but i dont think atlanta would want an old lowell.

I would do this one as well, but like you said, Atlanta wouldn't.  I would not trade Youk for Texeira.  The Sox need a corner outfielder with Power if they are not going to trade Lowell.  I'm not really a fan of Holliday(sp), but I think he would fit the Sox better. Can just plug him right into LF after this season. 

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I would do this one as well, but like you said, Atlanta wouldn't.  I would not trade Youk for Texeira.  The Sox need a corner outfielder with Power if they are not going to trade Lowell.  I'm not really a fan of Holliday(sp), but I think he would fit the Sox better. Can just plug him right into LF after this season. 

The braves would never make this deal in a million years.  The Point of the Youk for Texeira deal is that they get back a first basemen making 300,000 dollars for the next 3 years that can hit for power and is good defensively.  They would not take an aging 3rd basemen who is making over 10 million a year when they already have Chipper Jones.  Why on earth would Atlanta make this move?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
The braves would never make this deal in a million years.  The Point of the Youk for Texeira deal is that they get back a first basemen making 300,000 dollars for the next 3 years that can hit for power and is good defensively.  They would not take an aging 3rd basemen who is making over 10 million a year when they already have Chipper Jones.  Why on earth would Atlanta make this move?

If I was to guess, he's saying that they need to deal Lowell for a power corner bat, I don't think he's suggesting trading Lowell for Tex.

With that said, I disagree with him.  Texeira IS a power bat, one of the only switch hitters in the game to have gone for 30 HRs and 100 RBI.  I think he'd be great in Boston, but it's still not worth it to talk about it at this point, because no way does Atlanta do this deal.

I'm also pretty sure that Holliday's home/road splits are terrible...and...yeah they are.

2008 Home (48 games):  .376 BA, .452 OBP, .677 SLUG, 1.129 OPS (!!), 12 HR, 46 RBI
2008 Road (41 games):  .303 BA, .403 OBP, .450 SLUG, .853 OPS, 5 HR, 14 RBI

Career Home (334 games):  .365 BA, .429 OBP, .664 SLUG, 1.093 OPS, 81 HR, 294 RBI
Career Road (314 games):  .278 BA, .343 OBP, .448 SLUG, .790 OPS, 39 HR, 161 RBI

Matt Holliday should resign in Colorado for whatever they offer him.  He plays there his whole career he's going to the Hall of Fame.  He leaves, you have the second coming of Jay Payton on your hands, except with a much bigger pricetag.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

If I was to guess, he's saying that they need to deal Lowell for a power corner bat, I don't think he's suggesting trading Lowell for Tex.

With that said, I disagree with him.  Texeira IS a power bat, one of the only switch hitters in the game to have gone for 30 HRs and 100 RBI.  I think he'd be great in Boston, but it's still not worth it to talk about it at this point, because no way does Atlanta do this deal.

I'm also pretty sure that Holliday's home/road splits are terrible...and...yeah they are.

2008 Home (48 games):  .376 BA, .452 OBP, .677 SLUG, 1.129 OPS (!!), 12 HR, 46 RBI

Career Home (334 games):  .365 BA, .429 OBP, .664 SLUG, 1.093 OPS, 81 HR, 294 RBI
Career Road (314 games):  .278 BA, .343 OBP, .448 SLUG, .790 OPS, 39 HR, 161 RBI

Matt Holliday should resign in Colorado for whatever they offer him.  He plays there his whole career he's going to the Hall of Fame.  He leaves, you have the second coming of Jay Payton on your hands, except with a much bigger pricetag.

i still don't get why people want to morgage 4 guys for a bat we don't really need at this exact moment (with youk and lowell in his 2 preferred spots) when we can make a run at him for free in 2 months, possably to play left/ move youk to left, whatever, depending on what we do with manny's option.

The point is, i just think if we want tex, we should just wait and get him in FA this summer rather than trade for him and then potentialy lose him in 2 months.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

i still don't get why people want to morgage 4 guys for a bat we don't really need at this exact moment (with youk and lowell in his 2 preferred spots) when we can make a run at him for free in 2 months, possably to play left/ move youk to left, whatever, depending on what we do with manny's option.

The point is, i just think if we want tex, we should just wait and get him in FA this summer rather than trade for him and then potentialy lose him in 2 months.
If we traded for Texiera we would work out a long term contract with him before the trade was finalized or we wouldn't do the deal. Then we'd probably move Manny for a reliever and prospects.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

If we traded for Texiera we would work out a long term contract with him before the trade was finalized or we wouldn't do the deal. Then we'd probably move Manny for a reliever and prospects.

btu again, why would you do that when you can wait and, lets be honest, bid against the yankees, the only other team that could put up the money, for him and keep everyone you would have traded for him?

also, i wouldn't be so sure that he has any interst in a long term deal. his agent is boras and he's about to play the bidding war. why would he ink himself to a long term deal for the sake of the trading market? If i were him, with both the sox and yanks intersted in a bat this offseason, i'd let them bid against each other for me, not sign a long term deal without hitting the market first.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

btu again, why would you do that when you can wait and, lets be honest, bid against the yankees, the only other team that could put up the money, for him and keep everyone you would have traded for him?

also, i wouldn't be so sure that he has any interst in a long term deal. his agent is boras and he's about to play the bidding war. why would he ink himself to a long term deal for the sake of the trading market? If i were him, with both the sox and yanks intersted in a bat this offseason, i'd let them bid against each other for me, not sign a long term deal without hitting the market first.

You trade Manny and make sure the team inks him to a long contract because if you don't he will be playing in pinstripes next year.
As far as why he would sign a long term contract now, it is for the same reason that the trading market for Texiera is lower than it should be. Most of the competing teams are set at the 1st base position so if he cares about winning at all he'd be well advised to sign a long termer.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i still don't see it. Boras clients don't give up FA bidding war chances. Thats why you hire boras. And, if as you say, he wants to play for a contender and get a ton of money, then again, he should just wait, because the yankees aren't "set at 1st base" they have giambi, who could DH for them, and is in the down swing of his career.

also, what makes you think he can't get a long termer in the FA market? the yankees will certainly be intersted. The red sox are said to be cold on this trade for the reasons someone already mentioned, they don't want to trade youk because he is very, very affordable until 2010 when he hits arbitration, but they might be willing to sign tex long term without giving up youk, to prepahre for the end of the mike lowell era in a few years. You could put either him or youk in left for the forseable future, pick up mannys two options and trade him, or let him walk or whatever you want to do.

It makes way, way to much sense for him to hit the market, and he will. Some team might get him in a rent trade for mid level prospects, but he won't sign a long term deal without hitting the market. he's the ONLY legit power hitter on the market this summer, someone is goign to sign him to a nice, fat long term contract.