Author Topic: 2022 ASG  (Read 770 times)

2022 ASG
« on: January 25, 2024, 07:05:02 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The 2022 NBA All-Star Game was definitely a missed opportunity to try something different (but definitely not something new).

Given it was the 75th anniversary season of the NBA, I would have loved to seen the league remove the 3 point line for the All-Star Game and see how the game plays out.

Purely from being an oddity, the ratings would have increased. For the NBA community, it would have been fascinating how current NBA stars adapted.

Do you also think this was a missed opportunity?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:54:38 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: 2021–22 ASG
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 07:10:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No missed opportunity, nothing special about 75. That said, I would love to see an exhibition game without the 3-pt line. I am old enough to remember a 5-point lead meant a 3 score lead, now it’s 7.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 07:16:35 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
No missed opportunity, nothing special about 75. That said, I would love to see an exhibition game without the 3-pt line. I am old enough to remember a 5-point lead meant a 3 score lead, now it’s 7.

I understand what you mean, but the season was a celebration of the past and removing the 3 point line for that ASG would have given it some validity and not as another gimmick. Heck, the NBA could have gone completely retro with an old fashioned court design and clothing.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 07:20:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I understand what you mean, but the season was a celebration of the past and removing the 3 point line for that ASG would have given it some validity and not as another gimmick. Heck, the NBA could have gone completely retro with the old fashioned court design and clothing.
Yeah, I can see that. Thing is, the 3-pt line changed this game forever. It is just not the same approach. Frankly, I think today’s players would struggle in a one-game exhibition, at least to start the game.

Re: 2022 ASG
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 09:38:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We would have just seen a bunch of uncontested dunks, rather than uncontested dunks and uncontested jumpers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes