Author Topic: Dwight Howard vs Anthony Davis  (Read 2843 times)

Dwight Howard vs Anthony Davis
« on: January 01, 2024, 06:56:01 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Dwight Howard has had an interesting career to say the least, but in no way does Anthony Davis deserve to be named one of the NBA's 75 greatest players over Howard.

Dwight Howard

1 x NBA Champion
5 × All-NBA First Team
1 x All-NBA Second Team
2 × All-NBA Third Team
3 × NBA Defensive Player of the Year
4 × NBA All-Defensive First Team
1 x NBA All-Defensive Second Team
5 × NBA rebounding leader
2 × NBA blocks leader

———

Anthony Davis

1 x NBA Champion
4 × All-NBA First Team
2 × NBA All-Defensive First Team
2 × NBA All-Defensive Second Team
3 × NBA blocks leader
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 07:14:42 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Dwight Howard vs Anthony Davis
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 08:00:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Here are their career stats from Basketball Reference.

(click to enlarge)

Regular Season

Playoffs

Since Dwight had a longer career including the last few years where he was basically a garbage time player and AD has only been playing for 12 years here are their career stats for the first 12 years of their careers, when both were/are in their primes:

First 12 years

Regular Season

Playoffs
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 08:40:40 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
If we’re excluding injuries, if I’m starting a team and I’m picking a player to build the team around,  I’m picking Davis over Howard 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.
Greg

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 09:11:50 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we’re excluding injuries, if I’m starting a team and I’m picking a player to build the team around,  I’m picking Davis over Howard 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

You can't exclude injuries when talking about a player like Day to Davis. AD has slotted in nicely next to an all-time great in Lebron, but he was always going to need a true #1 to succeed. I prefer Howard's dominance to AD's. If Lebron and Howard were playing together during Howard's prime, they likely would have done a number on the Celtics' big 3. I don't feel that way about AD.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 11:17:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

You can't exclude injuries when talking about a player like Day to Davis. AD has slotted in nicely next to an all-time great in Lebron, but he was always going to need a true #1 to succeed. I prefer Howard's dominance to AD's. If Lebron and Howard were playing together during Howard's prime, they likely would have done a number on the Celtics' big 3. I don't feel that way about AD.
Agreed - you can't ignore that his nickname is ADNP for a reason.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 11:49:31 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I think you also can't ignore personality. Howard has been a prickly player to play with and coach.

I'd go with Davis as well.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 12:39:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
If that back injury didn't kill him back in 2011-2012, Dwight's prime would not have ended so soon

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 12:45:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would take Davis if starting a team (in either era), but lists are based on resumes.  I agree, Dwight's resume is more accomplished.  He should have gotten the call for Top 75.

Working against Dwight:  he's a dink that opponents, teammates and coaches have hated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 02:02:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Dwight's definitely more accomplished but was he the better player? And which question are we looking to answer?

It's funny because I was thinking this morning about who was better: between AD and Pau gasol?: 2 versatile PF/C's who were/are championship caliber #2's. Throwing Dwight into the trio... I don't know how I'd rank them.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 04:18:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Dwight is more accomplished both individually and with team success as the teams best player.  Neither is particularly close.  Howard getting left off thst team was a travesty.  There is a better argument he is a top 40 player than there is that he wasn't in the top 76 at all.  Voters let personality get in the way of a truly easy decision.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 04:55:45 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I think you also can't ignore personality. Howard has been a prickly player to play with and coach.

This is true. It doesn't seem like many NBA people have positive things to say about Dwight.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 05:50:40 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Dwight had a much better supporting cast around him during the prime of his career in Orlando.  Davis had nobody in New Orleans, unless I’m just completely misremembering someone.

Maybe I’m over inflating Davis and under appreciating Dwight but my last impressions of him Orlando as ‘the guy’ left a lot to be desired and it’s mainly bc he just couldn’t deal with Perk when he played us.

….and yes I can accept that Davis problems staying healthy have to be included, but like someone else said, so does Dwight’s cancerous ‘Dwightmare’ personality.   I’ll take injury problems over a cancer.
Greg

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 06:06:01 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Dwight had a much better supporting cast around him during the prime of his career in Orlando.  Davis had nobody in New Orleans, unless I’m just completely misremembering someone.

Maybe I’m over inflating Davis and under appreciating Dwight but my last impressions of him Orlando as ‘the guy’ left a lot to be desired and it’s mainly bc he just couldn’t deal with Perk when he played us.

….and yes I can accept that Davis problems staying healthy have to be included, but like someone else said, so does Dwight’s cancerous ‘Dwightmare’ personality.   I’ll take injury problems over a cancer.

Wait, when do you think the prime of Davis ended? He started playing with Lebron when he was 26. Your prefer turkolu or rashard Lewis to Lebron? Kind of funny tbh

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 06:07:30 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Dwight is more accomplished both individually and with team success as the teams best player.  Neither is particularly close.  Howard getting left off thst team was a travesty.  There is a better argument he is a top 40 player than there is that he wasn't in the top 76 at all.  Voters let personality get in the way of a truly easy decision.

I agree with all of this

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 06:13:58 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Personalities were obviously irrelevant when it came to the 75 greatest players as Rick Barry (known racist) & Karl Malone (known pedophile) were both selected.

If you are going to make the shortened prime argument with Dwight then Bill Walton should be excluded too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 06:19:36 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine